Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM

582 posts, read 763,846 times

Advertisements

Beside the regular advice " change your diet" and " exercise". what else can I do to get over the nasty plateau that I have had for about 3 months now?
I am not on a calorie deficit anymore. I used to be on a calorie deficit when I was over 200 pounds and eating 1700-1800 calories a day. Now, that I have lost some weight, for some weird reason, my appetite has increased and I feel hungry at 1800 calories so I am eating about 2000 calories, some days I go up to 2100 calories.

I am not an active person and I have a sedentary lifestyle. I hate exercise. I have a gym membership but i just don't go.

I have been following up with a nutritionist and she doesn't seem to help. All what she keeps telling me is to up my protein intake and try to exercise.

I started to develop a gut. I feel like I gained a couple of pounds.

have you hit a plateau before? how did you get out of it successfully? what did you do?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Your post doesn't make sense. You are not eating at a calorie deficit and you don't exercise.

Why are you expecting to lose weight?

Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your post doesn't make sense. You are not eating at a calorie deficit and you don't exercise.

Why are you expecting to lose weight?
This is so true, but I used to lose weight by just eating the same amount of food I am eating now.
I don't know if that makes sense.

so you are saying I am eating too much to lose any more weight, right? but I just can't reduce the calories because I feel hungry. I don't want to slow down my metabolism either.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
This is so true, but I used to lose weight by just eating the same amount of food I am eating now.
I don't know if that makes sense.

so you are saying I am eating too much to lose any more weight, right? but I just can't reduce the calories because I feel hungry. I don't want to slow down my metabolism either.
You know what you have to do. Exercise. If you aren't in a deficit, something has to change. You either eat even less, or move more. there's no magic formula.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:56 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Beside the regular advice " change your diet" and " exercise". what else can I do to get over the nasty plateau that I have had for about 3 months now?
I am not on a calorie deficit anymore. I used to be on a calorie deficit when I was over 200 pounds and eating 1700-1800 calories a day. Now, that I have lost some weight, for some weird reason, my appetite has increased and I feel hungry at 1800 calories so I am eating about 2000 calories, some days I go up to 2100 calories.

I am not an active person and I have a sedentary lifestyle. I hate exercise. I have a gym membership but i just don't go.

I have been following up with a nutritionist and she doesn't seem to help. All what she keeps telling me is to up my protein intake and try to exercise.

I started to develop a gut. I feel like I gained a couple of pounds.

have you hit a plateau before? how did you get out of it successfully? what did you do?

Thanks in advance!
You haven't hit a plateau. A plateau is when you are following a diet and exercise program that you have been losing with and then you stop losing for a few weeks. You have been eating more and not exercising. That is not a plateau. Eat more - move less = weight gain.

Eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. When and if you ever become ready that is what you will need to do to be successful. It will take willpower, sacrifice, hard work. The good news is that you will become accustomed to eating less and chances are great that you will start to enjoy exercising.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Eat more protein. If you are hungry between meals, eat an apple....or eat a pear, or carrots, cheese healthy foods.....don't snack on unhealthy foods. If you want something sweet, you are likely craving protein.

And, you have raised your calorie intake, so how could you expect to lose....you might be eating enough to maintain your weight. If you want to lose, reduce your calorie intake.

Also, drink plenty of water, it flushes your system and keeps you hydrated.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You haven't hit a plateau. A plateau is when you are following a diet and exercise program that you have been losing with and then you stop losing for a few weeks. You have been eating more and not exercising. That is not a plateau. Eat more - move less = weight gain.

Eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. When and if you ever become ready that is what you will need to do to be successful. It will take willpower, sacrifice, hard work. The good news is that you will become accustomed to eating less and chances are great that you will start to enjoy exercising.
I have been losing just by eating the proper amount of healthy food with no exercise. I thought I could continue losing more weight that way.

But yeah, I am eating a little more. I just don't know why I am more hungrier.

Are you guys saying that I have to adjust my calorie intake based on my new weight? if so, that means the more weight I lose, the less calories I should eat. right?

But I have an increased appetite. I guess I am confusing myself.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM

I guess I am wondering here why I feel the need to eat more when I weight less when I used to eat less when I weighed more.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:28 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
I guess I am wondering here why I feel the need to eat more when I weight less when I used to eat less when I weighed more.
I would bet its psychological. When you feel hungry and you know you have eaten enough go for a walk, or do something that will occupy your mind. You should get back to exercising. It really is key to effective and lasting weight loss. Diet is 90%, but exercise is more than burning calories, its a state of mind. Exercise boosts self esteem, gets endorphins going, and makes us just feel better mind and body.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I would bet its psychological. When you feel hungry and you know you have eaten enough go for a walk, or do something that will occupy your mind. You should get back to exercising. It really is key to effective and lasting weight loss. Diet is 90%, but exercise is more than burning calories, its a state of mind. Exercise boosts self esteem, gets endorphins going, and makes us just feel better mind and body.
I like how you phrase it . Exercise is a state of mind. yeah, I have been under a lot of stress lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss