Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
While that may be technically true, it's irrelevant for most people. If someone fixes their diet and only eats healthy foods BUT continues to have long periods of muscle disuse, they likely will just be trading one health problem for another. One with just as severe of consequences such as:

* Weakened muscles
* fascia binding
* Tightened, or shortened muscle fibers.
* Muscle fibers breaking down also called muscle atrophy

Here is an excerpt from a study by the Mayo Clinic... Desk jobs can be killers, literally - The Washington Post

This is regardless of their diets. Bottom line is you need both not only to look and feel good, not only for a longer life, but even just to stave off health problems that you maybe only associate with the obese.
All true, but not the subject of the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Nope. A calorie is a calorie.
Not true.

All Calories Not Created Equal, Study Suggests

Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

MAY not be true.....or, not true according to this article.....or pay attention to the title, Study SUGGESTS......

Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Diet and exercise, in my opinion, are two separate things that exist for two separate purposes.

At times, the two intersect and augment the efforts of the other on the path to health.

But otherwise, diet and exercise are two different things that serve two separate purposes in your life and the wellbeing of your body.

You can't just pick one or the other.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
MAY not be true.....or, not true according to this article.....or pay attention to the title, Study SUGGESTS......
Semantics.

Should You Count Calories

The truth about losing weight can surprise

Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 AM

347 posts, read 425,268 times
Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds
Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Old 05-22-2015, 08:39 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:

Totally agree with this.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
All true, but not the subject of the article.
That's a poorly written article, but even then it doesn't say what you think it does.

Quote:
This suggests that very-low-fat diets may actually slow a person's metabolism down to a level where it is not burning calories as effectively as it could, says researcher David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD, who directs the Optimal Weight for Life program at the Harvard-affiliated Children's Hospital in Boston.
The knowledge that diets have metabolic effects is certainly not groundbreaking, but that has nothing to do with a calorie being a simple unit of measurement.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Hmmm,i ate healthy but am still fat.

When i did both,i lost weight.

WHo keeps repeating that myth that exercise makes you hungrier?

If anything,it decreases appetite.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Hmmm,i ate healthy but am still fat.

When i did both,i lost weight.

WHo keeps repeating that myth that exercise makes you hungrier?

If anything,it decreases appetite.
I agree. It deceases my appetite. For me exercise is essential to losing weight. I just make sure I am burning more than I am consuming. A strenuous hour or so can torch a decent amount of calories. I am certainly not going to eat those calories back.
I have also done the low carb, no bread, paleo-esque type of eating and found that I do much, much better when I eat from all the food groups, concentrating on veggies, lean proteins a grains like quinoa and healthy fats. I look better, I feel better and my body is much more efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss