Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

You need to kick that 15 minutes on the treadmill up to at least an hour. Depending on how much you currently weigh, you will need to mainitain your heartrate at a certain level for maximum fat burning. You can mix it up too. Do treadmill one day, stairmaster the next, bike the next, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I'd hate to say, that you doctor was wrong. If you look at you BMI with a height of 5;8" and a weight of 148.2, you BMI is 22.5, which is normal. Here you go:
A doctors office will calculate it correctly, using equipment, so their number should be more accurate.
Those standardized charts are just those, standardized, they don't allow for personal variations.

Most likely the doctor is right and the OP is just an unusual shape or has very low muscle mass.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:14 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
If you're only going to work out once a day you're going to have to go for 2 hrs at a time. 15 min on the treadmill isn't going to cut it.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:48 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
A doctors office will calculate it correctly, using equipment, so their number should be more accurate.
Those standardized charts are just those, standardized, they don't allow for personal variations.

Most likely the doctor is right and the OP is just an unusual shape or has very low muscle mass.

Maybe. I still find it hard to believe that someone who is 5'8" and 148 is considered overweight.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:18 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
You can do what my brother did.... patent his "life by orange juice alone" diet

but seriously, I was told you have to have an accelerated heatbeat for at least 30 minutes (no matter what your doing) to have an impact on your exercise schedule/metabolism rate.

I have a few ideas that have gotten me to drop pounds fast in the last 10 years or so... DM me if your interested. I wouldn't want to publisize them and reap the consequences of "what's not healthy" and what is. I lost 70 pounds in 5 months. And yes, it stayed off until I gained about 20 back when I became pregnant. And no, I don't have any kids. I lost her, and yes, I'm losing the weight again!. anything else? Drink lots of water.

PS: muscle weighs more than fat!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
You can do what my brother did.... patent his "life by orange juice alone" diet

but seriously, I was told you have to have an accelerated heatbeat for at least 30 minutes (no matter what your doing) to have an impact on your exercise schedule/metabolism rate.

I have a few ideas that have gotten me to drop pounds fast in the last 10 years or so... DM me if your interested. I wouldn't want to publisize them and reap the consequences of "what's not healthy" and what is. I lost 70 pounds in 5 months. And yes, it stayed off until I gained about 20 back when I became pregnant. And no, I don't have any kids. I lost her, and yes, I'm losing the weight again!. anything else? Drink lots of water.

PS: muscle weighs more than fat!!!
Dang, girl! DM ME with your ideas!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
You also need to drastically increase the cardio. 15 minutes isn't going to do much. I would try something like a spin class that is high calorie burning, more like 5-7 times a week. 10 pounds is 6 weeks is also quite a bit (depending on how much you weigh). You could even consult a trainer at a gym to see if this is realistic for your body weight. You don't want to do this in an unhealthy way.
I know everyone thinks cardio is king, but it actually does not do much in terms of weight loss in a short amount of time. Muscle burns more calories, so you need to strength train, period. People jump around like crazy people doing aerobics and get let down when they lose a grand total of 3 pounds in 4 weeks.

If you must do cardio to feel like you are working out, get The Firm DVDs. It combines cardio and weights and you will lose 10 lbs in 6 weeks with a combination of that and a clean diet.

If you are really desperate do a detox-- Google 21 pounds in 21 days and you'll find the Marth'a Vineyard Detox. I did it for 1 week and lost 7 pounds. It's a short term quick fix, but that's all it is.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
I know everyone thinks cardio is king, but it actually does not do much in terms of weight loss in a short amount of time. Muscle burns more calories, so you need to strength train, period. People jump around like crazy people doing aerobics and get let down when they lose a grand total of 3 pounds in 4 weeks.
But, you absolutely need to combine cardio with your weight training to boost your metabolism or you won't loose the weight.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
I never said you didn't need to do cardio (read my paragraph that followed the one you quoted), I am just saying that people who depend on it solely for weight loss are the ones who end up frustrated at the lack of results and raid the fridge.

Cardio strengthens one's heart and respiratory system and helps to burn calories. It is integral to one's health. It does not change body shape in a dramatic way, and does not give quick results. My good friend is a runner (two marathons this year alone)-- thin....but flabby. Have you ever seen a size 4 who is flabby? Well, she is!! Plus it took her a solid year or more to get from an 8 to a 4 on cardio alone (she does not strength train).

Bottom line: quicker weight loss and changing one's overall shape cannot be accomplished without strength training. What you stated in your post is exactly why I suggested The Firm DVDs, as they combine both efficiently for great results.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
if you want to loose about 15-20 pounds in two months safely and increase your overall health... Try the Fat Flush Diet. Very simple program and with daily exercise you can do it easily if you dont stray and cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss