Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times

Advertisements

Obesity: It's officially a disease | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,191 times
I have no problem with this, it is simply describing a condition that is outside the norm. That doesn't mean that people don't have a role in getting themselves there.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Maybe it could be a complications of obesity?

As for obesity itself, I think it's a mental issue.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Maybe it could be a complications of obesity?

As for obesity itself, I think it's a mental issue.

For some obese people it is a mental issue; diet and exercise isn't enough for them. They need to find out WHY they are overeating...for them obesity is just a symptom of a much larger problem ( no pun intended)

Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Not everyone who is obese should be classified has having a disease. Some people just like to eat, and they don't care what they're eating. There are certainly obese people who really can't lose weight, whether that's due to genetics or whatever. Gluttony isn't a disease, though. There's probably no way to separate one from the other, of course, so I understand why obesity is now classified as a disease of its own, but I'm not totally comfortable with the idea.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Not everyone who is obese should be classified has having a disease. Some people just like to eat, and they don't care what they're eating. There are certainly obese people who really can't lose weight, whether that's due to genetics or whatever. Gluttony isn't a disease, though. There's probably no way to separate one from the other, of course, so I understand why obesity is now classified as a disease of its own, but I'm not totally comfortable with the idea.
Sandy I completely agree with you...but this new classification of obesity being a "disease" goes along with the whole "victim" mentality that is prevalent in our society...this philosophy allows people to be unaccountable for a number of things....obesity being one. If you have a disease, then how could you be accountable for having that? You are a victim - helpless...Nah - I don't believe that for one moment.

I do think that at some point obese people may need help - they may need counseling and perhaps a mentor - but in the beginning, middle and end of the obesity process, the obese person has to ultimately do the work to lose the weight (which is very difficult sometimes)...no one is going to do that work for them and there isn't any medicine or magic elixir that will do it for them.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Got a feeling this decision has nothing to do with medical or physiology consideration but rather insurance, categorical/classifications, and financial considerations.

Still, even if it is (now) considered a disease, I don't think that this will result in significant changes for overweight people. The only "benefit" is more money might be able to be spent on fighting obesity. I don't think throwing money at this problem will result in too much more success. If it did, then there would be a lot less rich overweight people.

Other than weight loss surgery, obesity is problem for which there is no known long term solution that works for more than about 5% of people.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Sandy I completely agree with you...but this new classification of obesity being a "disease" goes along with the whole "victim" mentality that is prevalent in our society...this philosophy allows people to be unaccountable for a number of things....obesity being one. If you have a disease, then how could you be accountable for having that? You are a victim - helpless...Nah - I don't believe that for one moment.

I do think that at some point obese people may need help - they may need counseling and perhaps a mentor - but in the beginning, middle and end of the obesity process, the obese person has to ultimately do the work to lose the weight (which is very difficult sometimes)...no one is going to do that work for them and there isn't any medicine or magic elixir that will do it for them.
Why does making it a disease mean that you are a victim or have no accountability?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Not everyone who is obese should be classified has having a disease. Some people just like to eat, and they don't care what they're eating..
Based on that logic, a lot of alcoholics wouldn't be classified has having a disease.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Is AIDS a disease since by making different decisions, developing a new lifestyle, and different habits, (all buzzwords directed at people who are obese), it would eventually be eliminated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss