Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 07:46 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Twenty pounds of extra weight in the midsection isn't "healthy," either, and my efforts to lose it have failed.

If I could get $2k worth of therapy in one month, maybe I would. But I'm not letting $2k just go to waste.

Again, your input has been noted. Thanks for your opinion.

Anyone else have actual information?
Here you go...I just looked this up for my cousin:

Liraglutide (Saxenda) and semaglutide (Wegovy) are approved for weightloss, Ozempic and the others are not. And I'm not suggesting that you do this, but there are several online companies that will prescribe it but they require that you talk to one of their doctors first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 08:20 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It looks like that without other medically related factors bm 30 is required.
I guess you missed the part where I said I HAVE another medically related factor: hyperlipidemia.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:48 PM

230 posts, read 161,254 times
I got started on Metformin through AgelessRx.com. I have nothing but good things to say about this company. Their price for Wegovy is not cheap, but they will likely sell it to you. Good luck! AgelessRx.com

Old 01-29-2024, 10:55 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjuice View Post
I got started on Metformin through AgelessRx.com. I have nothing but good things to say about this company. Their price for Wegovy is not cheap, but they will likely sell it to you. Good luck! AgelessRx.com
How does the Metformin make you feel? Have you experienced any side effects?

Old 01-30-2024, 12:52 AM

256 posts, read 113,803 times
My dream for all of you who are battling the bulge :

That there are no prerequisites to obtaining a script for Wegovy. All it should take is a desire to blast the fat and get healthy. I'm not misinformed, I realize there are side effects. And of course, the drug is inappropriate for patients with known contraindications. But otherwise, people should not get rejected, especially when you are paying for the drug. It should be EASY to get...but I'm dreaming *sigh*

True story - I spoke to my doctor about my concern that I'm carrying a bit extra. We decided on how many pounds to drop, then she wrote me a script for Ozempic (off-label, I guess, but it doesn't matter.) I pay for it myself.
It was SO EASY!

Old 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM

230 posts, read 161,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
How does the Metformin make you feel? Have you experienced any side effects?
I’ve been taking Metformin since the end of September 2023. The GI side effects lasted about 2-4 weeks for me and were tolerable. I’ve been pre-diabetic for >10 years so at this point I was desperate to find a solution to normalize my blood glucose. The combination of a low-carb diet + Metformin has brought my blood sugar back to a normal range. I want to note that I am someone who will only take Rx drugs as a last resort. I’ve been told that Berberine supplements work like Metformin, but Berberine didn’t help me.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:03 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Repeating: I DO qualify according to the prescribing protocol, so to say I don't is erroneous. If he doesn't WISH to prescribe it, that's a different issue, and he should just say so.

And I didn't "drop the ball"; I was JUST notified that the funds expire in a month. Had no idea; was never told.
A few points

- you still could hold off Medicare signing to up to 3 months AFTER your 65-th birthday. It gives you more time to sop the doctors who would prescribe.

If you are already on SS - they sign you up automatically, but you could tell them you don’t want to start when they want you to start.

- shop doctors like the opioids patients used to do

Personally, I agree with the majority here that you are better off spending your account money on other more helpful and more necessary things - sometimes it may even include small remodel jobs - the bathroom grab bars near shower and the toilet, some people put a chairlift, etc - if the doctor prescribes.

I would go to the IRS publication and see what else you could spend your money on - something more useful than Wegovy

Don’t be stubborn: the extensive research has shown that people who are up to 20% overweight live longer than skinny and obese.

One study was done in Europe, then 20 years later - in US.
The results were the same - stay slightly overweight

Congratulations on staying active: that is the key for you

Old 01-30-2024, 06:15 AM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The BM is a requirement but it's not the sole and only factor used to determine appropriateness. The OP is stuck on the Body Mass portion forgetting that a medical profession is not required to prescribe any drug just because a person meets the minimum guidelines. It clearly states the physician can also consider the patients' mental state when prescribing the drug or wait prescribing it if they think alternatives have not been fully explored or tried. For all we know, the doctor could have told the patient to lay off the chili dogs and get off dang couch for a month before they would consider using pharmaceuticals to lose a few pounds.
It is my impression that all OP sees is her account balance, bmi and not getting what she wants when others keep posting about how it worked for them.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:21 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It is my impression that all OP sees is her account balance, bmi and not getting what she wants when others keep posting about how it worked for them.
What else SHOULD I see but that I DO qualify for it (my BMI is barely under 30 assuming I haven't lost height with age, and - even if it weren't - I have a qualifying comorbidity) and that I DO have $2k I need to spend or else it will go to waste (would YOU fancy losing $2k?), and that I DO need and want to lose 15-20 pounds for both my health and well-being (central obesity around the organs is dangerous, and it's depressing having a beer belly as a woman) and haven't been able to after years of trying?

What, exactly, is your objection to that, except that you have a personal grudge against the OP that's very obvious here?

I'm happy to hear that it's worked for others; keep the stories coming. Good for you! I wish it could work for me.

PS: "Home improvements" from a contractor are not covered.

Last edited by otterhere; 01-30-2024 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-30-2024, 06:29 AM

256 posts, read 113,803 times
otterhere...you may not get Wegovy at this point in time, but you're ALWAYS going to wonder if it could have helped you shed the pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss