Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:12 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I just learned that I have about $2k in a health reimbursement account that I have to "use or lose" before going on Medicare next month, so I decided I'd like to try one of these new weight loss drugs (that amount should cover the initial and a refill, or two months' worth, and give me a good jump start on my weight loss). Although I'm definitely overweight at 145 and just 5'0" tall (BMI of 29), I was told by my doctor through a message that I "don't qualify" for it. Is there a particular level of "fatness" that I'd have to achieve first? I wonder if he's confused and trying to tell me that insurance wouldn't cover it because I'm not diabetic (of which I'm aware; this isn't insurance, but to pay for out-of-pocket expenses insurance doesn't cover). Should I pursue this and try to clarify, or is he correct that I'm "too thin" to even warrant a prescription - insured or not - for weight loss purposes? Anyone had trouble getting it even on their own dime? I feel like I'm the only overweight person NOT taking it at this point!

Last edited by otterhere; 01-26-2024 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 04:17 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Have you asked the doc who denied it for clarification?

Old 01-26-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The first person I'd ask for clarification is the doctor who denied it.
That's what I tried to do, except that I had to go through a middleman. I can't talk directly to him without an appointment, and he doesn't have any appointments before my funds expire.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:20 PM

3,105 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I think you have a BMI of 28.3. I used this site to calculate it using your data. You are not obese, just overweight. More than 30 is considered obese.

Maybe if you are able to measure the percentage of fat (a different thing/test) on your body, and maybe if the fat is more around the waist or inside the body/organs etc. It might be an issue for your health and you might qualify.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm

Old 01-26-2024, 04:23 PM

I wasn't aware that one had to "medically qualify" for its use just for weight loss purposes. Does one, in fact, have to be clinically obese even if one is paying out of pocket for it?

Old 01-26-2024, 04:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Yes, it's used now for treatment of obesity, not for general weight loss. It's a potentially dangerous drug, with some pretty serious potential side effects. At 5 feet tall, 145 pounds isn't that big a deal. If you lose only 10 pounds you'll feel and look better, you don't need prescription meds for a 10-pound loss.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Yes, it's used now for treatment of obesity, not for general weight loss. It's a potentially dangerous drug, with some pretty serious potential side effects. At 5 feet tall, 145 pounds isn't that big a deal. If you lose only 10 pounds you'll feel and look better, you don't need prescription meds for a 10-pound loss.
Except that I CAN'T lose ten pounds (I'm also post-menopausal with a very slow metabolism). If I lose one or two, I gain it right back. This is where my body wants to be, apparently. If I completely stopped eating, I'm sure I'd eventually lose, but that ain't happenin'.

So you DO have to reach a certain level of fatness to get a prescription written, even if insurance isn't involved at all.

Is that what I'm hearing?

I'm like one number away from "obesity" and am probably not even 5'0" anymore, truth to tell (my chart just took my word for my height, and that was years ago). It seems like quibbling...

Old 01-26-2024, 04:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...and give me a good jump start on my weight loss) ...at 145 and just 5'0" tall
25% of that total, if lost, would get you down to 110. That's Keto/Fasting Country.
Maybe use the money for some cosmetics.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:44 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Health expenses payable from an HRA must be qualified as designated by the IRS. This is because an HRA receives tax benefits.

Only eligible with a Letter of Medical Necessity

Weight loss programs or drugs are eligible for reimbursement with flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), and health reimbursement accounts (HRA) with a Letter of Medical Necessity. They are not eligible for reimbursement with dependent care flexible spending accounts and limited-purpose flexible spending accounts (LPFSA).
https://www.healthequity.com/hra-qme

You are not paying out-of-pocket from your income, which would have been subject to taxes. You are paying from non-taxed funds.

What is Wegovy®?
WEGOVY® (semaglutide) injection 2.4 mg is an injectable prescription medicine that may help adults and children aged ≥12 years with obesity (BMI ≥30 for adults, BMI ≥ 95th percentile for age and sex for children), or some adults with excess weight (BMI ≥27) (overweight) who also have weight-related medical problems to help them lose weight and keep it off. Wegovy® should be used with a reduced calorie meal plan and increased physical activity
https://www.wegovy.com/taking-wegovy...govy-pen.html?

Of course this medication could be contraindicated if there are other medications, side effects, etc.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:47 PM

So if my BMI were 30 and not 28.5, I would "qualify" for "a letter of medical necessity" and therefore a prescription? Maybe I should go somewhere for exact measurements and not estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss