Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times

Advertisements

I am a forty-something female. For the past year or so my spouse has been calling me fat. So I joinedWeightwatchers and have been 3 times. So far I have lost about 9 pounds. He keeps offering me the fat food which he is continuing to inhale like crazy and he doesn't gain weight, then he gets offended when I tell him I can't eat junk food anymore. I am 5'3" and I weigh 150, so obviously I have a way to go. I am so p'd off at him, and told him that he needs to get off my back, but he's not. I told him I think he is abusing me but he just says the weight loss is for my own good!! Like I didn't really know I needed to lose weight. I didn't sign up for WW's because of him, it was because a friend and I decided that we wanted to lose weight. Most of my friends have (the girls) have said to give him a kick in the *****, and tell him where to go.

He says my feelings shouldn't be hurt because he has only said it three or four times, and he still thinks I'm really cute---I just need to lose weight. What kind of person does this to their partner? We have been together for 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 10:36 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Do you belong to Weight Watchers online community? If you go to https://www.weightwatchers.com/signup/registration/StepOne.aspx (broken link) it's free and if you signed up for monthly pass e-tools is included and you have the same user name. I am telling you this because I lost over 70lbs with WW and couldn't have done it without the encouragement and support of the 100+lbs to lose board...they are fabulous! So you should check them out...you would get 20 replies to this question there.

Anyway to answer your original question. First of all if he said "Honey you could use to lose a little weight I'm concerned about your health." then that's caring and nice even if you didn't want to hear it. If he said, "Woooah! you're SO fat!"...well then you need to kick him, um, I mean have a serious talk with him about the difference between loving and supporting you and just being emotionally abusive and mean.

As for the giving you stuff you can't have...first of all you know on Weight Watchers you can have anything in moderation...but you need to plan for it. So explain to him that you have planned your foods out and although you think it's very nice of him to offer things to you that is distracts you from what you have planned to eat and prefer he stopped doing it for that reason. If you say it's because he's tempting you or you can't have it you will set yourself up for an out of control moment in eating or an out of control argument with your husband. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
My guy wouldn't dare do that to me. Tell him you need his support or tell him to shut up. if he really loves you and cares for you, he will support you and quit acting like a total idiot.

Sparkpeople is also a free site, always free, it has all the tools one needs to lose weight, and tons of great people. Check it out sometime. Its an amazing site for free.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
You can tell your husband if he continues to call you fat, you'll end up like me: 280 lbs and 5'5''. My entire life my family members called me fat to "inspire" me to lose weight. That's a load of crap.

My husband is awesome though and he's very supportive. We've both started working out together and instead of calling it "losing weight and going on a diet" we say "to lead a healthier lifestyle". Seems to be working!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:00 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
CONGRATULATIONS on loosing 9 lbs!

Honestly, well done and keep up the good work. You should be feeling like a million bucks, and for every pound you lose add another million!

Stay focused and enjoy what you're doing. As long as you believe in yourself it'll work. Don't let your husband's negativity get you down. Flat out tell him that you don't appreciate his unkind words and it will not deter you. What you need is his support and love ... then go for a walk and let it all out!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Flat out tell him that you don't appreciate his unkind words and it will not deter you. What you need is his support and love ... then go for a walk and let it all out!
and after your walk join us on the daily exercise thread. We have a lot of fun and it really is a good motivation.

congrats on the 9 pounds. I have often thought about WW but I am such a pickey eater they would throw me out for not eating veggies.
I just need to stop with the sweets and snacking .

karla

Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I simply would not allow my husband to talk to me like that - there would be h*ll to pay!! He is sabotaging you in your efforts to lose weight - I say get some counseling for you both - his attitude towards you probably has something to do with your weight gain. I have a darling friend. Her husband often makes derogatory statements to her about her appearance and actions - and he is quite controlling - she once told me that the only thing that she had control of in her life was what she ate - she now weighs 300 lbs!!

Congrats on the weight loss - keep up the good work!

Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
My first husband used to call me fat. I was pretty thin when we started dating. I rode 8-10 horses a day, 6 days a week. Then I had a back injury. I gained weight so fast it was scary. Ever the sensitive one, he said things like "Wow! Look how big your thighs have gotten!"

One of several reasons why he is my EX husband.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
He keeps offering me the fat food which he is continuing to inhale like crazy and he doesn't gain weight, then he gets offended when I tell him I can't eat junk food anymore.

He says my feelings shouldn't be hurt because he has only said it three or four times, and he still thinks I'm really cute---I just need to lose weight. What kind of person does this to their partner? We have been together for 6 years.
Sounds to me like he's got control issues...he tells you you're fat, tries to feed you junk food, and chows it himself?? That makes no sense at all, unless of course, he wants to keep you chunky out of fear other men may treat you kindly if you lose some.. And how kind of him to tell you you're cute and fat in the same breath...

My vote is don't count on him for support, do what you gotta do for YOU. Too many folks alter their behavior to make their hubby / wife / whatever happy when the bottom line sometimes is you couldn't make your partner happy if you tickled him in the a$$ with a feather. Trust me, my ex is one of these, she's still miserable after 12 years of divorce...

Do it for YOU!!

I just had another thought...if you're feeling testy someday when he is taking a shot, just look at him and say "I may be fat, but you're ugly and I can always lose weight..."

Last edited by Delaneyland; 05-05-2007 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2007, 01:43 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I am a forty-something female. For the past year or so my spouse has been calling me fat. So I joinedWeightwatchers and have been 3 times. So far I have lost about 9 pounds. He keeps offering me the fat food which he is continuing to inhale like crazy and he doesn't gain weight, then he gets offended when I tell him I can't eat junk food anymore. I am 5'3" and I weigh 150, so obviously I have a way to go. I am so p'd off at him, and told him that he needs to get off my back, but he's not. I told him I think he is abusing me but he just says the weight loss is for my own good!! Like I didn't really know I needed to lose weight. I didn't sign up for WW's because of him, it was because a friend and I decided that we wanted to lose weight. Most of my friends have (the girls) have said to give him a kick in the *****, and tell him where to go.

You know, even if he isn't overweight, that junk food is still bad for his health. You could always mention that next time he's dangling some cheese fries under your nose. Just knowing the amount of saturated fat in some foods is enough to-well, it can be a real eye opening experience finding that stuff out. I have also heard that the movie 'Supersize me" is rather enlightening! Ask him, if you were an alcoholic and quit drinking, would he do that then, too? Oh, just one-it won't kill you?! Congratulations, too, by the way-9 pounds is a noticeable difference, and you should feel proud! (btw, I don't know if his actions are abuse but they are cruel)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss