Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think pizza toppings on a portabella mushroom is a
really good substitute.
I buy a few Atkins snack bars, which are very good ...
I agree totally.
I don't do mushrooms so much anymore myself...not so great for me since
they are a fungus...but give me a pan, melt me some cheese and any other pizza toppings
and yum....not every week, tho. Haha!

My old time secret bad food was an easy fondue....bowl with cheese, wine or sherry, with fresh garlic...
nuked...now I wouldn't do the bread, tho.
Beware if you have gallbladder issues, ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:41 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Well, a simple summary of daily calories, body temperature, how long the person has been low carbing, how much weight they lost, how much they regained makes for a useful comparison.
Just for snits 'n' giggles:

• 1,600 calories, more or less; 50-75g of carbs/day. I usually eat one serving of fruit a day, depending on what's in season; 3-6 servings of vegetables, depending on my mood; and (mostly) lean protein and vegetable fats. I don't sweat it if I have a piece of pie or a handful of Doritos every once in awhile, but it's rare.
  • I don't take my temperature every day (who does that?); as I recall from recent visits to the doc, it's been about 97 or 98.
  • I've been low-carbing for about 15 years, give or take a few minor tumbles off the wagon, and one major one.
  • I initially lost 140 pounds over 3 1/2 years.
  • Several years ago, during a particularly stressful point in my life, I ditched the low carb and ate whatever the hell I wanted for comfort. In two years, I had regained 60 pounds.
  • Earlier this year, I began eating low-carb again, and so far have lost 35 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Data is not the plural of anecdote.
LMAO!

Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 AM

890 posts, read 883,513 times
Default i listed studies also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Thousands of anecdotes does not constitute data.
Which you chose to ignore. Also what you call anecdotes are the best data available anywhere. Did you look at the studies Anthony Colpo listed?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I don't count calories, so I don't know. I don't take my temperature (why would anyone do that?), I've been eating low carb for several years now. I don't freak over an occasional slice of bread, but for the most part, I avoid wheat, grains, refined sugar and fruit. I've done this because those foods affect my blood sugar, leave me feeling tired, promote hunger and cause me to over-eat. Pretty much the exact opposite of the claims you made. And while I won't speak for everyone, I know my experience is not unique.

It's one thing to share your personal views and experiences on a subject. It's another to tell everyone what kind of outcome they are going to have on any diet. There are simply too many variables to make those kind of absolute claims.

(And the quote you selected had absolutely nothing to do with eating low carb )
The quote was part of a low carb discussion.
Temperature first thing in the morning, and later in the day, is a good measure of hypothyroidism. From Broda Barnes. No one said you have to do it everyday.
You can do a spot check on calories, again, not every day.
I agree with avoiding wheat and grains. I would never tell you to eat those.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Which you chose to ignore. Also what you call anecdotes are the best data available anywhere. Did you look at the studies Anthony Colpo listed?
No one is ignoring your studies. What's being ignored is the accounts from people here who have a nearly polar opposite experience eating low carb from what you're describing. I'm not sure what you're trying to convince us. You can cite all the studies and anecdotal accounts you want, it's not going to change my experience. And I'm most certainly not going to ditch something that's been working for me for years, just because you say it didn't work for someone else.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 AM

You said I only provided anecdotal whatever. No, I also provided scientific studies, and there are more that could be listed. My point was, eating 150 grams of fruit or other carbs a day would be beneficial. I posted in general, not to persuade you personally. Dr Atkins never intended for anyone to stay on very low carb for a long period of time, as I mentioned. I find many people on the low carb forums taking low carb to an extreme that was not recommended by any doctor.
People feel free to advocate extreme carb restriction, others like me feel free to state the opposite. I feel, based on people who have been successful long term on lowcarber.org as well as scientific studies, that relatively low carb is better than extremely low carb. Success means having energy, having a healthy metabolism, having a body temp over 98 degrees. I lost weight on very low carb, but had no energy. If you are happy, wonderful. If there is any bias in the low carb forums, it is in favor of low carb, so it is not logical to dismiss actual results there out of hand.
Take anyone low carbing (very low carb, as opposed to reasonable low carb) over time, and their metabolism is low, even when they are trying to compensate by taking thyroid meds. There are negative health consequences from having a low metabolism.
time to go to work, have a nice day!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 AM

712 posts, read 555,573 times
For 11.5 years I have been eating a low-carb way of life. I do not cheat and have been able to live this way comfortably and I eat very well. I am however very creative in the kitchen and love to cook and bake. I have had all the cholesterol tests and I am very healthy. My family are prone to being overweight and diabetes is an issue. Eating this way my weight is under control as well as my blood sugar is perfect. I will never eat another way.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 AM

712 posts, read 555,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are among my forbidden foods too, not because of weight loss, but because of health. It is perfectly substainable and once you get used to it, really it is no big deal. I have been doing this for well over 10 years. I do highly suggest looking at paleo, primal, low-carb, and specific carbohydrate diet websites for recipe ideas. Not all recipes are interchangeable but they can provide good starting places to making eating and cooking with restrictions more pleasurable.

The most difficult part is trying to eat out with food restrictions.
I have no problems eating out and I too have been eating low carb for a long time. Over 11 years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What is unsustainable?

No fruit? No legumes?

Since when are beans and fruits bad for you?

How do you all eat on the go? I work and go to school at night. I have access to a fridge at work, but not at school. I can throw and apple and a cheese stick in my bag to tide me over until I get home.
The only fruit I eat is berries or cantaloupe. Peanuts are in the legume family and I will eat them occasionally. No other legumes do I eat though. Being in maintenance I could but don't. The reason low carb works is based on the glycemic index as to what foods raise the blood sugar. Fruit like apples or grapes will spike it faster than a candy bar. People don't like to hear it but our bodies just can't tell the difference in sugar be it from fruit, honey or sugar cane. Sugar is sugar is sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
So...no one can sustain a diet that doesn't include fruit and beans? I don't get it. Not everyone is crazy about fruit and beans.
I am proof that one can sustain

Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I have no problems eating out and I too have been eating low carb for a long time. Over 11 years now

The only fruit I eat is berries or cantaloupe. Peanuts are in the legume family and I will eat them occasionally. No other legumes do I eat though. Being in maintenance I could but don't. The reason low carb works is based on the glycemic index as to what foods raise the blood sugar. Fruit like apples or grapes will spike it faster than a candy bar. People don't like to hear it but our bodies just can't tell the difference in sugar be it from fruit, honey or sugar cane. Sugar is sugar is sugar.

I am proof that one can sustain
You are the exception, not the rule. But its great you found a way to eat that works for you long term. That is all any of us really want.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You are the exception, not the rule. But its great you found a way to eat that works for you long term. That is all any of us really want.
Anyone can sustain long term once you go through the "withdrawal" phase. After a while you will not even crave carbs at all and it will become almost automatic to exclude high carb foods. It does take a little while. For me it took at least 2 to 3 weeks. I've been on LC for almost a year now. It did help that I did not like a lot of things very much anyway like bread, pasta or sweets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss