Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times

Advertisements

Take off that Fitbit. Exercise alone won't make you lose weight

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-20-2015 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Fixed link title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:35 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Not surprising...people get really hung up on the idea that they can't lose weight without exercise, and if they're too overweight to exercise, there's no hope for them, but that's not true. I lost 100lbs without exercise. I think in some ways it's easier because you're not as hungry when you're not exercising.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
I'm watching what I eat AND exercising to give me that extra edge.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:17 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Exercising compliments a healthy diet, and helps reduce fat more efficiently than just diet alone. Its really just common sense that seems to be so lost on most people. It is calories in vs calories out. If you are consuming more calories than you are expending you will not lose weight. People tend to underestimate how many calories they are eating and overestimate how many calories they are burning.
Exercise is the cornerstone to a healthy life and should not be discounted in any way.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exercising compliments a healthy diet, and helps reduce fat more efficiently than just diet alone. Its really just common sense that seems to be so lost on most people. It is calories in vs calories out. If you are consuming more calories than you are expending you will not lose weight. People tend to underestimate how many calories they are eating and overestimate how many calories they are burning.
Exercise is the cornerstone to a healthy life and should not be discounted in any way.
I think that exercise is healthy and I like to work out. However, the key to weight loss is diet. People should exercise because it is good for them, but it is not the key to weight loss.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that exercise is healthy and I like to work out. However, the key to weight loss is diet. People should exercise because it is good for them, but it is not the key to weight loss.
You cannot discount exercise's effects ALONG with proper eating. Weight loss happens faster. Muscle burns more efficiently than fat so weight lifting is an excellent thing to do while trying to lose weight. HIIT training and other strenuous cardio will continue to burn calories after the session is over.
Calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight, but exercise expedites the process.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 05-18-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 05:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
You cannot discount exercise's effects ALONG with proper eating. Weight loss happens faster. Muscle burns more efficiently than fat so weight lifting is an excellent thing to do while trying to lose weight. HIIT training and other strenuous cardio will continue to burn calories after the session is over.
Calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight, but exercise expedites the process.
As I see it - the end result of any weight loss methodology is a calorie deficit. It isn't the method, it's the end result.

And to me, the most sustainable, efficient, workable, liveable, and affordable "key" has two prongs to it: healthy diet, and exercise.

You can diet as much as you like, however you want, but if you sit on a couch all day you'll just end up being an unhealthy thin person instead of an unhealthy fat person.

You can exercise as much as you like, however you want, but if you don't eat healthy you'll be a muscular, toned person ripe for a stroke, instead of a fat, blubbery person ripe for a stroke.

If you eat healthy and exercise, you reduce risks to your health, AND you reduce weight.

Personally I'd rather be the one standing in the funeral home lamenting the guy who only did one and not the other because he insisted the other wasn't necessary - than the one in the coffin.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Agree that exercise aids weight loss but diet is the key and exercise is a bonus. Sometimes people can only make one change at a time and in that case diet is more important than weight loss.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As I see it - the end result of any weight loss methodology is a calorie deficit. It isn't the method, it's the end result.

And to me, the most sustainable, efficient, workable, liveable, and affordable "key" has two prongs to it: healthy diet, and exercise.

You can diet as much as you like, however you want, but if you sit on a couch all day you'll just end up being an unhealthy thin person instead of an unhealthy fat person.

You can exercise as much as you like, however you want, but if you don't eat healthy you'll be a muscular, toned person ripe for a stroke, instead of a fat, blubbery person ripe for a stroke.

If you eat healthy and exercise, you reduce risks to your health, AND you reduce weight.

Personally I'd rather be the one standing in the funeral home lamenting the guy who only did one and not the other because he insisted the other wasn't necessary - than the one in the coffin.
I don't think that it's an either/or situation. Healthy diet and exercise are both necessary for good health.

However, if it is too daunting for someone to change both diet and exercise at the same time changing diet will result in more weight loss than changing exercise.

Diet is really the key to weight loss. Exercise may help it along but it isn't the key. Exercise is healthy on its own and people should exercise because it is good for them. But if their goal is weight loss, diet is much more important.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 AM

308 posts, read 366,871 times
You can certainly lose weight without exercise. However, it is the exercise that will make you look good (fit and toned rather than simply not fat) as well as give you more energy and a sense of well-being. In the long run, the exercise will build muscle which is thought to help the body be more efficient at burning fat/calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss