Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 03:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times

Advertisements

There is a plethora of research showing the link between animal products and cancer risk:

Meat Consumption and Cancer Risk | The Physicians Committee

Consumption of meat, animal products, protein, and fat and risk of breast cancer: a prospective cohort study in New York. - PubMed - NCBI

Meat consumption, animal products, and the risk of bladder cancer: a case-control study in Uruguayan men. - PubMed - NCBI

Diet High in Meat Proteins Raises Cancer Risk for Middle-Aged People - Scientific American

This Scientist Is Convinced Cancer Can Be Prevented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,494 times
This is a long thread so I haven't read all of the posts here and don't plan to, but I ate low carb for over 4 years and will tell you what I experienced. I was eating very low carb (about 30 carbs per day) in order to control my diabetes with diet and no meds. It has worked great for that. Over the first several months, I lost weight without trying (about 30 pounds). After that, my weight remained steady for the next 3 years. I know I stopped losing because I started eating more high-calorie foods which are low carb, like heavy cream and cream cheese. I know because that is the only thing that changed in my diet.

Butter, heavy cream, cream cheese and such are all high in fat. One day I noticed a very large lump on the left side of my neck, between the neck and collarbone. There is also a smaller lump (but still large) on the right side. My doc said they are fatty deposits. I got a second opinion, this doc had ultrasound done. It is confirmed they are fatty deposits. I thought if I lose enough weight my body will use those stores of fat, but my doc says no, they will be there forever.

Two years ago my right breast started hurting. It felt like 2 lumps to me so my doc had me do a mammogram and compression mammograms. What I thought were lumps, were not lumps. Two years later, which would be a couple of months ago, the pain got pretty bad and was now in both breasts, so my doc had me do mammogram, compression mammograms and ultrasound. They said no lumps. So I went to a reliable breast cancer website to read about breast pain. The thing that jumped out at me is where it said if you have breast pain, cut way down on fat. It didn't say cut down, it said cut way down, so I did. Within 2 days, the breast pain was gone.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Diets generally are unsustainable, a healthy active low carb lifestyle will work much better.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
To repeat what others have said. Do what feels best for your body. I happen to feel sluggish and uncomfortable when I eat simple carbs. I also experience GERD symptoms. I doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if something makes you feel bad, or makes your lab results bad, you should stop eating it.

I am very content eating low carb. I have the occasional piece of fruit, or berries, and pasta about once a week. On Thanksgiving I had a piece of pecan pie. The first few bites were good, but then just too sweet. The only part of low carb that is hard for me is breakfast. I force myself to have an omelet every day because I know I need the protein to start the day off right, but really, I miss just having a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast for variety.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
If you had actually read what I posted (link included) instead of simply waiting for a chance to repeat yourself, you would have seen that there is no debate that a link exists. What that does NOT mean is that animal products cause cancer.

Here, allow me to do your work for you.

Quote:
On a population wide basis, red meat is definitely associated with cancer. The association has been shown numerous times, but is fairly weak in relevance. The most well-controlled study noted an 0.2-fold increase.
Quote:
Please note association; this has not yet been shown through interventions nor is the cause known. If we are to answer 'does red meat cause cancer', the answer is 'we do not know'

Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Did you read what I posted? Did I say anywhere that meat causes cancer?

Of course we do not know that meat causes cancer. The probabilities are that it is a major contributing factor, however.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Did you read what I posted? Did I say anywhere that meat causes cancer?
Then in that context, your reply made no sense at all. Why bother posting a bunch of links showing that there is correlation when the correlation was never in dispute?

The way you were wording your posts implied (whether intentional or not) that you were suggesting a causation.

Quote:
The probabilities are that it is a major contributing factor, however.
How does a 0.2% correlation support such a claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss