Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya right. Tell that to 99% of Americans who don't have that type of disposable time. How many people bake from scratch?
You're correct that some people just don't have the time. But lots of other people choose not to make the time to cook, or bake from scratch. But the point is that if the OP wants to know why she's not losing weight, the first thing she has to do is figure out how much she's eating. That's going to require some sort of effort. She, like many, may decide it's not worth it. But that does not mean it's impossible, or even impractical. Reading lables, looking up calorie and nutrition facts about food online and weighing and measuring food for a couple of weeks is an easy, practical starting point for someone who truly desires to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Ya right. Tell that to 99% of Americans who don't have that type of disposable time. How many people bake from scratch?

We all have the same 24 hrs in a day...how you use them is up to you.

and many, many ppl (myself included) bake from scratch..not everyone is looking for the quick fix in life.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
My parents both worked full time jobs, raised 4 kids and grew almost all of our vegetables in our backyard. I look back at all they did and wonder how the heck they ever did it - the homemade sauces, the canning, the soups and stews that they froze for the winter..

I grew up loving fresh veggies and from scratch cooking. And I do a lot of from scratch cooking now. Unlike my parents, I buy most of my ingredients from the store though .

Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
My parents both worked full time jobs, raised 4 kids and grew almost all of our vegetables in our backyard. I look back at all they did and wonder how the heck they ever did it - the homemade sauces, the canning, the soups and stews that they froze for the winter..

I grew up loving fresh veggies and from scratch cooking. And I do a lot of from scratch cooking now. Unlike my parents, I buy most of my ingredients from the store though .

They weren't wasting time in front of the boob tube or on the internet, that's how they did it.

Do these things take time? Sure they do, but when you care enough about yourself and your family, you make time to do these things. You make time to cook at home, you make time to keep yourself healthy, you make the time...you dont' waste it.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
What a joke.
The average american watches 4 hours of tv a day.
13 hours a week on the internet.

Disposable time? People are so glued to their damn iphones all the time, it's a wonder they remember to breathe in and out.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
They weren't wasting time in front of the boob tube or on the internet, that's how they did it.

Do these things take time? Sure they do, but when you care enough about yourself and your family, you make time to do these things. You make time to cook at home, you make time to keep yourself healthy, you make the time...you dont' waste it.
They somehow managed to fit in some quality time with the boob tube whenever their favorite shows came on, too. But t.v. wasn't 24/7 like it is now. And of course no internet. In general people spent more time "doing" in those days..

At any rate, once you get used to it, cooking from scratch really isn't all that time consuming. You can make a quick chicken/fresh veggie stir fry faster than it would take you to go out, get, bring home fast food. It's cheaper, too.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
We all have the same 24 hrs in a day...how you use them is up to you.

and many, many ppl (myself included) bake from scratch..not everyone is looking for the quick fix in life.

If your time is worth $3/hour then go for it. It isn't necessary to cook from scratch in order to be healthy. Now, if cooking from scratch is your hobby or means to relax, why not? (I spend hours putzing in the yards doing gardening for fun and relaxation.)

Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
If your time is worth $3/hour then go for it. It isn't necessary to cook from scratch in order to be healthy. Now, if cooking from scratch is your hobby or means to relax, why not? (I spend hours putzing in the yards doing gardening for fun and relaxation.)
a. what's your alternative?
b. it takes me less than 30 minutes to prepare a plethora of tasty, healthy meals.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
a. what's your alternative?
b. it takes me less than 30 minutes to prepare a plethora of tasty, healthy meals.
That includes weighing the items?
You do that 21 times a week?

And, by the way, our family eats cook from scratch dinners about 5 times a week, maybe leftovers once and maybe bring something in once. It's not like we don't cook from scratch. My breakfasts are grabbing whole foods (hard boiled eggs, cheese, bread, peanut butter, a leftover piece of something, a piece or two of fruit) from the fridge in the morning as I head out the door. Lunch for me is leftovers. Cheap, easy, and healthy.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
That includes weighing the items?
You do that 21 times a week?
Nope.
Make a batch all at once and parcel it out over the course of the week.

Other meals can include stuff that doesn't require prep - raw veggies, fruit, nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss