Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

I love millet! Actually I love all of those you listed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:54 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I love millet! Actually I love all of those you listed.
What do you taste when you eat millet? It was bitter to me. Did I need to rinse or something?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
What do you taste when you eat millet? It was bitter to me. Did I need to rinse or something?
I usually use it as a base for a Budha Bowl. I remember it being nutty. I saw it used as a breakfast cereal and I want to try that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-12-2017, 04:55 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
this right here proves what I've said all along. exercise is invaluable when it comes to weight loss. not just because it burns calories, but it improves the mood. deep down in my heart, i know that my diet can go sideways at times because I'm a human being. but as long as I work out, I'm gonna be all right. this does NOT translate to "I can eat lots of calories and i'll burn it off". what it means is that maintaining my fitness naturally defeats self loathing. when i lift weights, i feel very powerful. after a workout session, i feel like a million bucks. that naturally makes me get on track. i would NOT have lost weight and maintained a good diet had I not also worked out.

dieting without exercise, while effective, to me is the same as trying to chase the wind. you can't have one without the other and a person is shortchanging themselves by not exercising. if you are able to get up in the morning and move, then get out and walk. make the time. don't wait until health problems force the hand and prevent you from exercising to do something. i can't picture myself being sedentary ever again...maybe it's because I'm older with arthritic knees and I know that age my one day shut me down. but until that time...
Eh, I'm a lot older than you are and don't have arthritic knees, but I am going to go into my 60s next year fighting!

I commute into the city three days a week. I see a number of people every day, mostly women, walking with canes through the train station. Every last one of them is overweight. I don't know if their weight caused the issue for which they need a cane or vice versa, but it's a motive for me to keep moving while I have the ability.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:34 PM

582 posts, read 763,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Other things than hyperthyroid cause increased appetite. I think you need to do a little reading on the thyroid gland and its function.

You don't know because you haven't had a simple blood test to check your thyroid hormone levels.
I don't know what to do anymore because I have done ALL the blood tests that you could think of and the results are normal.
I follow up with an endocrinologist and he suggested, based on the most recent blood tests, that I take vitamins D and B12 supplements and see what happens. He also said that my thyroid is not officially under active but borderline and he doesn't want to put me on meds just yet.

The confusion comes from having symptoms of overactive and under active thyroid at the same time. It could be thyroid, it could be vitamins.. I don't know.

You think I come here to vent without having a simple blood test first?

Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
You can definitely have thyroid malfunction that fluctuates hyper/hypo.

An endocrinology consult is best to determine if that's your problem.
Thank you for letting me know about that. I didn't know that thyroid malfunction could fluctuates. I think that is what I am experiencing.
I have been following up with an endo and he is hesitant to put me on thyroid meds. To tell you the truth, I am not very crazy about it either. I would rather try anything else that might work.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I love faro, chia, barley, buckwheat and oats. I tried millet and quinoa and they both tasted tart or something. Maybe I prepared them wrong because everyone is sure in love with quinoa.

What is your favorite ancient grain safina?
I love all of them, Lilly. I have tried quinoa, rye, and spelt. I have tried buckwheat and I love it. I have bought amaranth and millet but haven't tried them yet. I have wonderful recipes for a hearty healthy ancient grains breakfast, if you are interested, let me know. I will share them with you.
I am excited to try amaranth and millet.
I have tried cookies made with einkorn flour and they were delicious. I am planning on buying einkorn too.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah you should rinse it several times, Lilly. Some people soak it overnight to make the cooking easier.
Also, add maple syrup or any other sweetner. You could also add dates or dried figs, and cook it with water first then add milk at the end so it is nice and creamy. I saw a great recipe and they put the cooked millet in the blender to make a cream of millet. There are tons of ideas and recipes out there.

Last edited by safina1; 11-12-2017 at 11:23 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I don't know what to do anymore because I have done ALL the blood tests that you could think of and the results are normal.
I follow up with an endocrinologist and he suggested, based on the most recent blood tests, that I take vitamins D and B12 supplements and see what happens. He also said that my thyroid is not officially under active but borderline and he doesn't want to put me on meds just yet.

The confusion comes from having symptoms of overactive and under active thyroid at the same time. It could be thyroid, it could be vitamins.. I don't know.

You think I come here to vent without having a simple blood test first?
OK, I got the impression from the post I quoted that you hadn't had blood tests done and were just guessing based on how you feel.

Good on your doc for not rushing to write a scrip. Mine is also borderline, "low-normal", but because I have another thyroid disease, he put me on them as a backup measure.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Eh, I'm a lot older than you are and don't have arthritic knees, but I am going to go into my 60s next year fighting!

I commute into the city three days a week. I see a number of people every day, mostly women, walking with canes through the train station. Every last one of them is overweight. I don't know if their weight caused the issue for which they need a cane or vice versa, but it's a motive for me to keep moving while I have the ability.
Arthritis runs in my family. Mine was brought on at a younger age (40) due to obesity, I'm pretty certain. Same reason for my HBP. That runs in my family as well but had I not been overweight, I probably would have not been diagnosed before my sixties. Instead, I was put on medication in my early 40s. Two reasons why being overweight and sedentary is not an option. Both are life changing and/or life threatening conditions that have been managed using medication and in the case of the arthritis exercise. I wish I had gotten my act together before the health issues because I am burdened with these conditions for life, despite being in my best shape in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss