Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:56 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times

Advertisements

OMG! Today, after one month and a half of lowcarbing, i tried my skinny jeans, and they FIT!!! THEY FIT!!!!

Im overwhelmed with joy!!!

On august 12, before starting this diet, i tried those jeans and they didnt even go all the way up, they didnt even fit in my upper thigs. I figured i had to lose AT LEAST 10 pounds to fit in those

And today, one month and a half later, i fit...I FIT

IM SO HAPPY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 11:34 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
LOL Congratulations! Keep up the great work!

Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
OMG! Today, after one month and a half of lowcarbing, i tried my skinny jeans, and they FIT!!! THEY FIT!!!!

Im overwhelmed with joy!!!

On august 12, before starting this diet, i tried those jeans and they didnt even go all the way up, they didnt even fit in my upper thigs. I figured i had to lose AT LEAST 10 pounds to fit in those

And today, one month and a half later, i fit...I FIT

IM SO HAPPY

Good work!

Old 09-26-2015, 05:20 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I, too, have noticed a change in how my clothes fit. I am still happily on the low carb diet, and although I am not losing rapidly, I am losing inches. I am not gaining and have normalized some lab numbers. There are some things I could do to lose faster, but as it is, I am feeling good and happy with the results.
Hubby and I have a ritual of cocktail hour, where my husband and I have a cocktail at 5:00 and talk about the day. I would probably lose faster without this, but it is a question of balance and quality of life.
If you don't know, alcohol has no carbs, but the body will burn it first, before it burns fats, so you will lose more if you take a pass on the booze. I don't miss sugar at all, nor do I feel deprived without potatoes or rice. I have started to eat a few fruits, once in awhile, since I have realized that my low carb journey will be a long term one, and I think some berries are a part of a healthy diet.
The only thing I struggle with is breakfast. I would kill for a bowl of granola or oatmeal. Once in awhile, I'll make a conscious decision to have some, and I don't beat myself up over it.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:55 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What is unsustainable about her plan? There is no deprivation in eating meats, veggies and fats to satiety. Calories are important but with her plan she will naturally eat less and the calories will limit themselves. I have been eating this way for almost a year. My health has improved in ways that go beyond weight.

I agree that strength training is important but it can wait a few weeks until she is adapted to a low carb way of eating.
What is unsustainable?

No fruit? No legumes?

Since when are beans and fruits bad for you?

How do you all eat on the go? I work and go to school at night. I have access to a fridge at work, but not at school. I can throw and apple and a cheese stick in my bag to tide me over until I get home.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:01 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What is unsustainable?

No fruit? No legumes?

How do you all eat on the go? I work and go to school at night. I have access to a fridge at work, but not at school. I can throw and apple and a cheese stick in my bag to tide me over until I get home.
So...no one can sustain a diet that doesn't include fruit and beans? I don't get it. Not everyone is crazy about fruit and beans.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:01 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
So...no one can sustain a diet that doesn't include fruit and beans? I don't get it. Not everyone is crazy about fruit and beans.
I couldn't. I love fruit too much . With all the vitamins, minerals and fiber that fruit provides, I can't understand how people could classify it as a bad food.

Again, what are some portable low carb foods that fits a restrictive diet such as this?

Old 09-27-2015, 06:52 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
I couldn't. I love fruit too much . With all the vitamins, minerals and fiber that fruit provides, I can't understand how people could classify it as a bad food.

Again, what are some portable low carb foods that fits a restrictive diet such as this?
Of course, fruit is healthful, but it contains too much sugar for the induction phase of the low carb diet. Lemon or lime is OK. You can choose to eat it, or not. You have the power to speed up or slow down your weight loss. After this first phase, which is ok to be on for up to 6 months, you decide, fruits in moderation are fine. Beans and root vegetables are also fine after induction. My induction target is 18-22 grams a day. Foods are labeled with carbs per serving, so you quickly get a feel for what to stay away from.

I have been on it for over 3 months and I find it very easy. I have started to eat some berries, all vegetables, and beans. I have, for example, cut the beans in my chili recipe by 1/2, so now it does not have many carbs. I still would never eat sugary baked beans, but a few in a soup or as a plain vegetable is fine.

I don't miss sugar, but I do miss pizza and pasta. Once a month or so, I indulge in them and then get back on the wagon. They make low carb tortillas, which are fairly low, so you can make wraps or Mexican recipes.

I don't find the diet AT ALL restrictive. I do not need portable food, but if I did, I would eat the same as I eat now. Everything but flour and sugar. Atkins makes Meal and Snack bars that you can have on hand for something to throw down in a pinch. Instead of a cheeseburger, I get a cheeseburger without a bun (5 Guys offers a bunless burger with lettuce wrap). Instead of any kind of sandwich, I roll up a few slices of meat and cheese, for a sandwich like tuna or chicken salad I use a lettuce wrap. For a snack I have those cheese sticks on hand, or I might have a tomato. When you eat a lot of protein, you get full on a small amount of food and don't really get very hungry. Salad or any raw vegetables are fine. It takes awhile to get used to a salad having countable carbs, but a bunch of blue cheese salad dressing doesn't.

The principal is very simple. If your body has carbs it wants to burn them first. If your body doesn't have carbs to burn, it will burn fat.

I don't cook much differently. I typically cook a meat or fish, a vegetable and a starch. My husband eats all of it, and I skip the starch. No big deal.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-27-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 09:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Thanks for the nice words, people

Fwiw: i DO eat fruit, since the diet i did this month abd a half wasnt atkins, but just a low carb diet, wich means me and my bf eat around 50-80 carbs per day (give or take), and that includes plenty of vegetables, and one fruit per day (usually a pear, cause they are good this time of the year, but soon it will be melon, strawberries, peach). So, no, we dont deprive ourselves from fruit at all.

However, we plan to start the real atkins and induction soon (actually today) cause really hot days are around de corner,and in a month or so, everyday temperatures will be around 90f and i want to be ready to use little dresses, skirts and very light summer clothing. So no fruit for us in the 2 weeks of induction

Old 09-28-2015, 03:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
What is unsustainable?

No fruit? No legumes?

Beans and fruit are not necessarily bad for people but they contain a fairly high amount of carbohydrates. If someone is trying to reduce their carb intake these foods would need to be limited. Some people who eat a low carb diet can manage to eat fruit and still lose weight. I can't.

When I need to eat on the go I usually eat some macadamia nuts, a small piece of meat (I usually have leftovers), cheese cubes, cut veggies, or boiled eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss