Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
There are a few high protein/low carb cereals out there that I've been enjoying. Like you, eggs for breakfast got old after a while. Kay's Naturals, Wonderslim and Medifast specifically have low carb/high protein cereals that are all pretty good. No granola, but puffed cereals. It's nice to be able to eat cereal again. Regular cereal for breakfast used to put me in a blood sugar tail spin. Couldn't eat it--even the Kashi high protein--without getting the "sweats and shakes" two hours later. The brands I mentioned don't affect me that way at all.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for them. High carbs in the morning puts me into a coma, but I'm sick of eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:05 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for them. High carbs in the morning puts me into a coma, but I'm sick of eggs.
Me too. And I don't know why, but Special K is the worst. My blood sugar crashes after eating that stuff. Like, in a legit cold sweat, confused, spacey need to sit down kinda way. It's worse than if I'd had a donut! I would be curious to know what's in it that causes me to react so badly to it, but I don't care enough to go through all the testing. I just stopped eating it and my problem is solved.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is there some reason why you can't eat salad for breakfast? Or a couple tablespoons of peanutbutter in celery stalks? Or maybe grilled chicken?

I used to think "breakfast" required breakfast food but I broke through that myth when I was in college, and I slept through breakfast straight into an early suppertime on weekends. The meal that broke my fast was sometimes a hotdog with chili and cheese, and sometimes I'd have bacon and eggs for whatever meal you want to call what you eat at 2 in the morning.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:28 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I reduced carbs to lose weight and combined with exercise, was successful. By successful, I mean I have maintained the weight for more than two years. I wouldn't mind losing another 20 pounds but I'm not too concerned about it. I feel more fit, have more energy, than I did before I started.

My advice: Don't go "low carb." It's a catch-phrase, a marketing term, that means whatever the Guru-Of-The-Month tells you it means.

Instead, take stock of what you're currently eating. Figure out - is it mostly carbs, with proteins next, and fats after that, and "who the heck knows what" after that?

Of the carbs you're consuming, what are they? Are they mostly sugary processed foods? Starches? Fruits and veggies? If they're mostly starches, then cut that by 50%. You do NOT have to eliminate anything unless you have a medical condition. Needing to lose 20 pounds isn't a medical condition

But if you're having a lot of starchy foods - bread, pasta, pizza, etc - just eat half of however much you're eating of those foods now. If it's mostly sugars, try to eliminate 3/4 of them, while still enjoying 1/4 of them.

If it's mostly fruits and vegetables, try to find different fruits and veggies that have fewer sugars and starches, and switch 50% of them to the new ones.

Then - add more protein. If you're not a vegetarian, then enjoy some salmon, chicken, even steak or pork loin. A "single serving" of boneless meat is 4-5 ounces, and 4 ounces is 1/4 pound. Uncooked. So keep that in mind when you start portioning yourself. Four ounces of fillet mignon is a rather small piece of meat. It'll fit in the palm of your hand. But you eat it slowly. Take tiny forkfuls. Put the fork back down on the plate while you chew it (that's a BIG help in becoming full without stuffing yourself by the way - don't hold onto the fork while you're chewing - don't prepare your next bite til you swallow the current bite).

Mostly - all the starches should be halved, the sugars should be quartered, the proteins and low-sugar fruits and high-fiber vegetables should be upped.

Don't be afraid of fats - a little butter, olive oil in your salad, a splash of oil to sautee some mushrooms, etc.

And most importantly - if you feel like you're craving something that you haven't touched in weeks - then find a way of giving into the craving without being a glutton about it. So - if you've "deprived" yourself of potato chips because you can't eat just one - then tomorrow, go to the nearest convenient store. By a single-serve pack of chips. Go home. Open the bag. Pour it into a bowl. Set the bowl down at the dinner table. Tuck a napkin into your collar. Light some candles. Make a big deal out of it, and enjoy the crap out of that bag of chips. I promise it won't make you gain another 20 pounds, and you'll feel silly for having craved it in the first place

Really good advice, and breakdown of things. Plus, Anonchick, this was really nice of you to detail so much for the OP.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I got rid of carbs (the flour kind, not an apple) AND dairy!
I lost weight and am keeping it off...don't desire pizza or sweets or melted cheese or
need milk in my coffee anymore....I FEEL GREAT!

That is all I have to say... and never be hungry...eat a tablespoon of anything and walk away....
it completely takes away any hunger...later do another tablespoon size of anything allowed.
Gosh, it helps.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:24 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Is there some reason why you can't eat salad for breakfast? Or a couple tablespoons of peanutbutter in celery stalks? Or maybe grilled chicken?

I used to think "breakfast" required breakfast food but I broke through that myth when I was in college, and I slept through breakfast straight into an early suppertime on weekends. The meal that broke my fast was sometimes a hotdog with chili and cheese, and sometimes I'd have bacon and eggs for whatever meal you want to call what you eat at 2 in the morning.
Yes, of course. I sometimes do this, especially if it is closer to lunch time. Really, the low carb scenario becomes just throwing down some protein to make my stomach shut up. Old habits die hard, though.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:15 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,532,191 times
Thanks everyone for helpful advice!

Im happy cause i lost 3 POUNDS on my first week!!!
Im on day 10 of the diet, the majority of days i ve been feeling great with great energy, but on thursday and friday iwas kind of low in energy and tired. I guess its the body adjusting to the no sugar thing.

In any case, i ve been eating whatever amount of food i wanted and not restricting myself in that, though tbh i havent been really hungry on afternoons. Like i would eat lunch (say beef and spinach) and wouldnt get hungry again until dinner time. Im also walking 4 miles per day. So thats working

I dont see this as a restrictive diet, but as a healthy eating plan that gets rid of junk. What can be bad about a plan in where you arent eating sugar or packaged full of additives stuff?

Im eating natural, mostly meat and vegetables, and so far so good!

Last edited by SophieLL; 08-22-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Thanks everyone for helpful advice!

Im happy cause i lost 3 POUNDS on my first week!!!
Im on day 10 of the diet, the majority of days i ve been feeling great with great energy, but on thursday and friday iwas kind of low in energy and tired. I guess its the body adjusting to the no sugar thing.

In any case, i ve been eating whatever amount of food i wanted and not restricting myself in that, though tbh i havent been really hungry on afternoons. Like i would eat lunch (say beef and spinach) and wouldnt get hungry again until dinner time. Im also walking 4 miles per day. So thats working

I dont see this as a restrictive diet, but as a healthy eating plan that gets rid of junk. What can be bad about a plan in where you arent eating sugar or packaged full of additives stuff?

Im eating natural, mostly meat and vegetables, and so far so good!
That is great news!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 PM

586 posts, read 831,925 times
I am 2 weeks on a low carb diet and have lost 9 lbs. I am much more aware of what I eat now. I keep a log. I count my carbs, measure my food, and I stay away from most things that contain sugars. I drink 99% water now, and when I want to drink something sweet, I drink crystal light. If I get hungry, I eat almonds and other nuts. I also eat whole grains now too.

I dont restrict myself, I eat a little bit of everything because I know that if I restrict myself, it will end up backfiring.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am 2 weeks on a low carb diet and have lost 9 lbs. I am much more aware of what I eat now. I keep a log. I count my carbs, measure my food, and I stay away from most things that contain sugars. I drink 99% water now, and when I want to drink something sweet, I drink crystal light. If I get hungry, I eat almonds and other nuts. I also eat whole grains now too.

I don't restrict myself, I eat a little bit of everything because I know that if I restrict myself, it will end up backfiring.
This is very similar to what I have done recently & I feel that last sentence is particularly important since if you resolve to eliminate a whole food group it's easy to backslide into cheating.

This month I have lost 14# by doing a lot of walking, a few miles most days, & concentrating on healthy whole foods & minimizing, not eliminating, carbs, meat & dairy 6 days a week, on the 7th day I eat what I want, 4 weeks in I want less of the bad stuff but having some steak or cheese or pizza one day keeps me on the straight & narrow the other 6 days. I have lost 44# total as of today & feel great & know that when I go to that barbecue next weekend that will be "the 7th day" & I will partake, but not overdo it & next day hit the routine again.

What I have eliminated totally is processed foods; empty carbs are gone those 6 days: white breads, cookies, white rice. I use whole grains in moderation the rest of the week: brown rice, faro, whole wheat pasta, sprouted whole wheat bread. Lots of salads with fresh farmers market green & veggies & I use beans extensively in salads, entrees & "burgers".

Anyway, just a suggestion what has worked for me & I feel better week by week. I know personally if I told myself I would eliminate an entire food group, or try to become a vegan or go no carb I wouldn't be able to sustain it for too long, let alone for the rest of my life which is the goal.

Best of luck & see it as a lifestyle improvement that you can adapt & fine tune & I think you can succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss