Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times

Advertisements

I LOVE food and actually enjoy eating. This is why I'm fat. I'm a sensation eater.

Things that I have found help, which some may disagree with or agree with:

-Have some flavorful cubes of meat ready to snack on. I'll marinate a chicken breast, cube it up and maybe pop a few bites into my mouth if I'm still hungry.

-Tea - I have a wide collection of different types of tea. I will brew up a cup of rooibos, jasmine or Earl Grey tea - I am ALWAYS trying new flavors. One recent favorite was from Trader Joe's- their apricot-peach black tea. Just a fun flavor.

-I've recently discovered those concentrated sugar-free drink flavorings. I buy a bunch and then mix them in my water in different combinations. I started a thread on them tonight - curious about what others' opinions are on this. But I'll buy the "sweet tea", the lemonade, and some other fruit flavors, then blend them in my water bottle. I've been chugging them all week and it seems to be helping. I was never a fan of artificial sweeteners, but I'm really liking these. (Yep - sensation eater)

-Seed combos fill me up dramatically. I bought the "salad topper" blend of seeds and dried cranberries. I have a quarter cup (150 calories) and it holds me all through the morning. The protein/fat in the seeds, the sweetness of the dried cranberries and the saltiness hit all my important sensation receptors and fills me up for hours.

-Eat more mindfully. I mean, really THINK about what you're eating and appreciate it. I've found this can be very beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:35 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think that is your brain and not your stomach. You may have to retrain yourself to eat smaller meals, but more of them. Not unless of course you don't eat much for the rest of the day. Biscuits and gravy are extremely caloric, not to mention terribly unhealthy.
This is gong to sound harsh but I think it comes down to the difference between want and need.
You HAVE to retrain your body to accept less food. It will adjust. Give it some time. Your body WILL adjust.

Tips:
Use a smaller plate so your eyes think your plate is overflowing.
Eat slower so the food takes longer to finish.
Eat smaller bites so you need to take more bites.

If you are STILL hungry than you need to rethink your diet. Maybe your body needs more of XYZ and less of ABC.

Give it some time.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
So, that's the question. I had breakfast today, ate 'enough,' but am still hungry. If you're trying to lose weight, what do you do?
Ignore the feelings of hunger and think about the up coming lunch.
Not sure what your breakfast consists of but you shouldnt be feeling hungry after eating it.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Drink more water. If still hungry, snack on some veggies. Figure out a breakfast that will make you feel more full in the future. More protein most likely.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Drink more water. If still hungry, snack on some veggies. Figure out a breakfast that will make you feel more full in the future. More protein most likely.
I find that a whole-grain english muffin with peanut butter is very filling - it's become my go-to quick breakfast. When I have more time, it's an egg with a little cheese and 2 slices of crisp bacon in a small tortilla - that also keeps me pretty full for a while.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I find that a whole-grain english muffin with peanut butter is very filling - it's become my go-to quick breakfast. When I have more time, it's an egg with a little cheese and 2 slices of crisp bacon in a small tortilla - that also keeps me pretty full for a while.
Well, that's interesting. I've been doing the free style points on WW, and if I get hungry, which I am now, I can have an apple compote or fruit (no points). But I don't always want that. On the other hand, I'm wondering if thin people learn to be hungry at certain points and don't eat if they have finished their quota for the day. I remember Joan Rivers saying to an interviewer that if she had a cheese danish at the beginning of the day, she finished her caloric intake for the day, because her daily caloric intake should be low.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You HAVE to retrain your body to accept less food. It will adjust. Give it some time. Your body WILL adjust.

Tips:
Use a smaller plate so your eyes think your plate is overflowing.
Eat slower so the food takes longer to finish.
Eat smaller bites so you need to take more bites.

If you are STILL hungry than you need to rethink your diet. Maybe your body needs more of XYZ and less of ABC.

Give it some time.
Yes, I'm readjusting, kind of, so to speak. I'm learning to be hungry, not starving, if I go long enough between meals. What I mean by that is that I ate dinner, but staying up late, and so I'm hungry now. But I'm not wanting to eat. So I guess I'm retraining my body and my psyche. I hope it lasts.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
That's not hunger, that's just your body trying to get you to eat just because. Learn when to respond and when not to. Don't subconsciously think about food. If your mind is otherwise engaged then you won't be paying attention to false hunger cues. How about going to sleep and winding down? I used to eat my dessert right before bed but now I eat it shortly after dinner and I haven't eaten in hours. My body isn't sending any signals at all now. It knows that I'm done eating for the night. As much as I liked the points system I'd rather just go by calories

Old 03-15-2018, 08:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Yes, I'm readjusting, kind of, so to speak. I'm learning to be hungry, not starving, if I go long enough between meals. What I mean by that is that I ate dinner, but staying up late, and so I'm hungry now. But I'm not wanting to eat. So I guess I'm retraining my body and my psyche. I hope it lasts.
I call that the difference between head hunger and stomach hunger. Head hunger is thinking you're hungry because it's been a couple of hours since you've eaten, or you're bored, or you start thinking about a food you like. Stomach hunger is that gnawing feeling in your belly, or feeling grumpy or light-headed. If you keep up with your new eating habits, you'll learn the difference. Satisfy head hunger with water, or coffee with no/very little real sweetener, or fresh vegetables. Satisfy stomach hunger with protein, fats, and complex carbs.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Drink a bunch of water, that helps me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss