Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 02:19 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
All those are also sources of complex carbs. Complex carbs come from starches and grains.

Simple carbs come from fruits, milk, vegetables, candy, honey, table sugar, candy.
I stand corrected. I meant to say that people are cutting out all the white flour foods. To them that is low carb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 03:04 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,910,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I stand corrected. I meant to say that people are cutting out all the white flour foods. To them that is low carb.
Yeah, people would probably have better luck with understanding what they need to accomplish if they talked more in terms of cutting out processed food and leaving in whole foods and forgetting about the carbs/proteins/fats distinction since most foods contain all of these.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
I always wonder what people mean when they talk about low carb because these foods get most of their calories from carbohydrates and are all associated with lower incidences of cardiovascular disease, stroke, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and other chronic killers:

- Beans and legumes
- Fruits
- Vegetables
- Whole grains

Cutting healthy carbs out of ones diets seems totally stupid to me. Seems like a great way to commit slow suicide.
For me low carb means:

No beans and legumes
Very limited fruit (berries, tomatoes, cucumbers)
Lots of non starchy veggetables
No grains at all
No added sugar

Last edited by Momma_bear; 10-28-2015 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Now with the real connection between processed meats and cancer some may have to rethink some of their dietary habits.
Low carb doesn't have to include a lot of processed meats.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Low carb doesn't have to include a lot of processed meats.
I understand that. I am sure a lot of folks stick to healthy meats. But I do see quite a bit of posts about bacon, and as much as I love the stuff, it just aint good for you.
I would think that poultry and fish would now be the 'go to' proteins.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I understand that. I am sure a lot of folks stick to healthy meats. But I do see quite a bit of posts about bacon, and as much as I love the stuff, it just aint good for you.
I would think that poultry and fish would now be the 'go to' proteins.
When you eat a diet heavy in animal protein variety is the key. I eat chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb, shellfish, regular fish, and eggs.

I do eat some bacon but my family goes through 12 oz of no added nitrate/nitrite bacon in about 3 weeks. There are 3 of us eating it. I use it mainly as a seasoning (1 piece as flavoring for greens) not as a main feature. I don't think it's news to anyone that cured meats are not the healthiest foods on the planet.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When you eat a diet heavy in animal protein variety is the key. I eat chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb, shellfish, regular fish, and eggs.

I do eat some bacon but my family goes through 12 oz of no added nitrate/nitrite bacon in about 3 weeks. There are 3 of us eating it. I use it mainly as a seasoning (1 piece as flavoring for greens) not as a main feature. I don't think it's news to anyone that cured meats are not the healthiest foods on the planet.
I have a family that loves bacon and we use it mainly as seasoning as well. Of course we have always known bacon and processed meats were unhealthy, but it seems we did not realize up until now just how bad they are. We are going to make a conscience effort to really cut back on red meats and bacon.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
The "new" findings about processed meats causing cancer are NOTHING new. This has been known for decades. I really don't know why everyone is over-reacting to this "new" finding. It has long been known that nitrates cause cancer. It also is nothing new about red meats or any meats for that matter causing colon cancer.

The actual WHO findings are as follows.
Quote:
Its report said 50g of processed meat a day - less than two slices of bacon - increased the chance of developing colorectal cancer by 18%.
Chronic constipation can cause colon cancer, therefore anything you eat can cause cancer.

It's all based on stats, nothing more. Oh, and the part about the red meat, it is stated it MAY be related to colon cancer.

I know of people who do not smoke and are not around smoke or smokers that have developed lung cancer.

I for one don't care about the "findings" and their 18% chance, they can stick it you know where. I will take my 82% chance of NOT getting cancer and continue to enjoy my bacon and my steak, thank you very much.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Some creative recipes that follow a Paleo theme.=
Paleo Recipes - 365+ Free from Paleo Plan

Old 10-30-2015, 06:59 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Yeah, people would probably have better luck with understanding what they need to accomplish if they talked more in terms of cutting out processed food and leaving in whole foods and forgetting about the carbs/proteins/fats distinction since most foods contain all of these.
You'd have better luck understanding that finding the best food plan for weight loss is not a one-size-fits-all plan, nor does everyone on a low-carb plan eat the same foods. Making blanket statements shows one's lack of understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss