Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:59 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I LOVE food and actually enjoy eating. This is why I'm fat. I'm a sensation eater.

Things that I have found help, which some may disagree with or agree with:

-Have some flavorful cubes of meat ready to snack on. I'll marinate a chicken breast, cube it up and maybe pop a few bites into my mouth if I'm still hungry.

-Tea - I have a wide collection of different types of tea. I will brew up a cup of rooibos, jasmine or Earl Grey tea - I am ALWAYS trying new flavors. One recent favorite was from Trader Joe's- their apricot-peach black tea. Just a fun flavor.

-I've recently discovered those concentrated sugar-free drink flavorings. I buy a bunch and then mix them in my water in different combinations. I started a thread on them tonight - curious about what others' opinions are on this. But I'll buy the "sweet tea", the lemonade, and some other fruit flavors, then blend them in my water bottle. I've been chugging them all week and it seems to be helping. I was never a fan of artificial sweeteners, but I'm really liking these. (Yep - sensation eater)

-Seed combos fill me up dramatically. I bought the "salad topper" blend of seeds and dried cranberries. I have a quarter cup (150 calories) and it holds me all through the morning. The protein/fat in the seeds, the sweetness of the dried cranberries and the saltiness hit all my important sensation receptors and fills me up for hours.

-Eat more mindfully. I mean, really THINK about what you're eating and appreciate it. I've found this can be very beneficial.
Yes, well, today wasn't the greatest of days. But I haven't yet pigged out on chips and pretzels and huge bowls of pasta. (Although the pasta sounds tempting. It's probably coming up after my next 3-4 lb. loss.) I am coming to terms with the idea that I may not eat out for a long time, maybe never as I used to on a regular basis. We'll see. The salad topper idea sounds good, I'll look into it. I usually put pumpkin seeds or raisins in the salad, I love a big field green salad with low-fat ranch dressing. I was hungry tonight and had a cob of corn (no points on WW), and some popcorn air-popped. Before that I definitely ate my quota of points. I know I need to drink more fluids, been reading about that. Thanks for the input.
I did the sugar free powder flavorings, but found that I went to the bathroom too often, so I'm down to powdered lemon (True Lemon) with a little liquid honey stevia for sweetness. I am not craving anything now after my little cob of corn and popcorn, so I'm happy I'm not dying for food.
I looked into the toppers just now, and see many of them are filled with sugar. I can put sliced almonds and sunflower seeds and raisins in. Raisins have a lot of calories, though. We'll get there, I hope. :-) Thanks, and have a good night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Yes, well, today wasn't the greatest of days. But I haven't yet pigged out on chips and pretzels and huge bowls of pasta. (Although the pasta sounds tempting. It's probably coming up after my next 3-4 lb. loss.) I am coming to terms with the idea that I may not eat out for a long time, maybe never as I used to on a regular basis. We'll see. The salad topper idea sounds good, I'll look into it. I usually put pumpkin seeds or raisins in the salad, I love a big field green salad with low-fat ranch dressing. I was hungry tonight and had a cob of corn (no points on WW), and some popcorn air-popped. Before that I definitely ate my quota of points. I know I need to drink more fluids, been reading about that. Thanks for the input.
I did the sugar free powder flavorings, but found that I went to the bathroom too often, so I'm down to powdered lemon (True Lemon) with a little liquid honey stevia for sweetness. I am not craving anything now after my little cob of corn and popcorn, so I'm happy I'm not dying for food.
I looked into the toppers just now, and see many of them are filled with sugar. I can put sliced almonds and sunflower seeds and raisins in. Raisins have a lot of calories, though. We'll get there, I hope. :-) Thanks, and have a good night!
Oh yeah, with the "Salad Topper" I meant the brand. I don't think they add any sugar, just salt and tamarind. I get it at costco. it's just pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (or something similar) and dried cranberries. FILLED with fiber and I think protein too. A little bit goes a long way. It's great on salads but it's also great as a snack.

I've gotten those other toppers, but the candied walnuts and the honey roasted almond slivers ARE just basically nuts and sugar. Fine to use a little on a salad, but not a great snack.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:36 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Oh yeah, with the "Salad Topper" I meant the brand. I don't think they add any sugar, just salt and tamarind. I get it at costco. it's just pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (or something similar) and dried cranberries. FILLED with fiber and I think protein too. A little bit goes a long way. It's great on salads but it's also great as a snack.

I've gotten those other toppers, but the candied walnuts and the honey roasted almond slivers ARE just basically nuts and sugar. Fine to use a little on a salad, but not a great snack.
Have you ever seen how much sugar is in dried cranberries? It's what keeps me away. I guess not adding sugar to cranberries is problematic. They must be awful on their own.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:56 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,961 times
Pour some olive oil or butter over whatever you are eating. I find that it keeps me from being hungry for a longer time

Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Have you ever seen how much sugar is in dried cranberries? It's what keeps me away. I guess not adding sugar to cranberries is problematic. They must be awful on their own.
Yeah, but there aren't that many in the mix I use. It's almost entirely seeds with just a little bit of dried cranberry thrown in.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
A handful of pistachios and/or a small 'chunk' of real cheese along with a chaser of ice cold water. It does the trick for me.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you really still hungry, or is it just that you want to eat more?
If I knew the answer to that, I guess I'd be better. After joining Weight Watchers, and Sparkpeople, I'm probably gaining weight, I've given up. I bought a scale, afraid to get on it. I tried counting points and calories, I don't like that. My main goal now is to eat 'better,' more wholesome foods. My next deal is to try flavored almonds -- not chocolate coated -- but flavored, maybe that will do the trick as a snack. Also saffron. Not sure how to use the saffron though.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:25 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
If I knew the answer to that, I guess I'd be better. After joining Weight Watchers, and Sparkpeople, I'm probably gaining weight, I've given up. I bought a scale, afraid to get on it. I tried counting points and calories, I don't like that. My main goal now is to eat 'better,' more wholesome foods. My next deal is to try flavored almonds -- not chocolate coated -- but flavored, maybe that will do the trick as a snack. Also saffron. Not sure how to use the saffron though.
If you want to eat almonds get raw almonds. The flavored ones are full of salt and preservatives. Also almonds are high in calories so you only need to eat a few. But they can be a great small snack to satisfy you.
Saffron is not the answer either.
The trick is to eat fresh foods that are satiating. Focus on lots of vegetables, lean proteins, good fats, and maybe some whole grains - depending on what they are.
Weight Watchers can be a very good plan if you follow it. Record everything you eat - every last crumb. Drink lots of water. And exercise - something that gets your heart rate up.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you want to eat almonds get raw almonds. The flavored ones are full of salt and preservatives. Also almonds are high in calories so you only need to eat a few. But they can be a great small snack to satisfy you.
Saffron is not the answer either.
The trick is to eat fresh foods that are satiating. Focus on lots of vegetables, lean proteins, good fats, and maybe some whole grains - depending on what they are.
Weight Watchers can be a very good plan if you follow it. Record everything you eat - every last crumb. Drink lots of water. And exercise - something that gets your heart rate up.
I know that must be the answer, but it's tedious to record everything I eat, and frustrating and nerve-wracking. I don't like raw almonds, so I was thinking of flavored ones,maybe I'll try flavoring them myself.But now I'm thinking I forgot about popcorn for a few weeks, I make it from the kernels, so maybe I'll try that. This is HARD...!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
My advice when you're still hungry is this - drink a big glass or a whole bottle of water. Then walk away and do something else.

Also, eat good, lean proteins - they are filling.

Chew some Pur gum - get the chocolate flavored one if you crave chocolate. This seems to really ease that sweet tooth I get sometimes!

I had to accept that I was considering food to be entertainment. It's sustenance, not entertainment. I had to find other ways to entertain myself. That being said, I haven't lost the joy of cooking or tasting great combos - I just had to switch to lots of veggie combos, exploring new fruits, etc - get the focus off of carbs, cheeses, fried stuff, etc. There is so much good food out there - so many lower fat and lower calorie, interesting, adventurous combos out there!

OP it sounds like you may have some addictions to carbs/sugars going on. If you can break away from that, give it one week and I promise you will not crave them like you are now. Yes, that week is tough, but I would recommend completely eliminating sugar and wheat from your diet for one week. Then try adding just one back in for a week - in small doses. If you gain or bloat or whatever, then you know that's the problem but you also won't be in the throes of addiction either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss