Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times

Advertisements

My 8 year old Bichon has regularly ridden with me to go pick up the kids from school. I go about 2:15 but when DH goes he likes to go 2:00. DH travels alot but when he's here he usually does the car errands.

Lucy the Bichon knows exactly what time each of us goes and will find DH if he is home at the proper time, or if it's only me she will come to me at the proper time. What is up with that? Sometimes I nap in the afternoon and if not for Lucy waking me up I would not get to school on time.

We once had a dog who I let out every evening for her "9 o'clock good girl". She knew exactly when it was 9 o'clock and would always get excited before anybody got up to put her out. And the funny thing is that both these dogs took into consideration daylilght savings time and never were an hour early or late.

So can dogs tell time or do they read our minds? or do they have internal clocks? Anybody else have a time telling dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Absolutely! I don't know if they can "tell" time, but they definitely know what time it is... to the second! At least mine does.

I take Artie for our last walk of the night at 8.30pm. That time always comes while we're cuddled up watching TV. But whether we've been watching TV for three hours, or whether Artie was just in the backyard 15 minutes before, he jumps off of "our" couch at exactly 8.30 and looks at me with the "don't you know what time it is?" face. Even if he was JUST out! It's truly bizarre and makes me laugh EVERY time.

If I needed an alarm clock (I don't), at least I know that I have a furry one right next to me.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
My Springer pup discovered that the bunnies come out to play in the backyard after midnight. He's been waking me up to go outside now between 12:30 and 1am, not to potty, but to hunt wabbits!

edited to add: Yes, he knows mealtime too but I thought the rabbit thing a bit odd as it was not related to the clock in his tummy.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-04-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM

48,159 posts, read 22,022,438 times
My dogs will always come find me when its time for supper.....now they eat...."after Judge Judy" because that is the usual routine.....they sit patiently while the show is on.....but as its signing off they get excited "Judge Judy is over". On the week ends they still come find me at 4 PM for supper....I go along with it and tell them......"you're right....JJ is over!" Then its chow time.

They can also hear and descern our car engine...because when my DP is coming home.....before he pulls into view....they get up and run to the door to greet him.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,725 times
I think so...Sydney is the same way..he wakes up literally a minute before our coffeemaker starts (its on a timer..turns on at 6:00 a.m. every morning). But at 5:59 he runs over to my side of the bed and puts only his front paws on the bed and nudges me/ paws me until I pull him onto the bed..then we lay there for a few minutes and then about 5 minutes later, he jumps off the bed and whines until I get up to take him out..its clockwork. We tried setting our coffeemaker to 6:30 a.m. to see if he'd sleep in a little later since I don't have to get up until 6:30 but nope, 5:59 he was at my side of the bed. He also likes to wait in his crate in our bedroom when my bf gets home from work..normally he gets home at 4 p.m. and Sydney is sitting in his crate with his Swampy (stuffed lizard/monster toy) wagging his tail waiting for him..well last week I got to leave really early on Friday (I normally get home at 5:30 but got home by around 3:30) well Sydney's facial expression was so priceless cuz he looked up shocked to see someone home..he grabbed his swampy and ran in the crate and waited for me to come in the bedroom then ran out and greeted me

P.S.- Dawn, I wish I could wake up without an alarm clock...Sydney is my alarm clock though..although I do also set my phone on the rare occasion that he oversleeps

Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Yes ... we had Bloodhound that wanted to eat every day at 1:30. Don't know why.... but every day of the week we all knew when it was 1:30.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Yes they can, growing up our dog would wait for my father to come home from work.

She was like a statue, she knew what time he was due home and would sit there and wait for him.

Like clockwork she would head towards the front door and sit in the living room in the same spot.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM

175 posts, read 750,644 times
Many animals know when feeding time is btw. I run a horse farm. Horses will be at the gate pawing if you are late with their dinner. However, this is very bad for horses. Horses will work them selves into such a fuss they will give themselves ulcers, not to mention tear down gates, kick holes in their stalls, fight, ect.

My horses get fed anywhere from 3-10 oclock at night, this keeps them guessing. it also makes them very easy to catch. They don't know if I'm getting them to ride, feed, to take to the vet.

I will tell you another thing. I teach riding lessons and they also know when an hour is up. They will start getting stuck by the gate!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
I suspect that our dogs can tell time but, evidently without vocal cords they won't tell me what time it is so I don't really see what the benefit it is.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM

159 posts, read 558,991 times
Just like us humans, they have an internal clock, and they're also very savvy to patterns & subliminal clues given off by nature & us humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs