Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Since your experience has been so good, why not share it?
I have. We have all had a number of long discussions about low carb eating, and the discussions are all still on this forum and available for you to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM

890 posts, read 883,655 times
Is a Low Carb Diet Bad For Your Thyroid? « AnthonyColpo

Many studies are listed in this article.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I have. We have all had a number of long discussions about low carb eating, and the discussions are all still on this forum and available for you to read.
"I spent the bulk of my life very thin. I didn't start gaining weight until I was married and took on some of my husband's eating habits. I never dieted, but what I did do was eat like a bird. Somehow, American culture has taught us that we'll wither and blow away if we don't eat gobs of food. It's just not true."

Well, a simple summary of daily calories, body temperature, how long the person has been low carbing, how much weight they lost, how much they regained makes for a useful comparison.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
I have an apple a day...I'd call that low carb.
I am down 21.2 pounds...
5 in the last 9 days...well, I fasted one day, also.

I can bite a piece of bread at a restaurant with no problem....prob could
have a thin slice of pizza too at this point...but I sure
don't have any urge to.

Losing is pretty easy once your stomach shrinks and gets full fast.

Oh, I can have a Sesame Round with a slice of turkey a couple xs a week...that's a carb.
I have no desire for more than that.....Some blueberries....
So I qualify as a success story regarding carbs and my appetite becoming zero.

After I lost my goal of 16 pounds , they keep coming off...no carbs is wonderful.

Maybe this is easy for me because my ancestors ate fruit, vegetables, nuts and fish mostly....some red meats.
Grains, breads, pasta, refined sugar? Not so much.
I would guess neither did anyone's ancestors.

I feel great! Look even better! You go girl!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 AM

Thank-you for sharing!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
2 Cravings? Pizza and Chocolate- hints I used for low carb when I was on the Atkins.

1, I took the toppings/cheese off the pizza, scraped off as much sauce as I could and ate it. Hardly noticed a difference without the crust. Throw the crust in the trash immediately, so you aren't tempted to munch on it.

2, got a sugar/chocolate craving? With your element on low, melt a couple of squares of unsweetened chocolate along with a dab of butter in a small pan, add 1/4 cup of sugar replacement powder (sugar twin or Equal powder), stir until melted and combined, pour it onto a sheet of waxed paper on a plate, add some whole unblanched almonds or other nuts except peanuts-(very high in calories). Cool it off in the fridge, separate the chocolate from the waxed paper, break into small treat sized bites. Store it in the fridge in an air-tight container.
A yummy treat to satisfy a craving.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
"I spent the bulk of my life very thin. I didn't start gaining weight until I was married and took on some of my husband's eating habits. I never dieted, but what I did do was eat like a bird. Somehow, American culture has taught us that we'll wither and blow away if we don't eat gobs of food. It's just not true."

Well, a simple summary of daily calories, body temperature, how long the person has been low carbing, how much weight they lost, how much they regained makes for a useful comparison.
I don't count calories, so I don't know. I don't take my temperature (why would anyone do that?), I've been eating low carb for several years now. I don't freak over an occasional slice of bread, but for the most part, I avoid wheat, grains, refined sugar and fruit. I've done this because those foods affect my blood sugar, leave me feeling tired, promote hunger and cause me to over-eat. Pretty much the exact opposite of the claims you made. And while I won't speak for everyone, I know my experience is not unique.

It's one thing to share your personal views and experiences on a subject. It's another to tell everyone what kind of outcome they are going to have on any diet. There are simply too many variables to make those kind of absolute claims.

(And the quote you selected had absolutely nothing to do with eating low carb )

Old 10-05-2015, 12:44 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
2 Cravings? Pizza and Chocolate- hints I used for low carb when I was on the Atkins.

1, I took the toppings/cheese off the pizza, scraped off as much sauce as I could and ate it. Hardly noticed a difference without the crust. Throw the crust in the trash immediately, so you aren't tempted to munch on it.

2, got a sugar/chocolate craving? With your element on low, melt a couple of squares of unsweetened chocolate along with a dab of butter in a small pan, add 1/4 cup of sugar replacement powder (sugar twin or Equal powder), stir until melted and combined, pour it onto a sheet of waxed paper on a plate, add some whole unblanched almonds or other nuts except peanuts-(very high in calories). Cool it off in the fridge, separate the chocolate from the waxed paper, break into small treat sized bites. Store it in the fridge in an air-tight container.
A yummy treat to satisfy a craving.
I'm a low carb fan, too. About once a month I eat pizza, and I thoroughly enjoy it, but otherwise, I think pizza toppings on a portabella mushroom is a really good substitute.

I buy a few Atkins snack bars, which are very good if I feel like eating chocolate or something for dessert.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Tell me which piece of information you want a source for. I provided much data, you provided zero.
You provided NO data. You provided your opinion. Data is not the plural of anecdote.

I didn't write the post so I have no reason to provide anything.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Anecdotal claims? There are many thousands of low carbers who have posted much data on line, over many years. By the way, I was asked for "sources" not data.
My experience is one reference point. There are many other people with years of posting data, and I offered to provide their names privately. I never said it was only my experience. I take it you did not read any of the references I listed.
By the way, how is your body temperature? How many calories do you eat a day? Have you sustained weight loss in the long run? Since your experience has been so good, why not share it?
Thousands of anecdotes does not constitute data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss