Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,769 times

Advertisements

I read your comments about how you changed your diet. How do you supplement your minerals from the grains that you have deleted from your diet? Vit D needs to accompany certain minerals that you find in grains. Are you taking a supplement? Vitamin D is crucial in allowing the body to form
bone alongside Calcium and other minerals combined.

You can contact me at [email]kjk46@hotmail.com[/email] if you like. Type in Sjogren's in Subject space so that I know it is from you. I too have Lupus, Sjogren's, Interstitial Cystitis, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, peripheral artery disease, and
lung involvement. I have added Vit D in the form of Cod Liver Oil and Omega 3's and it has
been very effective with regard to brain fog, weight reduction, well being, muscle integrity, blood sugar issues, leg cramps, constipation, less fatigue and sleep issues.

Please write at any time as I would enjoy exchanging information.

Sincerely,

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM
NSA

1 posts, read 10,486 times
Default sjogren syndrom - swollen inner cheek mucosa and fibroma's in the mouth

I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and possibly Lupus. I noticed problems with some of my nails also (drying and spliting), but not all of them - - strange! I also have developed swelling of my inner cheeks that have now have small fibromas, and predominately my lower inner lip has swollen to the point of nearly covering my lower teeth. Does anyone else have this problem and know how to get rid of it? Do you suggest seeing an allergist? What foods should I avoid? This is just so frustrating!

Thanks!

Last edited by NSA; 12-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfanwy Swansea View Post
I stumbled upon a diet for my Sjogren's Syndrome and I wanted not only to share it with others but also to invite anyone else with Sjogren's to share what they have done to manage their condition(s).

Since I began my "diet" I feel phenomenally better. The diet is simple, I eat no grains. No wheat, no rice, no corn, nothing - nada! I do eat all manner of fruit, vegetable, dairy and protein. I eliminated caffeine from my diet. I'm not a smoker or a drinker so those aren't a problem. As with all Sjogren's patients, drink plenty of water.

The philosophy behind my findings is like Celiac Disease (your body's reaction to gluten) causes your body to not be able to absorb vitamins and fluids properly and so you get all manner of other problems. I tried gluten free and it helped a bit, but it wasn't enough that's why I went completely grain free. You should also be aware of the hidden grains in condiments and other processed foods.

About two weeks after starting my diet, I began feeling so much better, I sleep better, I drool when I sleep, I don't feel sleepy after I eat, and my eyes aren't itchy!! Who would have thought drooling would be a good thing? More than anything else is my brain fog has cleared. For a while, I thought I was entering into early dementia and now that awful feeling of brain fog is gone!

Whereas before my diet I couldn't eat eggs and dairy because they caused me a lot of upset, now neither is a problem for me. I was disinterested in food before and now, I truly look forward to my meals.

I'd like to hear from others with Sjogrin's Syndrome - what have you tried and what has worked?
I do not have the disorder that you mention. However, I can tell you that many, many diseases would benefit from the diet you describe. In fact, if you could reduce your intake of cooked foods in favor of raw you would find an even bigger improvement.

Glad to hear that you are using your diet to improve the quality of your life.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,274 times
Dear lindoreen,

I was recently diagnosed with sjorgrens on my 41st birthday. I have been taking dairy and meat out of my diet and eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables to prevent leaky gut. I have seen some improvement with my joint pain but not with my diagnosed anemia. Can you tell me more about the Isagenics program?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,951 times
I am on Plaquenil, but it causes sore throat, sinus and ears, as well as Vertigo. I am up half the night with coughing, and cannot handle it anymore. Are there other drugs out there? These posts sure make a lot of sense! I have had the fog, cold feet, and memory troubles too. Feel like it is not all "in my head."

Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 19,099 times
Thank you so much for this site. My very good friend and love of my life has Sjogren's and that is what brought me here. I am amazed at what I read. My youngest son has MS and has a gluten free diet, no fried foods, real butter, caged free eggs. He spends hours in the grocery store shopping because he reads all the labels. Now I know that Pitch and my son need to be on the same diet
Thank you,
Sandesha

Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 19,099 times
Has anyone found or created recipes for no grain foods? I have a gluten free book because my son has MS, however there are many that include corn or rice. My boyfriend has Sjogren's and I've convinced him to change his diet with the hopes the change will help him as much as it has helped my son.
Sandesha

Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 9,299 times
A very quick note that my 'dry mouth' started after taking a drug called 'Omeprezole', prescribed for Oesophagus Reflux. This caused my already problematic salivary glands to totally seize up and swell, to the point that the surgeon I was referred to insisted I had Lymphoma! I was convinced it was the drug, so refused further biopsies when the first one came back 'inconclusive'. Gradually my dry mouth problem was joined by 'dry-eye', then with dry skin (I've aged 10 years in the last 2), aching hips after sitting for a while, all of which made me wonder if I were ageing too fast and was unlikely to live to 'old bones'. The final insult was being unable to make love with my husband because of dryness 'down there'. It left me wondering what else was drying up within my body! Reading your blog has been a revelation to me, and I just want to thank you so much. Knowing the problem has helped enormously even if it doesn't actually solve it. My point in writing is to warn people about drugs they are given by well-meaning doctors. It may be that the Oesophagus problem was the start of 'Sjogrens Syndrome', in which case I owe the doctor an apology. But I wish so much that I had known about this before I took the drug.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 18,057 times
Eliminated grains, alcohol (drank a glass of wine once a week) and caffeine from my diet-
used to eat oatmeal faithfully every day, brown rice on a regular basis...is there a chance my cholesterol might elevate?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 18,057 times
Is there any connection with Sjogren's and RA as to how we eat and sleep and the way food is metabolized?
I know I'm guilty when it comes to getting home from work, eating a big dinner,
new diet or not, and sitting for a few hours in front of the TV...is it better that we
go out for a walk after dinner, and as far as sleeping, not curling up while we sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss