Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfanwy Swansea View Post
I stumbled upon a diet for my Sjogren's Syndrome and I wanted not only to share it with others but also to invite anyone else with Sjogren's to share what they have done to manage their condition(s).

Since I began my "diet" I feel phenomenally better. The diet is simple, I eat no grains. No wheat, no rice, no corn, nothing - nada! I do eat all manner of fruit, vegetable, dairy and protein. I eliminated caffeine from my diet. I'm not a smoker or a drinker so those aren't a problem. As with all Sjogren's patients, drink plenty of water.

The philosophy behind my findings is like Celiac Disease (your body's reaction to gluten) causes your body to not be able to absorb vitamins and fluids properly and so you get all manner of other problems. I tried gluten free and it helped a bit, but it wasn't enough that's why I went completely grain free. You should also be aware of the hidden grains in condiments and other processed foods.

About two weeks after starting my diet, I began feeling so much better, I sleep better, I drool when I sleep, I don't feel sleepy after I eat, and my eyes aren't itchy!! Who would have thought drooling would be a good thing? More than anything else is my brain fog has cleared. For a while, I thought I was entering into early dementia and now that awful feeling of brain fog is gone!

Whereas before my diet I couldn't eat eggs and dairy because they caused me a lot of upset, now neither is a problem for me. I was disinterested in food before and now, I truly look forward to my meals.

I'd like to hear from others with Sjogrin's Syndrome - what have you tried and what has worked?
Interesting thread. It's wonderful that you've found a solution that helps you. While I don't have Sjogren's, I do have autoimmune issues, dry eyes, and dry mouth, brain fog, and will try a modified version of your diet--just can't give up rice completely because it comes with my favorite food--sushi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM

259 posts, read 797,953 times
Hello!

I just found this thread and read it through completely!!

I recently tested positive for Sjogren's after having dry eyes and blurry vision for years and extreme flareups of skin itches for over a year. I have an appointment next week with a rheumatologist. I have learned a lot in the last hour reading all of this info and am thrilled to have come across it. Thank you all for your input. Myfanwy... you are an angel for starting this thread!!

I will see what this new doctor says about diet. Meanwhile, I have a lot to think about. I know spicy food makes the skin flare as does stress, but I bet there are many other triggers.

Amazingly, it took an oncologist's physician's assistant to ask if I had ever been tested for an auto immune disease when she asked me what was going on with the eyes and skin I had reported on my new patient intake forms! No other doctor had connected those two issues... including two opthamalogists!!! I have read, however, that it takes an average of 7 years to be diagnosed with Sjogren's... so i guess I am lucky it wasn't that long!!

Any new info out there?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,738 times
Default Lost letter a minute ago??? Jud

Why my letter keep running away???

Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,693 times
I was not aware that Sjogren's patients should eat a particular diet; however, I did have an intuitive feeling that the foods I was eating were negatively affecting how I was feeling. I just completed food allergy testing and learned that I am allergic to wheat, corn, brewer's yeast, baker's yeast, milk, chocolate, and pepper. Your post is very enouraging and I look forward to feeling better soon. Thank you for sharing your diet and I will look for a/some book(s) about grains.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napangel14 View Post
I was not aware that Sjogren's patients should eat a particular diet; however, I did have an intuitive feeling that the foods I was eating were negatively affecting how I was feeling. I just completed food allergy testing and learned that I am allergic to wheat, corn, brewer's yeast, baker's yeast, milk, chocolate, and pepper. Your post is very enouraging and I look forward to feeling better soon. Thank you for sharing your diet and I will look for a/some book(s) about grains.
Well, it's not just Sjogren's patients, it's anyone with an autoimmune disorder. So many people have reduced symptoms and flareups when they change their diets.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM
agw

1 posts, read 5,652 times
Going gluten free helped me a great deal. I also use coconut oil for cooking and I take supplements as well. It is very good for you. Vitamin D deficiency is common in auto-immune conditions, and part of my issues, so I take supplements. I also take fish oil. I do believe in diet and lifestyle changes over medication, if at all possible. I'm still waiting for a biopsy to confirm Sjogren's but a salivary gland study points in this direction. (I've already been diagnosed with auto-immune issues effecting my thyroid.) After two years of trying to figure out all the missing pieces to my diagnosis, I may be almost there.I'm not thrilled with all of this but knowledge is power. May everyone here find strength and support in each other. You are not alone in this!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,630 times
I was diagnosed with Sjogren's S as my secondary auto-immune diease in November 2009. After research, prayer and experimentation. I was able to get off meds by diet. My diet is completely grain free (I eat starchy veggies and fruits instead of grains), ounce for ounce, I match consume as much water as I do food, if not more water for foods that are drier such as dried fruit. I do not consume ANY stimulants such as alcohol and caffeinated beverages. I drink one cup of caffeine free herbal tea per day (such as chamomile) and water the rest of the day.

I consume no dairy. I recommend small amounts (no more than 4 ounces per day) of low fat fish (filet of sole and mahi mahi for example), chicken breast, and turkey breast. I get my fats from a few nuts and seeds such as walnuts, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sunflower seeds (no legumes) and fatty sources such as avocado and coconut meat. I also coconut oil and olive oil. I put olive oil in food after it has been cooked as olive oil is sensitive to medium and high heat; coconut oil is good for medium heat and safflower oil is good in high heat.

I also do not consume anything that is fermented, as that process is acidifying. I avoid anything with yeast in it as well. We need some acids in our diets but we get too many.

I eat very little of anything processed, mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. I eat raw, unrefined, or cold-pressed foods as much as possible. The only sweetner added sweetner that I use honey. Sugar cane is a grass and I consume no grasses at all--bear in mind that all grains are grasses. Since I eliminated all grasses from my diet I also don't have seasonal environmental allergies. You can do this gradually. I would recommend getting rid of grains first and increasing your water consumption.

Another thing that I do is to puree about half of the foods that I eat; this adds water to the foods and it makes it easier to digest them, if you also have digestive challenges such as GERD. If they taste watery, add herbs to them, honey or some fruit such as apples.

I feel soooo much better!

In my quest to find dietary solutions to the Sjogren's S I came across Myfanwy's blog and that was a hugh help! I would like to thank you so much! I had been gluten free, but not grain free and you inspired me to try that. It helped so much!!!

JCharm9

Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,624 times
Thank You So much for this infos !

Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,605 times
Am fourty five livrs in the uk diagnosed with sle seven years now. Been through dry eyes. Arthritic pain skin rash (urticarial vasculitis) also had two operation on right index finger for raynauds disease and an op for my voice as I was deeply hoarse. I was aldo going through lots of stress at work and my skin would get red patches and left dark pigmentation also my face would feel like the skin is tightening and my eyes felt weak and always look tired I was not no fashionable party going beauty I was. I was suicidal and avoided mirrors and am a hairdresser. I was having regular attack in my legs very hot and ITCHY! I could not even allow my clothes to touch my skin.i would ran ice cold water to cool it down and go into hospital I was given intravenous allergy medicine corticosteroids not sure of name long time ago. My regular meds are steriods. plaguenil. Adcal D. dispersable asprin.was on mycophenolate which stop the rash and the and the problem in my leg stop as well.overvthe years I developed what doctor said is lung fibrosis had pain in my neck difficulty and tiredness speaking. Was put on six dose of intravenous cyclophospmite which damaged my ovaries hadn't had a period in three years. Was allergic to lots of food but was told by Dr to talk allergy tabs daily. Does help dnt eat nuts as I realise it was affecting my lungs.causing allergy which was the cause of mucus builtup (my diagnosis) was takrn off mycophenolate and was put on zeffic while waiting for another set of cyclophospamite treat ment which I dread. Luckily I ask for mucodyne which help alot I can breath better.i use natural skin lightening

Last edited by dianeeverbless; 05-18-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: errors

Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
[quote=JCharm9;29522567]I was diagnosed with Sjogren's S as my secondary auto-immune diease in November 2009. After research, prayer and experimentation. I was able to get off meds by diet. My diet is completely grain free (I eat starchy veggies and fruits instead of grains), ounce for ounce, I match consume as much water as I do food, if not more water for foods that are drier such as dried fruit. I do not consume ANY stimulants such as alcohol and caffeinated beverages. I drink one cup of caffeine free herbal tea per day (such as chamomile) and water the rest of the day.
[color=#222222]I eat very little of anything processed, mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. I eat raw, unrefined, or cold-pressed foods as much as possible. The only sweetner added sweetner that I use honey. Sugar cane is a grass and I consume no grasses at all--bear in mind that all grains are grasses. Since I eliminated all grasses from my diet I also don't have seasonal environmental allergies. You can do this gradually. I would recommend getting rid of grains first and increasing your water consumption. QUOTE]

I also have an auto-immune disease and major absorption issues and IBS - I have Celiac disease...I eat buckwheat (delicious as hot cereal and more nutritious than oatmeal and not processed), and quinoa - both are seeds and I have no gastro problems with seeds. Have you tried either of these? Quinoa is a complete protein and also highly nutritous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss