Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
A single study cannot establish a "causative link", but there are hundreds of studies on saturated fat and taken together they provide strong evidence of a causal link. That is why the American Heart Association and just about every major medical association under the sun recommends that one limit saturate fat intake.
That is exactly the assertion that the study I referenced shows is not accurate. Also, saturated fat tends to be consumed with other foods. Hamburgers come wrapped in buns, steaks often come with fries, and many are washing it all down with soda and an ice-cream for dessert. The focus for the past few decades has always been on fat. Manufacturers started removing it from their products and replacing with fillers such as artificial colors, flavors, and refined sugars and grains.

There are populations that consume higher amounts of saturated fats and have high cholesterol, yet show little heart disease. There is NO population that consumes high amounts of sugars that does not show higher inflammation, heart disease, and every other disease under the sun. I don't think it's fair to target sat fats as the instigator of disease based on no conclusive evidence and the fact we have consumed them for millions of years as a species, with heart disease only becoming a major player during the last 200 years or so, which is coincidentally the time we started industrializing food using corn by-products and sugar (and later, HFCS) as the primary ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
As for Ancel Keys, he was a prolific researcher, and there is nothing "flawed" about his so called 7 countries study.
He presented his research in a way that showed a definitive link between intake of sat fat and heart disease, which is the pattern/conclusion he wanted to find and one that he continued to promote for his entire career. Gov't seized on this and McGovern used it as the basis of the dietary guidelines for America during the 70's. Other researchers have since gone back to his data and looked at all 22 countries involved, not just the 6 (corrected) he referenced as they showed the most dramatic pattern. The data is not as conclusive as we've been led to believe.

Quote:
Anyhow, you seem to be referencing a lot of low-carb diet authors.
I am not a "low-carb" proponent. I am more of a whole foods proponent. I think the human body operates best and is healthiest when the diet revolves around animal proteins, fats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and grains and dairy as desired and tolerated.

I think the single biggest dietary change has been the proliferation of cheap filler sugars in most of our foods and many of the all-too-common health issues we see today, from depression, obesity, diabetes, IBS, acid reflux, cancer, heart disease, and even erectile dysfunction, are related to diet. It's not the only factor, but probably the largest contributing one. It is striking to look at pictures of people from the 60's, 70's and even early 80's, and see how much more noticeably thin they are. The era before "low-fat" and "HFCS" really took off.

Until the evidence clearly shows causation, and not just correlation, I think saturated fats should continue to be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet of whole foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

I am not a "low-carb" proponent. I am more of a whole foods proponent. I think the human body operates best and is healthiest when the diet revolves around animal proteins, fats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and grains and dairy as desired and tolerated.

I agree with all of your post, but especially what you wrote above. I would add that variety of ALL the above is healthier. We try to rotate our proteins, grains, veggies and fruits, a lot of fresh herbs and spices.

There are studies, findings, and theories and other ones to contradict them all. I think it is reasonable to ignore most of them and eat a variety of whole foods.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I was never able to lose all the weight and keep it off until I went on a plant based diet. My diet was very strict vegan for the 1st year but I now eat salmon 3 or 4 times a month and Greek non-fat plain yogurt several times a week. I use feta cheese in my salads - occasionally....other than that my diet is all plant based - quite a bit of it is raw and I eat as little processed foods as possible. For the most part I add no oils to my diet - once in a great while I will wipe a pan out with a paper towel with a little coconut oil on it but usually I use veggie stock, broth or water to sauté vegetables.

I do not eat refined sugar or baked goods other than a couple of pieces of gluten free bread every 2 or 3 weeks (it has been a while).....I eat brown rice and quinoa occasionally (once or twice a month), oatmeal or buckwheat daily....once you are off sugar for a while you truly do not miss it and I get plenty of sugar in fruits and veggies....I use plain powdered or liquid stevia when I need to sweeten something like a green smoothie.

I get plenty of protein - nuts, beans, organic tofu, lentils.

My skin looks the best it has in many years....there is just something about the way I eat that promotes clear eyes and nice skin.

I weighed 205 lbs to begin with and now weigh 129 - 5'8 1/2"....I actually need to eat 2 snacks a day in order to maintain my weight. I have a tremendous amount of energy and my physical this year was the best it has every been. My blood pressure is now perfect for the first time in almost 20 years.

I believe that we should eat animal products in moderation and that they should comprise a very small percentage of our overall diet.

I needed some new khakis and bought some this weekend at The Gap - I year a size 2 now, but the main benefit to my diet is that I am very healthy and feel great.

I am now modestly vegetarian...

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-17-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Congratulations on the weight loss!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Congratulations on the weight loss!
Thank you - it has been a journey that is for sure. One thing that was so different about this weight loss is that it was truly a lifestyle change that included eliminating many of the foods that were making me unhealthy (albeit because of my inability to control my eating of those particular foods) and one surprising factor: I never gained weight during the weight loss phase...I consistently lost weight. I save no "fat" clothes as I had always done when dieting (knowing in my heart that I would probably regain weight I had lost). I emptied my fridge, freezer and pantry of foods that did not fit our new way of eating (my husband also changed his diet right along with me).

Here is a picture of my granddaughter and me that my husband took this weekend. She will be 13 next month - I will be 63 in 2 months. No editing has prevented this picture from appearing sideways - so sorry. I am wearing a size 6 dress that needs to be altered to a 4.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Beautiful pic!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Thank you - it has been a journey that is for sure. One thing that was so different about this weight loss is that it was truly a lifestyle change that included eliminating many of the foods that were making me unhealthy (albeit because of my inability to control my eating of those particular foods) and one surprising factor: I never gained weight during the weight loss phase...I consistently lost weight. I save no "fat" clothes as I had always done when dieting (knowing in my heart that I would probably regain weight I had lost). I emptied my fridge, freezer and pantry of foods that did not fit our new way of eating (my husband also changed his diet right along with me).

Here is a picture of my granddaughter and me that my husband took this weekend. She will be 13 next month - I will be 63 in 2 months. No editing has prevented this picture from appearing sideways - so sorry. I am wearing a size 6 dress that needs to be altered to a 4.
it's so nice to put a face to your name! What a beautiful picture! and you look damn good for a 63 yr old gma!!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM

67 posts, read 169,073 times
Quote:

OMG, I think you have just become my new role model! This is what I would like to look like in my 60ies.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Wow - thanks everyone!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
Quote:
I have a tremendous amount of energy and my physical this year was the best it has every been. My blood pressure is now perfect for the first time in almost 20 years...I believe that we should eat animal products in moderation and that they should comprise a very small percentage of our overall diet.
Your results are amazing and this diet is certainly working for you. Congrats!

I might disagree on your feelings about animal products as I feel their nutrient quality is unparalleled and of immense benefit to health. I understand the ethics involved, but I also understand that nature demands that life consumes life and that we can strive to treat animals humanely and with dignity.

Everyone is different and we must seek what works best for our personal metabolisms and lifestyles. If a mostly plant diet works best, so be it. The important thing is to be healthy and happy. Congrats again on your inspiring results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss