Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I couldn't. I love fruit too much . With all the vitamins, minerals and fiber that fruit provides, I can't understand how people could classify it as a bad food.

Again, what are some portable low carb foods that fits a restrictive diet such as this?
I can't speak for every low carb diet, as most people seem to adopt their own definition. But in terms of grabbing something quick on the go, I am a fan of protein bars, nuts, turkey jerkey, cut carrots or celery, things like that. I know people who love string cheese, but I'm not big on cheese (unless it's melted over bacon haha).

Don't get me wrong, I love fruit. But if I had a piece of fruit on an empty stomach, I'd end up in a sugar crash in about an hour.

My husband and son hate fruit unless it's absolutely, perfectly, peak and ideal. They eat fruit maybe a couple times a month, and that's only because I force it down them in my quest to make them eat a more balanced diet. If my son could, he'd eat nothing but hamburgers and fries every day. The point being, not everyone would feel deprived if they didn't eat fruit.

On the topic of deprivation, it truly is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 PM

890 posts, read 883,655 times
I went from 277 to 179 lb on a very low carb diet. Ultimately, the low carb diet is not sustainable. Most have problems somewhere between 6 months and a year into the diet. It will slow your metabolism. You will be tired. Your body temperature will range between 96 to 97 degrees. You will end up eating very few calories to maintain your new lower weight. Going semi-low carb, say 150 grams minimum a day, will be healthier. Enjoy fruit with every meal.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
I went from 277 to 179 lb on a very low carb diet. Ultimately, the low carb diet is not sustainable. Most have problems somewhere between 6 months and a year into the diet. It will slow your metabolism. You will be tired. Your body temperature will range between 96 to 97 degrees. You will end up eating very few calories to maintain your new lower weight. Going semi-low carb, say 150 grams minimum a day, will be healthier. Enjoy fruit with every meal.
What source do you have to support your claims?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What source do you have to support your claims?
That is what happened to me. You can also find many references by individuals participating in the low carb forums. Some other good sources:
raypeatforum.com
anthonycolpo.com
casrbsanityblogspot.com
paul jaminet at perfecthealthdiet.com
Is a Low-Carb Diet Ruining Your Health?

Quote from the last:
"I’ve had many clients come to me on a low carb diet who, after switching to a more moderate carb approach, found that their energy and endurance significantly increased, and they were able to make quicker strength gains than before. Many also were able to shed some of the stubborn body fat that they’d been retaining despite eating a low carb diet and training hard, which was a result they didn’t expect!

For my athletic clients, I usually recommend a minimum of 20% of calories from carbohydrate, and depending on the person’s health goals, training schedule, and current issues, I may actually recommend more like 40-50% of calories from carbs."

Realize Dr Atkins did not believe people should stay very low carb for a long time. He promoted the use of a "carb ladder" where people increased their carbs as much as they could while maintaining weight.

Read the websites above, read the readers comments, you will find any people with reduced metabolism, who followed the very low carb diet. On low carb forums, you will find long term very low carb participants, often having to stay at no more than 1000 calories a day to avoid gaining weight. I can point you to some in a private message if you want to read their stories. Any there are many there who are very obese, no matter how low their calories go. There are some long term success stories, but there are more who lose some weight, stall, and never get near their goal.

My personal weight loss and following low carb is documented in lowcarber forum, username Matt51. My weights were also recorded at my doctors office, and there are before and after pictures.

Last edited by Graywhiskers; 10-05-2015 at 01:57 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 05:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
That is what happened to me. You can also find many references by individuals participating in the low carb forums. Some other good sources:
raypeatforum.com
anthonycolpo.com
casrbsanityblogspot.com
paul jaminet at perfecthealthdiet.com
Is a Low-Carb Diet Ruining Your Health?

Quote from the last:
"I’ve had many clients come to me on a low carb diet who, after switching to a more moderate carb approach, found that their energy and endurance significantly increased, and they were able to make quicker strength gains than before. Many also were able to shed some of the stubborn body fat that they’d been retaining despite eating a low carb diet and training hard, which was a result they didn’t expect!

For my athletic clients, I usually recommend a minimum of 20% of calories from carbohydrate, and depending on the person’s health goals, training schedule, and current issues, I may actually recommend more like 40-50% of calories from carbs."

Realize Dr Atkins did not believe people should stay very low carb for a long time. He promoted the use of a "carb ladder" where people increased their carbs as much as they could while maintaining weight.

Read the websites above, read the readers comments, you will find any people with reduced metabolism, who followed the very low carb diet. On low carb forums, you will find long term very low carb participants, often having to stay at no more than 1000 calories a day to avoid gaining weight. I can point you to some in a private message if you want to read their stories. Any there are many there who are very obese, no matter how low their calories go. There are some long term success stories, but there are more who lose some weight, stall, and never get near their goal.

My personal weight loss and following low carb is documented in lowcarber forum, username Matt51. My weights were also recorded at my doctors office, and there are before and after pictures.
The above is a long winded post saying that you have no real sources.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:12 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
I think that the issue here is that you applied your experiences to everyone. While I personally could not abide a low carb diet for life, the case is not the same for everyone.

Had you said, "I", or "my" instead of "most" and "you", there would be no problem.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The above is a long winded post saying that you have no real sources.
Tell me which piece of information you want a source for. I provided much data, you provided zero.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I think that the issue here is that you applied your experiences to everyone. While I personally could not abide a low carb diet for life, the case is not the same for everyone.

Had you said, "I", or "my" instead of "most" and "you", there would be no problem.
No, it is the language I chose to communicate with. Adding many qualifiers just makes one sound like a politician. Are some people happy with a very low carb diet? Yes but the number declines over time. However, how many of them have a normal body temperature? I haven't come across one yet after many years participation at lowcarber.org. Which is a classic measure of hypothyroidism.

I can list individuals as case studies.
One man at low carber was happy eating an all meat diet for years. Then, his weight took a step change upward. For no reason. This by definition is a reduced metabolism. He is now rethinking his diet.

Another woman has been successful in weight loss. However, she eats very low calorie, and drinks massive amounts of diet cola.

Show me the low carb diet gurus who took off a lot of weight; kept it off; and have good metabolism - body temp, TSH, eat at least 2000 calories a day, and so forth.

Low carb will cause a substantial water (glycogen) loss, so the initial weight loss is quite good.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Tell me which piece of information you want a source for. I provided much data, you provided zero.
Anecdotal claims are not "data".

For the record, my experience with low carb eating is exactly opposite of your claims. Still, I would never post my experience then stretch it to claim that's the case for everyone, or even "most people".

Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Anecdotal claims are not "data".

For the record, my experience with low carb eating is exactly opposite of your claims. Still, I would never post my experience then stretch it to claim that's the case for everyone, or even "most people".
Anecdotal claims? There are many thousands of low carbers who have posted much data on line, over many years. By the way, I was asked for "sources" not data.
My experience is one reference point. There are many other people with years of posting data, and I offered to provide their names privately. I never said it was only my experience. I take it you did not read any of the references I listed.
By the way, how is your body temperature? How many calories do you eat a day? Have you sustained weight loss in the long run? Since your experience has been so good, why not share it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss