Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM

22 posts, read 371,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Willis View Post
Myfanwy I apologise for gate crashing your thread but I am unable to find my way around. I google Sjogren's and came to this site but have come to a full stop. If anyone is reading and can redirect me I would be very grateful.

I am very newly diagnosed and am totally ignorant.

What I was wanting to know about is mainly my hair and nails. My hair is so dry I have to wash it every second day (even though my hairdresser says it doesn't need it and I am drying it out.) It is so unbearably itchy and dry the water seems to help.

With my nails they split across but way up on the nail bed. I have just been thinking maybe this is also part of the problem.

Hi Ann: Read my new post that specifies my diet that I follow - my hair and nails are better and stronger for following my diet. I recommend the book Going Against the Grain by Melissa Diane Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 39,669 times
Hi Myfanwy,

I have had mild sjogren's syndrome symptoms for many years. I have also had stomach problems for all my life. I finally decided to try a gluten free diet. After eliminating wheat and eventually corn, virtually all my stomach problems were gone. I am soo anxious to try being grain free. I have great hopes it will help my sjogren's symptoms.

jen9082

Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 56,393 times
I have sjogren and celiac. My diet gluten free of 5 month , I take steroid on reumatologist. My pain ( jont in hand ) is very big. Ja no eat No wheat, no rice, no corn, nothing - nada!. I eat potato, carrot, broccoli, fish, turkey.

1) When you have celiac , your sjogren is secondary sjogren.

2) When you not have celiac, your sjogren is primary sjogren

I have secondary sjogren because i have celiac.
My ANA is negative, hipergammglubime too

16march.2009
p/ transglutaminazie EMA IGA - 66 ( 0-8 )
p/ endomysium TGA IGA - 529 ( 0-8 )

3.april.2009
p/ transglutaminaze TGA IGA - 9 ( 0-8 )

16.april.2009
p/ transglutaminaze TGA IGA - 6 ( 0-8 )
p/ endomysium EMA IGA - 143 ( 0-8 )

To day my antibody are near zero.

my questions:
1)When i have better?
2) Do you have celiac?

Please my email :
chojny997@wp.pl

Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 19,823 times
I have found that eating anything with Aspartame in it will trigger a 3 day flare up. Has anyone else experienced this? My rheumatologist doesn't believe me. However, I can drink one can of diet soda and suffer for 3 days afterward.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 281,070 times
Hi all, I have been gluten-free for a while now and think it helps. I am not celiac but do carry the gene for it. Wheat makes my eyes itchy, sneezing and bloating. I found nuts of any kind made symptoms worst (itchy and diarrhea) and the joint pain is a lot worst eating potato. I suppose we all react differently. But what has definitely helped me are 'cold water' salmon oil capsules. They calm the intestines.
What I can't seem to overcome is the dry and itchy scalp. Any suggestions. I have tried hemp shampoo, dry skin lotion etc but the scaling and itch always comes back. help!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 56,393 times
Link

Sjogren's Syndrome Forum: Foods that exacerbate SS? - DailyStrength

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 39,669 times
Hi..The grain free diet is working well for me. It makes a huge difference as does the garlic and fish oil I am taking. I also notice that when I limit other carbs--especially sugar--that helps tremendously. Mostly, I am eating meat and vegetables. Also, I really have to make sure to get to bed early. Thanks for putting the idea out there about the grain free diet. I REALLY appreciate it.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 18,744 times
Hi there
You did not mention any legumes, are they bad for Sjogren's?
Nina

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 18,692 times
I am new to this forum but have found these posts very helpful. I am currently seeking diagnosis confirmation from the Cleveland Clinic for a diagnosis of Primary SS. I DO NOT suffer at all from dry eyes or dry mouth at this time but tests indicate positive for this. My main problem is MUSCLE AND JOING PAIN and stiffness to the point where I cannot participate in hardly any of the physical activities I used to enjoy regularly (biking, hiking, aerobics, spinning). The pain is constant and sometimes so bad that not even NSAID's provide relief. I am constantly fatigued because the muscle pain and cramping in my legs and arms keep me from being able to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.

Does anyone else with diagnosed SS suffer these symptoms as opposed to the dryness issues? I feel like my symptoms are WRONG for this condition, most blogs and articles focus on the eye/mouth issues. Is there any relief for the muscle/joint pain, any diet or supplements that can be followed or used? I feel like I am getting no answers from medical providers, even the Cleveland Clinic has not been as helpful and I had hoped.

I'm not ready to give up on getting back my former lifestyle, please if anyone else has had experiences like mine I welcome any feedback or suggestions. Thank you so much.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 18,638 times
I am sorry about your diagnosis. I was finally diagnosed with Sjogrens about 6 years ago. My biggest issue at the time was a burning tongue. I went to a rheumatologist who confirmed SS. I had muscle and joint pain and was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The Sjogrens and Fibro are causing my muscle and joint pain. I'm taking Lyrica and Plaquenil and 800mg of Ibuprofen 3x a day. I also see a chiropractor 3 times a month and try to get a deep tissue massage 1-2 times a month. I'm not pain free, by any means, but it all helps. I try to take the dog for a walk everyday and get to the gym whenever I can. I am also very tired but the medication helps me sleep so the pain doesn't constantly wake me up. When I went to a new massage therapist recently he asked me when I received the "death sentence". Yikes! That hit home. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss