Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Thanks everyone for your telling your experiences! Its been very helpful and im reading and taking everything into consideration.

To add more info about my diet: im doing excersise. Im walking to the university or work (depends on the day) every day of the week, a total of 5 miles. At first, everything hurt, but i think after almost three weeks my body got used to it, and now its getting easier. My idea was to add two days (thursday and friday, in where im not as busy as the other days) of the week to also jog, but now that i started the dietm i want my body to get used to it first.
That's a good start. Are you planning on joining a gym and/or doing any weight training?

Quote:
My approach to this diet is more like Momma_bear says (cause i think thats the best approach for me) in the sense that i have FORBIDEN FOODS. i couldnt do what anonchicks suggest, i just dont think it will work for me.

The forbiden foods are: pasta, rice, ALL sweets and sugar, ALL flour, bread, cereals, legumes.

I will NOT eat any of this at least for the first weeks. Not even a small candy or chewing gum.

I will, however, eat carbs in the form of vegetables and fruits, according to their values. I made the list in the freezer of the value in everything and i know that banana or grapes are high in carbs (so ill barely eat them) and berries are low, etc.

My first goal was to eat less than 100g of carbs a day. It was mostly to convince my SO that this is doable, but in reality, the last few days i ve been consuming around 70g.

What do u think about this plan?
I agree with the other posters that you shouldn't view those foods as "forbidden" but rather as simply not fitting your current diet. It is a small but important distinction.

70 grams of carbs per day might be a little much. Generally any diet with less than 100g of daily carbs is considered low carb, but most want you to restrict carbs to less than 30g/day to speed up the adaptions to ketosis, with gradual increases being allowed there after.

Also, make sure you're consuming at least 0.8grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 05:16 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your telling your experiences! Its been very helpful and im reading and taking everything into consideration.

To add more info about my diet: im doing excersise. Im walking to the university or work (depends on the day) every day of the week, a total of 5 miles. At first, everything hurt, but i think after almost three weeks my body got used to it, and now its getting easier. My idea was to add two days (thursday and friday, in where im not as busy as the other days) of the week to also jog, but now that i started the dietm i want my body to get used to it first.

My approach to this diet is more like Momma_bear says (cause i think thats the best approach for me) in the sense that i have FORBIDEN FOODS. i couldnt do what anonchicks suggest, i just dont think it will work for me.

The forbiden foods are: pasta, rice, ALL sweets and sugar, ALL flour, bread, cereals, legumes.

I will NOT eat any of this at least for the first weeks. Not even a small candy or chewing gum.

I will, however, eat carbs in the form of vegetables and fruits, according to their values. I made the list in the freezer of the value in everything and i know that banana or grapes are high in carbs (so ill barely eat them) and berries are low, etc.

My first goal was to eat less than 100g of carbs a day. It was mostly to convince my SO that this is doable, but in reality, the last few days i ve been consuming around 70g.

In a low carb diet you need to get fiber from vegetables and protein from meats/fish etc. The few carbs that you do eat has to be fiber from vegetables.

Berries are high in sugar. Blueberry has more carbs then nectarine or peach. I eat dark chocolate candy that has less carbs then berry.

Seriously, this site will help you;
https://platform.atkins.com/client/#...ion/daily-view
The calculator (meal planner) there is very helpful in estimated carbs consumed in a day.

Last edited by DPolo; 08-15-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 06:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Those are my forbidden foods also. When I stop eating these foods all cravings disappear and my appetite decreases so that I fill up on less food. When I eat these foods the cravings reappear and so does my appetite.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think your plan, as you state it, is not sustainable. It's not a plan. It's a deprivation diet, which is what most people are trying to warn you against.

Secondly - I think you are not understanding basic nutrition. You -are- eating sweets and sugar if you're eating fruit. You might not be eating a lot of sweets or sugar, but you are eating some, which is contrary to your claim that "ALL" (caps yours, not mine) sweets and sugar is forbidden.

What proteins are you eating, what fats are you eating? How many calories total is your daily menu, on average?

What are you doing for strength and fitness? Walking is great for cardio, but it doesn't do much for most of your body other than your calves.
What is unsustainable about her plan? There is no deprivation in eating meats, veggies and fats to satiety. Calories are important but with her plan she will naturally eat less and the calories will limit themselves. I have been eating this way for almost a year. My health has improved in ways that go beyond weight.

I agree that strength training is important but it can wait a few weeks until she is adapted to a low carb way of eating.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The minute you start 'forbidding' foods from your diet, especially as many as you have, you have started on the road to failure.
Back up your statement please!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Quote:
Those are my forbidden foods also. When I stop eating these foods all cravings disappear and my appetite decreases so that I fill up on less food. When I eat these foods the cravings reappear and so does my appetite.
They are among my forbidden foods too, not because of weight loss, but because of health. It is perfectly substainable and once you get used to it, really it is no big deal. I have been doing this for well over 10 years. I do highly suggest looking at paleo, primal, low-carb, and specific carbohydrate diet websites for recipe ideas. Not all recipes are interchangeable but they can provide good starting places to making eating and cooking with restrictions more pleasurable.

The most difficult part is trying to eat out with food restrictions.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What is unsustainable about her plan? There is no deprivation in eating meats, veggies and fats to satiety.
There is nothing unsustainable about it. Both you and I know that. What is continually lost on some people is that not everyone lives for food. I know SO many people who are thin and healthy and they stay that way because they avoid eating some foods--for a myriad of reasons. And unbelievably, they are all immensely happy people.

Maybe some people can't function if a food item is restricted from their diet. Great. Eat away. But the truth is, millions and millions of people on this planet live for more than just a meal, so cutting something out isn't the end of the world. Just like quitting smoking or alcohol, some of us weigh the cost against the benefit and decide it's not worth it. And we go on to live very fulfilling lives.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:05 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I have been on low carb for about two months now, and I find it very easy to stay on. I also feel a lot better. I feel that my body likes it. I have not lost very fast, about 9#, but I feel that slow loss is better loss. Two of my health issues, which are a fatty liver and GERD have been greatly improved.

If a person starts out as a "carb addict", which I was not, then they will see a more dramatic loss faster. You quickly lose your craving for sugar. I eat anything and everything, except, sugar, flour, potato and rice. It's that simple. If I get a craving for dessert, I eat an Atkins snack bar, but most of the time, I only want half of it.

On a few occasions, I have strayed, but it was a conscious decision. Once, the whole family went out for beer and pizza, and I joined in and felt fine about it. Normally, though, I am perfectly fine with making faux pizza on a portabella or piece of chicken. I sort of miss sandwiches, but I usually just have a rolled up piece of roast turkey and cheese instead, or maybe tuna salad rolled up in lettuce. You can eat at almost any restaurant by eating meat and vegetables. You do not need to concern yourself with fat; just stay away from the bread and the pasta.

The big drawback for me, and its not so bad, is I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday, which is a one egg omelet with cheese, and there just isn't any other good easy alternative. I would kill for a bowl of granola, but no big deal.

I find it helpful to keep track of carbs at the Atkins website. This site has a lot of technical problems, but when its working it will help you stay on track while you're learning the diet.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:

I think your plan is fine. I forgot to mention above that I do not eat fruit either, since on the induction part of Atkins, my daily carbs are only 18-22 per day. WAY less than some others have mentioned. I wonder what you are eating that results in 70 grams of carbs, since I easily come under 22 without feeling deprived? I will eat legumes, but not fruit. My basic philosophy is that all vegetables are fine, so I'd sooner eat a baked potato or corn, than I would eat a banana or drink orange juice.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:40 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been on low carb for about two months now, and I find it very easy to stay on. I also feel a lot better. I feel that my body likes it. I have not lost very fast, about 9#, but I feel that slow loss is better loss. Two of my health issues, which are a fatty liver and GERD have been greatly improved.

If a person starts out as a "carb addict", which I was not, then they will see a more dramatic loss faster. You quickly lose your craving for sugar. I eat anything and everything, except, sugar, flour, potato and rice. It's that simple. If I get a craving for dessert, I eat an Atkins snack bar, but most of the time, I only want half of it.

On a few occasions, I have strayed, but it was a conscious decision. Once, the whole family went out for beer and pizza, and I joined in and felt fine about it. Normally, though, I am perfectly fine with making faux pizza on a portabella or piece of chicken. I sort of miss sandwiches, but I usually just have a rolled up piece of roast turkey and cheese instead, or maybe tuna salad rolled up in lettuce. You can eat at almost any restaurant by eating meat and vegetables. You do not need to concern yourself with fat; just stay away from the bread and the pasta.

The big drawback for me, and its not so bad, is I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday, which is a one egg omelet with cheese, and there just isn't any other good easy alternative. I would kill for a bowl of granola, but no big deal.

I find it helpful to keep track of carbs at the Atkins website. This site has a lot of technical problems, but when its working it will help you stay on track while you're learning the diet.
There are a few high protein/low carb cereals out there that I've been enjoying. Like you, eggs for breakfast got old after a while. Kay's Naturals, Wonderslim and Medifast specifically have low carb/high protein cereals that are all pretty good. No granola, but puffed cereals. It's nice to be able to eat cereal again. Regular cereal for breakfast used to put me in a blood sugar tail spin. Couldn't eat it--even the Kashi high protein--without getting the "sweats and shakes" two hours later. The brands I mentioned don't affect me that way at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss