Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times

Advertisements

People need to be accountable for their behaviors and actions. When you blame the food industry it is not being accountable. In a persons life there will be temptations of unhealthy foods, stress, media I could go on. It is each persons responsibility to make healthy choices and if they are not educated then to get the information they need to so they can make the best choice. Obesity does not happen over night and so a person has plenty of time to say that they need help in what is healthy and not to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
People need to be accountable for their behaviors and actions. When you blame the food industry it is not being accountable. In a persons life there will be temptations of unhealthy foods, stress, media I could go on. It is each persons responsibility to make healthy choices and if they are not educated then to get the information they need to so they can make the best choice. Obesity does not happen over night and so a person has plenty of time to say that they need help in what is healthy and not to eat.

But it's easier to blame the food industry. It's easier to blame society. It's easier to blame the neighbor's dog than it is to look at yourself in the mirror and blame yourself for your weight and health issues.

Someone posted on another thread that they can't stop themselves from hitting the donut shop after a workout. You can't stop yourself? Are you friggin kidding me? Yes, you can stop yourself, you just don't want to.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
But it's easier to blame the food industry. It's easier to blame society. It's easier to blame the neighbor's dog than it is to look at yourself in the mirror and blame yourself for your weight and health issues.

Someone posted on another thread that they can't stop themselves from hitting the donut shop after a workout. You can't stop yourself? Are you friggin kidding me? Yes, you can stop yourself, you just don't want to.
Another sensible post Kim. Too bad it will fall on deaf ears. I was in a Starbucks the other day getting an iced tea because it was over 100 degrees out. There were two girls waiting ahead of me for their drinks to be made. A fit, thin girl and her friend who was at least 100 lbs overweight. The thin girl got an iced tea with Splenda which was made first. Then they called a venti chocolate chip Frappicino with whip and of course that was for the obese girl. As far as I could see there was no conspiracy that made her order it. Her thin friend got an iced tea and she could have followed her lead. But no, she wanted the bazillion calorie drink.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Another sensible post Kim. Too bad it will fall on deaf ears. I was in a Starbucks the other day getting an iced tea because it was over 100 degrees out. There were two girls waiting ahead of me for their drinks to be made. A fit, thin girl and her friend who was at least 100 lbs overweight. The thin girl got an iced tea with Splenda which was made first. Then they called a venti chocolate chip Frappicino with whip and of course that was for the obese girl. As far as I could see there was no conspiracy that made her order it. Her thin friend got an iced tea and she could have followed her lead. But no, she wanted the bazillion calorie drink.

Well, it is what it is. It's about self control and willing to acknowledge that you do have control over what hits your pie hole.

I don't even what to know the calories/fat/sugar in that drink! A guy at work yesterday was trying to tell me that the Twister drink (?) wasn't unhealthy and in fact was good for you to drink!

Tropicana - 100% Pure Squeezed Florida Sunshine

Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
OMG Those are all high fructose corn syrup! Good for you? Ha!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I also don't buy that the population is too stupid to know how to eat healthy. It can't get much simpler than the food manufacturer's putting a breakdown of calories and nutrients on everything. Sure, when I needed to lose weight I had to read a little and pay more attention, but it was difficult... and that's because I was motivated.

I didn't expect a pill, or frozen foods from weight watchers, or some claim I can eat all the bacon if I want if I forego all carbs.... just ate well and exercised.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
People need to be accountable for their behaviors and actions. When you blame the food industry it is not being accountable.
And, as I said the first time you said this, people [i]are[/o] accountable for their behaviors....that is the basis of our legal system. Suggesting that the food industry has greatly influenced people's eating behaviors in ways that have made them obese....isn't the same as saying that people shouldn't be accountable for their dietary choices.

But in addition to adult obesity, we also have a growing children obesity problem. Should we blame obese children for being obese while me ignore the fact that the food industry markets junk food to them on a daily basis?

Until the corrupting influence of the food industry is stopped with appropriate regulations its unlikely that Americans will solve their weight problems.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It can't get much simpler than the food manufacturer's putting a breakdown of calories and nutrients on everything.
Food labeling in the US is fairly minimal, it doesn't tell you much. Food labels list the calories, calories from fat (this is new), fat in grams (and break-down by type), carbohydrate (makes no distinction on type other than listing sugar/fiber) and 4 nutrients. Hardly a comprehensive view of the food.

The food labeling laws also allow for a lot of tricks, I think the most amusing is "fat-free" spray oil. These products are 100% oil yet marketed as "fat-free" because food labeling allows you to put "0" if its less than .5 gram. Make your serving size very small (1/3 second spray) and voila...a fat-free food. They use the same trick for "trans-fat free".

Regardless, you're not going to figure out how to eat healthfully by reading food labels. Food labels are only useful, and only mildly so, once you understand what is and isn't healthful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
As far as I could see there was no conspiracy that made her order it. Her thin friend got an iced tea and she could have followed her lead. But no, she wanted the bazillion calorie drink.
You don't see anything because you're watching one purchase divorced from any context about the two girls life.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Food labeling in the US is fairly minimal, it doesn't tell you much. Food labels list the calories, calories from fat (this is new), fat in grams (and break-down by type), carbohydrate (makes no distinction on type other than listing sugar/fiber) and 4 nutrients. Hardly a comprehensive view of the food.

The food labeling laws also allow for a lot of tricks, I think the most amusing is "fat-free" spray oil. These products are 100% oil yet marketed as "fat-free" because food labeling allows you to put "0" if its less than .5 gram. Make your serving size very small (1/3 second spray) and voila...a fat-free food. They use the same trick for "trans-fat free".

Regardless, you're not going to figure out how to eat healthfully by reading food labels. Food labels are only useful, and only mildly so, once you understand what is and isn't healthful.

You don't see anything because you're watching one purchase divorced from any context about the two girls life.

There is a huge difference eating healthy and reducing obesity. There is more than enough info on food label for someone to know they are eating more calories than necessary.

The thread topic is on obesity, not healthy eating. While they can go hand in hand (should), it is very possible to eat healthy and still be overweight.

Just jump over to the thread and read the Ninety-nine cent store diet.

I eat healthier than a large part of the population.... I still have to watch the quantity if I want to fit in my size 2 jeans.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And, as I said the first time you said this, people [i]are[/o] accountable for their behaviors....that is the basis of our legal system. Suggesting that the food industry has greatly influenced people's eating behaviors in ways that have made them obese....isn't the same as saying that people shouldn't be accountable for their dietary choices.

But in addition to adult obesity, we also have a growing children obesity problem. Should we blame obese children for being obese while me ignore the fact that the food industry markets junk food to them on a daily basis?

Until the corrupting influence of the food industry is stopped with appropriate regulations its unlikely that Americans will solve their weight problems.

No I don't think we should blame children but I do feel their parents are to blame. The parents made a choice to feed or buy those products. Some kids would eat from morning till night if allowed or only pick unhealthy items. It is a job of a parent to implement healthy guidelines. There is a place for treats such as cookies but that needs to be in moderation.
I understand that some food labels are hard to understand and create confusion such as the butter spray but small confusing items as this does not lead to someone becoming 50 or 100 pounds overweight. A person who is 100 pounds overweight, daily and for a long period of time is making wrong choices where they can be taking in 1000s of calories more then they need.
If people don't know what is healthy or what their body needs then they need to get educated. I have to believe when a person who is obese goes to the doctor they are told that they are unhealthy and need to make changes yet years go by for some and they don't. They still blame xyz and by doing so it just keeps them stuck. Even if a person is not ready to make changes I believe the first step is to acknowledge and take ownership of their behaviors. A person may have barriers such as thyroid that wont let them being skinny but they still can make steps to be healthier. If a person has binge eating disorder they reach out for therapy. If the person is not educated in what is healthy or not then they get informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss