Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
This is very interesting and luckily I searched before making a thread..
One of my chiweenies coughs in the morning and whenever she plays hard with her sister. We adopted them from a rescue a couple months ago and the rescue said she had kennel cough. We finished the medicine they gave us, but the cough never went away. I then took her to our regular vet and she gave her an antibiotic and some cough medicine, but this also didn't get rid of it. It's now not much of an issue and only happens when she first wakes up or gets excited, but it bothers me. She's definitly not as hyper as her sister and my chow picks on her because she is weaker than the other dogs.
I'm just glad it appears to just be something she has and can live with because I don't think her sister could go on without her. They're never more than a couple feet away from eachother

I'm trying to get on the same page.
I was trying to figure out what you meant by you did research before you posted and you found out it appears to be something she has and can live with.
May I ask, what did you find out that she has?

My dog also functions normally with the meds prescribed for her condition.
My vet informed me that COPD in dogs is not something that goes away and most can and do live happy productive lives.

**I'd like to also add to anyone reading this...member and non-members.
I was only giving out my dogs case scenario.
Don't go by what you read online have your vet make a proper diagnosis.
I am concerned because I have received a couple emails in regards to my dogs condition and all I can say to those people is take your dog to the vet and have your vet properly diagnose them.
I can't help with anything else besides that advice. Thank you!

And for the record none of the emails have been from anyone who has posted in this thread.**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I didn't find out what she has, but I now have an idea to ask the vet about.. that obviously wasn't very clear in my post.

Also, my research before posting was using the search button to find a thread that handled what I needed before making a thread that had been made a thousand times before. I belong to quite a few forums and wish more people would take that advice.

Hopefully that clears up my post a little more and thanks for giving me something to look into.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I didn't find out what she has, but I now have an idea to ask the vet about.. that obviously wasn't very clear in my post.

Also, my research before posting was using the search button to find a thread that handled what I needed before making a thread that had been made a thousand times before. I belong to quite a few forums and wish more people would take that advice.

Hopefully that clears up my post a little more and thanks for giving me something to look into.

You're welcome!...and I understand now...thank you for responding back...
I totally agree about the search button too...it would cut down on the
repeat threads that are beat to death over the same topic...not this BB
in particular, just in general.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:44 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
very true. maybe they could hire a repeat thread killer in every forum..

glad you liked the picture of my new babies too I have to find the charger for my battery so I can get some new ones. They look much more healthy now, but nothing compares to real life. The people at the rescue named them Socks and Noodles and it's a perfect fit. Socks is the one with all white paws and Noodles is completely insane. It's impossible to get mad at her, even though she is pretty much 100% behind any mischief in the house... They're both really good at flashing the cute face whenever they know they did something..

Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 30,375 times
this is an older thread but came up near the top in a google search for "dog hacking cough" - hope it's ok to reply a year later!

I also have a Sheltie (11 yrs) who has a hacking cough after laying on her back for a tummy rub. Some time ago I took her to the vet and they treated her for kennel cough about a year ago because she'd also hack in the mornings. Our other dog never developed anything - which puzzled me since it is contagious. Over the last couple of days she is back to hacking in the mornings and is panting. I'll be making a vet appointment and will reply back when I know more. I really don't think it's kennel cough.

Last edited by suewh; 01-01-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 29,483 times
Like "Suewh" post, I am sorry to respond so late, and while I am NOT a vet, I just want to relay my own personal situation that occurred last night. I also don't want to alarm anyone, but our 12 year old Sheltie passed away last night from what appears to be a similar situation.

She had been up and active all evening - taking her last "pottie break" at around 9:30 PM, followed by her traditional "treat" (hard dog biscuit). For over a year, she too had a hacking, dry type of cough, often to the point of us wondering if the was about to, or had already thrown up. Most times not - but every once in a while a bit of wet yellow/brown vomit. Tummy rubs often brought on a bout of coughs. This spring at her annual vet visit, the Dr. advised that Shelties, along with other small but longer bodied dogs may have a weakening of the esophagus which (usually due to age) often will collapse and induce the hacking cough. He advised surgery was a possibility, but not an assurance it would be 100% effective.

Back to last night - about 20 minutes after she came in, she started to pant heavily, and had very sever (and quite loud) hacking cough. Laying next to me on the computer room floor, she lost control of her bowels, but feces were not runny - looking "normal" for her. She continued to walk around the room as I cleaned up, still hacking, then went and sat in the door to our bathroom. It was there she also urinated - neither of which she had done since we had her - unless we forgot to pay attention to "pottie break" times. I tried to get her to walk upstairs, but she could hardly stand. Tongue was not it's bright pink color, but also not purple (lack of oxygen) yet she continued to pant for breath.

I called local 24 hour emergency vet clinic (about 25 minutes away), put blankets down on back seat of truck and lifted her onto the seat. By the time we reached the clinic, she had vomited bloody discharge, and was not moving. Carried her in to vet and they quickly took her into E.R. room - followed shortly by a question if wanted them to try to resuscitate her. She was almost 13 years old, and so we declined. Shortly after we were allowed a last visit, and soon her ashes will join her step brother (a cat), We declined an autopsy, but this new vet indicated a probably congestive heart failure for our little Sheltie.

We know for sure it wasn't kennel cough, as she is treated yearly for it, since we often board her if gone for a period of time - but it's been over 3 years since her last boarding, plus she was an "inside" dog.

Again - not to alarm, but from the time she started her violent coughing, it was less than an 1 hour and she had died. Time is of essence, and iiI would recommend you have your Sheltie checked by a good physician. Fortunately, we live near the University of Minnesota and their vet students also serve internship in the local areas around Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I guess, we have the photos of her time with us, and since she was an animal shelter "find" as an adult female, we feel great to know she had a great home with us for the last 9-10 years.

Good luck with your Sheltie - and hope it doesn't turn out to be as serious as it was for us.

Last edited by Squareman; 08-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
A dry hacking cough is usually a sign of congestive heart failure, in people as well as animals. I'm sorry for your loss, Squareman. I had a cat that died in my arms and it was quite traumatic for me - I did get a necropsy and it was cardiomyopathy, probably vrom a virus before I adopted him.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 58,560 times
Default any ansures

[quote=SunnyKayak;1029875]Hi my precious sheltie every so often does a dry hacking cough and I have no clue why she does this. It not a constant cough almost like when a cat gets a furball in its mouth.
Sometimes when she laying upside down she does it or when we are playing tag. I know I need to get her to vet soon it doesnt seem alarming just very concerning any suggestions what it is a sign of?[/quot

Did you fine out anything about your dog? My dog has the same prouble he eats fine, but when he sleeping he wakes up coughing gagging, he dose this a lot. Hope your dog is fine i'm still looking for a ansure.
have a nice day ptlptl

Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 58,560 times
Did you fine out anything about your dog? My dog has the same prouble. He eats fine, but when he sleeping he wakes up coughing gagging, he dose this a lot. Hope your dog is fine i'm still looking for a ansure.
have a nice day ptlptl

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Friends...if your dog is coughing...please, take them to the vet. Kennel cough is very contagious but if the vet prescribes a steriod, it should stop within 24 hours....THat is the problem we had....after 2 days and no changes, We took him back to the vet and ordered blood tests and an x-ray of his chest. They then found that he had congestive heart failure. Bear (our male cocker spaniel) was diagnosed close to two years ago, the coughing is more controlled but he still has problems, and it will never get better. We are trying to extend the quality of his life, he still thinks he's a puppy, his body is just failing him. He still runs around like a mad man, thinks someday he will catch that mailman and eats/drinks like he always has. We will put him down when he needs us to do it, its already all planned for him and will done at home where is comfortable, but we dont see the need for that, he is just a little older, slower and greyer...but he's got good times still in store! He is approx. 14 years old (adopted by us over 11 years ago). He is a great dog, and deserves the best we can do for him.

In a final note I will add that I am amazed how many people I run into who have dogs that do this and people just say "I dont know what it is, he just does that every once in awhile". Bears medication is NOT cheap, nor are the doctors appointments and follow up xrays to check on his heart, but we would rather be informed as much as possible to help HIM. Just imagine if you coughed like that all the time, the annoyance, the loss of sleep, the pain...I cant even deal with a runny nose for myself. So please, if your dog is doing this, ask for an xray--get an inside look what's going on. I know Bear is glad we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs