Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Maybe. I still find it hard to believe that someone who is 5'8" and 148 is considered overweight.
Probably why the doctor ran the test twice, and then as the OP mentioned - he wants her to drop fat and put on muscle (she said that specifically). So it sounds less like the doc wants her to lose weight and more like he wants her to get fitter. BMI when tested properly is far more particular and specific than just a standard figure for "overweight". It specifically takes into consideration the percentage of fat a person is carrying.

She could of course get a second opinion from another doctor. Much better than an internet forum - even doctors online will always say to go in person to visit a physician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
OK, this forum has me really frustrated. I have a friggin degree in Physiology - with a heavy concentration in Excercise Physiology and about half of the "advice" I see on here is scary, and some of it downright dangerous.

OP - get a balanced nutritional plan from your doctor and a well planned exercise routine from a certified trainer at your gym. People you know, who can actually see you, are qualified to give advice and are in a position where they are aware of the responsibility inherent in giving out advice.
Your goal sounds very possible and can be done in a safe and healthy way without fads and nonsense, but let professionals help you.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
OK, this forum has me really frustrated. I have a friggin degree in Physiology - with a heavy concentration in Excercise Physiology and about half of the "advice" I see on here is scary, and some of it downright dangerous.
I was just thinking the same thing. I didn't want to comment to offend anyone but honestly, for someone looking to do this HEALTHILY, it's a little worrisome that people are swooping in offering hints at their "secret" diet but not actually posting it because they don't want to hear people telling them its not healthy.

Then there's suggestions for outright starvation, which is just ridiculous, uneducated, and damaging! Wasn't Exercise and Fitness part of "Health and Wellness"? So much for uh...the health part.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Excellent post Anthony
mjb I actually did what you want to do. I wanted to lose 10 pounds for our Alaska cruise.
I joined a gym and the trainers set me up on a program. I added 3 spinning classes and a body pump class a week.
The best advise they gave me was simple. Eat breakfast!! Something I rarely did. This kick starts your metabolism in the morning.
The only other changes I did in my diet was to cut our some of the junk. When I say some of the junk it is because to strict a diet and I feel deprived and we all know what happens.
Come over and join us on the daily food journal and daily exercise threads. It is a great source of motivation. Not to mention lots of fun

karla

Old 12-07-2007, 06:59 AM

186 posts, read 549,453 times
Quote:

OP - get a balanced nutritional plan from your doctor and a well planned exercise routine from a certified trainer at your gym. People you know, who can actually see you, are qualified to give advice and are in a position where they are aware of the responsibility inherent in giving out advice.
Your goal sounds very possible and can be done in a safe and healthy way without fads and nonsense, but let professionals help you.
Don't don't know about the doctor part. How ever before anyone takes a supplement you really should consult your DR. high blood pressure is not good when you take some stuff.

Certified trainer will give you more when it comes to a plan. I have also heard about virtual trainers on the internet if your not at a gym. Believe me the right trainer although sometimes expensive can shave years of frustration. I hired one and it was night and day. It's a good feeling when guys come up to you and ask what I'm doing to gain weight. Mainly it's protein intake. body weight times 1.2 minimum (not sure about women).

If you don't want to lose that butt do lunges. You can use soup cans or even buy some light weights. Your stomach is in your diet. How many fat people do you see with abs, so crunches will help but your diet is key.

I wouldn't worry about charts every body is different. Experiment, see what works for you.

If your serous take before and after pictures and do a body fat % check every week or 2.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Probably why the doctor ran the test twice, and then as the OP mentioned - he wants her to drop fat and put on muscle (she said that specifically). So it sounds less like the doc wants her to lose weight and more like he wants her to get fitter. BMI when tested properly is far more particular and specific than just a standard figure for "overweight". It specifically takes into consideration the percentage of fat a person is carrying.

She could of course get a second opinion from another doctor. Much better than an internet forum - even doctors online will always say to go in person to visit a physician.
Yep, that is why he ran it twice. Exactly as you said, I'm not overweight, but I have low muscle and very high fat. This excess fat percentage is very unhealthy and can contribute to heart disease among other things. Ever hear of the 40 year person who drops dead from a heart attack but was thin and seemed to be in great shape?? Well, I'm probably an example of that. He wants me to lose the fat and gain more muscle. Actually, if you were to see me in person you would probably say I'm a thin person. I'm not sure how this happened to me. I was a gymnast growing up and was always in great shape. So I guess I just haven't been taking care of myself in the past few years and I was eating alot of junk foods. I guess its sorta like the Jennifer Love Hewitt thing going on, my body is very similar to hers, I might be taller, but she's not fat, but me and her are "out of shape".

SmerkyGrl ~ I would never take an unhealthy approach to doing this. I think a few people on here were just joking around I'm a big advocate of doing everything the natural way as far as Exercise and Fitness is concerned. That's why I consulted a doctor on this and got a full physical.

I also had the body fat thing done at the gym last night and it was 33. Down two points from the doctor, which I had done 10 days ago. So, that was good news. (p.s., they wanted to redo the test too, but I assured them it was accurate, LOL)

Karla, I use to skip breakfast alot, I've been eating it everyday. I didn't mean to skip it, I just get so busy and neglected to eat it.

Mach, I have a big problem doing squats and lunges, my knees are really bad. I injured my knee doing lunges a few years back and couldn't work out for 2 months, which led me to quit working out I've been doing squats on the machine. Any more suggestions for building up the butt????

ncisgreat - you just described me! LMAO - thin but flabby!!

Keep the advice coming, I love hearing from everyone. For now, my plan is this:

3 days a week - abs, legs and arms class
3 days a week - 30 minutes on the treadmill/working out with the free weights and machines
I won't write out my diet, but it's good, three healthy meals a day, and 3 low fat, low carb snacks between meals ~ and lots of water.

BTW, this morning I weighed 146 lbs.

THANKS again, I really appreciate everyone's input!!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:17 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:

So, are you saying the cotton candy diet isn't gonna work? Just kidding!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
So, are you saying the cotton candy diet isn't gonna work? Just kidding!
WHAAATTTTTT????? You mean cotton candy isn't a low fat, low carb snack??
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
machine. Any more suggestions for building up the butt????
I have no butt but did notice with the spinning a slight one is appearing.
I keep trying because when I wear low hip type pants there is nothing to hold them up
I would up the cardio to 45 mins
and remember mjb we would love to see you on the exercise thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM

186 posts, read 549,453 times
From what I've noticed at the gym squats bring the hips out to much.

Have you tried the lunges on the smith machine? Those you really need to do. feet shoulder width apart, keep your toes pointed straight out. I know if I would point my toes out that would hurt my knees.

A stair stepper might help as well. that is also a good cardio machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss