Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times

Advertisements

Sending positive thoughts your way, sounds like you've given him a wonderful life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
((((Hugs)))))

I am sorry for your pain.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
My heart knows you both are right about that.

He'd had health issues earlier this year from which he recovered, and we made a bucket list for him for the summer - he went camping in the tall pines, on a fishing trip, to the river, to the beach, and pretty much made a swing by every place he'd ever liked to visit to see them one last time. To our horror, he added eating a real bucket of his former favorite "road trip with dad" food, an entire seven piece bucket of KFC which dh had left unattended, but out of reach (guess not for a gsp) when my dh left him alone in the truck to get something out of the back. Guess our boy figured we'd left the KFC bucket off the bucket list by mistake.

When things declined a month ago, I told dh that I was going to have a reverse Irish wake for him - so every day, we remembered something cool or funny that he'd done over the years while we petted him and hung out. And did things that you can't do after a wake, like jeep rides several times a week here on the ranch to see a favorite bird or sniffing spot, a ride to a park in town, a ride down to the nearby General Store where he was petted, wished well and given his favorite biscuits for free by the people there. Yes, we even took him on a cheeseburger run like in the old days.

I'll keep remembering that it isn't as much about the moment they leave us, as it is about all the other moments that we all are lucky enough to share with our best friends.
**I** remember the KFC story from when you posted it a few months back.... made me smile then and made me smile today.......

warm, comforting ((((HUGS)))) to you and dh in this difficult time......

Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Big hugs to you . I enjoyed reading about all you have done with him as I did that last year with Dash. Please know we are all here for any support you may need as I think most of us have been through this before and know the hurt. I am cring with you

Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
Bad.

Spleen is enlarged; first thought either a tumor or an ulcer. Took a leg xray and believe it may be bone cancer; dh is in with vet now who mentioned aspirating, but I don't want to do that if it is too painful.

While I take a last moment to decide whether to put him down there or bring him back home and have the vet come to the house to do it. If they confirm it, then I don't want him to hurt another minute. I have to protect my boy one more time, even though I can't protect my heart from breaking.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
and thank you all for your kindness. You don't know how much it means right now.

My dh is grief stricken, so I have to be the one to think of any unanswered questions for him to ask, and help with the decision. But once I put down the phone, I am just breaking to pieces here at home. I have done this for dogs many times over my decades, but it never, ever, ever hurts less.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,388 times
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! It sounds like you gave your boy quite an amazing life and if its his time, than I hope he goes peacefully *hugs*

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
OH my, I know you are devastated please I know it is only through cyber space but please accept my heartfelt hugs ((((hugs))). I know this is awful for you and like Dashdog said we have all been through this ourselves and we all know how heartbreaking it can be. Bless you for not wanting your baby to suffer to me that is the ultimate act of kindness and love that a fur baby mom and pop can give, freedom from the pain. My heart is just breaking for you at this moment.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
OH my, I know you are devastated please I know it is only through cyber space but please accept my heartfelt hugs ((((hugs))). I know this is awful for you and like Dashdog said we have all been through this ourselves and we all know how heartbreaking it can be. Bless you for not wanting your baby to suffer to me that is the ultimate act of kindness and love that a fur baby mom and pop can give, freedom from the pain. My heart is just breaking for you at this moment.
Well said Took. I'm sorry that you have to go thru this sugar. The three of you are in my thoughts.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Holding you all close......you really are a testement to the attatchemts we form with our dog family members.....Love is the magic that holds the universe together....and it doesnt die. Letting go of the physical presence...is so hard for us.....and your DH must be so distraught....your decisions and attitude bespeak tremendous love and wisdom.....I admire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs