Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is no such thing as lazy. A person isn't lazy; He is just doing what he wants to do.

Lazy is what person A calls person B when person B doesn't do what person A wants Person B to do.
Beyond ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
I find it interesting that very few people realize that there are some serious endocrine disrupters in our environment and foods which can have a significant impact on weight loss. One that comes to mind is BPA. Throw in menopause ( more hormone imbalance) and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't think medicine is really there yet when it comes to metabolic problems for some folks.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Beyond ridiculous.
Thanks, I knew you'd agree.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as lazy. A person isn't lazy; He is just doing what he wants to do.

Lazy is what person A calls person B when person B doesn't do what person A wants Person B to do.
Why do you assume person A wants person B to do anything? Trust me, nobody cares. But, people are lazy. It's how most become obese.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why do you assume person A wants person B to do anything? Trust me, nobody cares. But, people are lazy. It's how most get obese.
I don't trust you.

And, if most people get obese because they are lazy, does that mean most people who are not obese aren't lazy? Is that the difference? Thin people are simply less lazy? Thin = willpower and fat = no willpower? That's pretty interesting.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I find it interesting that very few people realize that there are some serious endocrine disrupters in our environment and foods which can have a significant impact on weight loss. One that comes to mind is BPA. Throw in menopause ( more hormone imbalance) and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't think medicine is really there yet when it comes to metabolic problems for some folks.
The other side of that is that our society over consumes. The idea of restriction is pretty novel. That's not to say some people aren't physiologically disadvantaged, but it doesn't appear to be the norm.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I don't trust you.

And, if most people get obese because they are lazy, does that mean most people who are not obese aren't lazy? Is that the difference? Thin people are simply less lazy? Thin = willpower and fat = no willpower? That's pretty interesting.
Not at all. No need to take flying leaps in logic here. A person can be thin and lazy with a lazy life style. That person just doesn't suffer the same consequence.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why do you assume person A wants person B to do anything? Trust me, nobody cares. But, people are lazy. It's how most become obese.
It's how most become obese? What about BPA that is in every canned food on the market. Even those who avoid canned foods can get it in plastics and it there is science based evidence it disrupts the endocrine system. Once that system is messed up, it can be an enormous problem for weight loss. It's only recently that some companies are making BPA free plastics. But I believe Europe had banned this years ago. USA has a lot of crap in the food supply Europe has banned. And damage has been done. How do we reverse it?

I realize there are many who think nothing of sitting around scarfing down a bag of chips every day and have never seen the inside of a gym, or live on sugar, but I don't think that is the norm.
There are plenty of clean eaters who work out religiously at the gym doing weights and cardio, and some of those people are not losing weight the way you would expect them to. So what is causing their inability to lose 10 pounds...Cortisol? Leptin? Hormone Imbalance? Thyroid? See the pattern - these are all hormones. And leptin wasn't even discovered until fairly recently. Medicine is behind the times when it comes to weight loss mechanisms - calories in/calories burned is old school. And the more toxins in our food and soil, the more chance of throwing off the endocrine system.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
It's how most become obese? What about BPA that is in every canned food on the market. Even those who avoid canned foods can get it in plastics and it there is science based evidence it disrupts the endocrine system. Once that system is messed up, it can be an enormous problem for weight loss. It's only recently that some companies are making BPA free plastics. But I believe Europe had banned this years ago. USA has a lot of crap in the food supply Europe has banned. And damage has been done. How do we reverse it?

I realize there are many who think nothing of sitting around scarfing down a bag of chips every day and have never seen the inside of a gym, or live on sugar, but I don't think that is the norm.
There are plenty of clean eaters who work out religiously at the gym doing weights and cardio, and some of those people are not losing weight the way you would expect them to. So what is causing their inability to lose 10 pounds...Cortisol? Leptin? Hormone Imbalance? Thyroid? See the pattern - these are all hormones. And leptin wasn't even discovered until fairly recently. Medicine is behind the times when it comes to weight loss mechanisms - calories in/calories burned is old school. And the more toxins in our food and soil, the more chance of throwing off the endocrine system.
I agree with this completely. So many overweight people begin a diet and exercise plan, work hard at it and see NO results. It's easy to stay the course when you see the fruits of your labors, but when you don't not so much. If research leads to treatments for the metabolic and hormonal issues that stand in the way of successful weight loss for many, I think that'd be a good thing. The overweight would still have to do the work (diet and exercise), but if medical intervention can assist in removing the road blocks to success, that's a win-win.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:

I see many people that are obese and I can testify on the one's I see. It is a major problem. They are on the lazy side, and do not seem to care about a proper diet at all. At least the one's that are mobile and capable of doing something active. It's a retirement community for 55 and over retiree's. Part of the reason I am leaving in 2 weeks after 1 year here is the lifestyle. The so called active lifestyle is very misleading. These are not my idea of active adults at all. They seem old even the one's that are barely 60. I'm shocked everytime I see what they eat, and how lacking in physical stamina many seem to be. There isn't a venue or club here where boxes of donuts and tons of sweets isn't a part of daily life. No place for me. Only a handful of people walk in a very walkable area. It is all golf carts and driving their cars very short distances. To every restaurant with the worst of the diets. Like Buffets at Golden Coral, or BBQ restaurants, McDonalds. You name it they go every day.

So as far as I'm concerned laziness and just don't care attitude, is a big part of their obesity. Probably always has been. I think it is in many instances in American society. It's just many do not want to admit just how much laziness, and not taking responsibility for one's self is rampant in American society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss