Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Your results are amazing and this diet is certainly working for you. Congrats!

I might disagree on your feelings about animal products as I feel their nutrient quality is unparalleled and of immense benefit to health. I understand the ethics involved, but I also understand that nature demands that life consumes life and that we can strive to treat animals humanely and with dignity.

Everyone is different and we must seek what works best for our personal metabolisms and lifestyles. If a mostly plant diet works best, so be it. The important thing is to be healthy and happy. Congrats again on your inspiring results.
Yet I am perfectly healthy and slender without meat as is my husband and several other couples we know.....proving that meat is not necessary for good nutrition. For us eating a mostly plant based diet has less to do with ethics than with health. Nature does most certainly not demand that we consume life....that is your opinion.
Can you eat animal products and be healthy? Of course but you can also avoid or severely limit animal products and be healthy. There is no unseen force mandating that we kill things in order to be healthy.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-18-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
That is exactly the assertion that the study I referenced shows is not accurate. Also, saturated fat tends to be consumed with other foods.
Firstly, just in case you're not aware, industry funds a lot of junk science in admit to create doubt about established ideas. With that said, a single study even if well conducted does not refute decades of research. You have to look at the research as a whole, not cherry pick studies, and when you do that you see strong evidence that intake of saturated fat increases your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Quote:
There is NO population that consumes high amounts of sugars that does not show higher inflammation, heart disease, and every other disease under the sun.
This depends on what you mean by "sugar", if you're just talking about refined sugar then this is true...but there is also no society that eats a lot of refined sugar with also eating a lot of fat. But if you mean sugar in a more general sense, then no, there are a number of societies that eat high amounts of sugar (in the form of fruits) that have very low rates of heart disease, etc. Just as there are numerous societies that consume large amounts of grains, or starchy foods in general, that have low rates of cardiovascular disease.

Quote:
He presented his research in a way that showed a definitive link between intake of sat fat and heart disease, which is the pattern/conclusion he wanted to find and one that he continued to promote for his entire career.
This is the story low-carb book authors like to tell, but if you read the actual studies (most are freely available) you'll find that he he was by no means dogmatic and was simply following the evidence. But as I mentioned, hundreds of studies have been conducted since he did this work so it doesn't make much sense to give it much sense. The fact that people are giving it so much attention should tell you want is really going on, namely, diversion.

Quote:
I think the single biggest dietary change has been the proliferation of cheap filler sugars in most of our foods and many of the all-too-common health issues we see today, from depression, obesity, diabetes, IBS, acid reflux, cancer, heart disease, and even erectile dysfunction, are related to diet..
There have been many changes in the American diet over the last 50 years, doesn't make too much sense to isolate your attention to refined sugars.

But, the health consequences of refined sugar is entirely independent of the health consequences of saturated fat. The consumption of both is known to increase your risk for heart disease, though the link with saturated fat was known first.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I might disagree on your feelings about animal products as I feel their nutrient quality is unparalleled and of immense benefit to health. I understand the ethics involved, but I also understand that nature demands that life consumes life and that we can strive to treat animals humanely and with dignity.
Meats, as a whole, aren't that nutritious. For example, whole grain wheat is more nutrient dense than most meats per calorie. Now, there are some meats, or animal foods in general, that are pretty nutrient dense but people tend not to eat them. For example, clams and oysters are very nutrient dense.

But, in regard to obesity, meats play a big role since people are primarily eating fatty and hence calorie dense meats. If one insists on eating meat, they can choose leaner and less calorie dense meats and this will facilitate weight management. That is, instead of steaks, pork chops, bacon,etc...they can eat chicken breast, shrimp, lean fish, oysters, etc. You'll notice, that such a switch would also greatly reduce your saturated fat intake as well = )

Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Nature does most certainly not demand that we consume life....that is your opinion.
Not exactly. Plants are also living things. They aren't as cute, but are still very much alive.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There have been many changes in the American diet over the last 50 years, doesn't make too much sense to isolate your attention to refined sugars...
One could say the same about saturated fats...

Refined sugars have played a large role in our current problems, as history will bear. They are not the only factor, but one that has certainly played more havoc with our metabolisms than most others. I don't think that is controversial or really debated at this point.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
One could say the same about saturated fats...

Refined sugars have played a large role in our current problems, as history will bear. They are not the only factor, but one that has certainly played more havoc with our metabolisms than most others. I don't think that is controversial or really debated at this point.
Right you could, and you should, excess saturated fat consumption is by on means the only problem with the standard American diet.

But when people start talking about refined sugar in response to a claim about saturated fat, well, its a diversion..... These are two separate issues.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreya92 View Post
obesity is not such a thing which will not be cured , it’s on us.... when we start eating more and over-eating will be making you more obese. you could diet and exercise together to lose excess fat in one’s body or if this won’t work consult a weight loss surgeon who could be a perfect person to make you fit.

Diet and exercise ALWAYS works and a weight loss surgeon will NOT make you fit.

It's all on you...no one else...just YOU.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
[quote=shreya92;30818563]obesity is not such a thing which will not be cured , it’s on us.... when we start eating more and over-eating will be making you more obese. you could diet and exercise together to lose excess fat in one’s body or if this won’t work consult a weight loss surgeon who could be a perfect person to make you fit.[/QU

Ridiculous. No one can "make you fit." Surgery is potentially dangerous and in the end self- mastery with regards to food is necessary in order to keep the pounds off. There are plenty of obese people who have had weight loss surgery but chose to continue to eat poorly after the surgery.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
[quote=Cattknap;30818812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreya92 View Post
obesity is not such a thing which will not be cured , it’s on us.... when we start eating more and over-eating will be making you more obese. you could diet and exercise together to lose excess fat in one’s body or if this won’t work consult a weight loss surgeon who could be a perfect person to make you fit.[/QU

Ridiculous. No one can "make you fit." Surgery is potentially dangerous and in the end self- mastery with regards to food is necessary in order to keep the pounds off. There are plenty of obese people who have had weight loss surgery but chose to continue to eat poorly after the surgery.

and end up heavier than they were before they had sugery.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 PM

19 posts, read 25,884 times
"Yes, but why are they eating such caloric dense foods? Its well known that the combination of fat, sugar and salt elicits a drug like response in the brain......and these foods are everywhere. Its like trying to overcome alcoholism when someone is offering you free beer at every corner...."

Great comment. Most people just don't get this. It's more than something just tasting good. It's a mental AND physical reaction. Not to mention the fact that each and every person's body processes food differently. You could take two people, feed them the exact same food and one would lose weight and one would gain. There is no one answer for everyone's obesity issue.

One thing that will benefit everyone is physical movement. It may not be easy at first, but the old saying "use it or lose it" is true when it comes to physical activity. Also, physical activity may not mean you will lose weight just by moving but your body will become stronger making physical movement easier in time. Small steps and one day at a time.

Now to the original post: Obesity is now a disease. I'm not sure if I consider it a disease but it is definitely a medical condition that can lead to other diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss