Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 08:27 AM

7,726 posts, read 3,778,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Anyone else have actual information?
You can buy them over-the-counter in Spain and Italy, I've just been told by my doctor. He has patients who take a vacation there & return with a supply. The lower price of the medicine in Spain & Italy - compared to the USA - pays for most of the vacation. He says he's read of someone going to Canada & returning with them, but they were supposedly confiscated (this is very 3rd hand so details might be missing/wrong).

I know this comment doesn't help you with your current HSA issue, but once you are on Medicaid, the information may be useful to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 11:46 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
You can buy them over-the-counter in Spain and Italy, I've just been told by my doctor. He has patients who take a vacation there & return with a supply. The lower price of the medicine in Spain & Italy - compared to the USA - pays for most of the vacation. He says he's read of someone going to Canada & returning with them, but they were supposedly confiscated (this is very 3rd hand so details might be missing/wrong).

I know this comment doesn't help you with your current HSA issue, but once you are on Medicaid, the information may be useful to you.
Importing pharmaceuticals that require a prescription in the USA, that don't have a prescription - is against the law. If you're caught with them at customs they get confiscated and you end up with a drug smuggling charge under your belt.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:00 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Makes sense. It's really for very obese people not as a diet pill for aesthetic purposes. The health risks for being overweight are very low whereas when you get into morbid obesity they are very high.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:17 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Some of you have very creative ideas as to where to spend the money but, unfortunately, most of them aren't covered (such as the personal trainer or even a gym membership). I hike like a fiend and am actually already quite physically active, but thanks.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:56 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Some of you have very creative ideas as to where to spend the money but, unfortunately, most of them aren't covered (such as the personal trainer or even a gym membership). I hike like a fiend and am actually already quite physically active, but thanks.
Those are also not covered in my plan. I did hire a personal trainer after my big accident with my crushed knee. I had spent 50 weeks in physical therapy and still could not walk. I can tell you it's a very worthwhile investment. I had a guy who was a navy veteran who had been shot with a rocket through his leg and he had fallen off a high ladder and had 20 screws in his arm. I was sure he understood what I was dealing with in regard to pain. He was very good at his job and he was at a gym (with an elevator)) a half mile from my house. I still have muscle I built with him 15 years later.

But, there is no tax advantage.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
You totally and completely missed the point.

Here is the point, since it got past you:

There are better things to spend your health savings money on, than a series of injections that have potentially dangerous side effects, just because you are overweight. Especially since, as you just stated, you're already quite physically active (and therefore likely physically fit).

Old 01-28-2024, 04:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I hike like a fiend and am actually already quite physically active
That doesn't help LOSS one little bit. Actually, that activity makes it even harder.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:34 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that one had to "medically qualify" for its use just for weight loss purposes. Does one, in fact, have to be clinically obese even if one is paying out of pocket for it?
All drugs have side effects. If you're a good candidate for a drug therapy, the likely benefits outweigh the likely risks. The "trouble" with being only moderately overweight is, the likely benefits are reduced, so the tradeoff shifts.

P.S. The silver lining is - be glad that you're not a slam dunk to qualify for this therapy!

Old 01-28-2024, 07:47 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Some things you can spend the $2k on:

1 tube triple-antibiotic ointment. Don't get more than one, the first one's expiration date will run out before you ever use up half of the danged thing.
6 tubes of your favorite toothpaste
1 bottle of mouthwash
if you use an electric toothbrush, get a dozen replacement heads. If you don't use one, buy a good one. And get a dozen replacement heads.
A waterpik, if you don't have one.
OTC pain patches
a bottle of multivitamins
Flexible cloth bandages in every size - a few boxes of each.
Sunscreen
A lumbar support pillow from a medical supply store. You might not need it now. You'll need it eventually.

That'll be around $700 total for all of the above.

Now buy a duplicate of each. Donate it all to a charity clinic near you that treats homeless people.
Other ideas: get your teeth whitened at the dentist. Stock up on contact lens solution if you wear contacts. Buy an extra pair of Rx glasses or sunglasses.

OP: I am on Ozempic. I lost 20 pounds almost immediately after taking it but haven’t lost any more. I am sure if I quit taking it I’ll gain the weight back.

I agree with other posters who suggest a “weight loss center.” I think they don’t follow the rules as closely, as long as you have the money.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Cosmetic procedures (such as teeth whitening) are not covered.

I don't wear glasses.

And it's MEDICARE I'll soon be going on; not MEDICAID.

Interestingly: MEDICAID covers these weight loss drugs; MEDICARE does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss