Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,388 times

Advertisements

I don't think the OP mentioned anything about financial struggle..she even offered to pay someone to take him as well as pay for his supplies..so why not find a new apartment where the dog is allowed? I feel for those who are struggling in this economy and sympathize but this does not seem to be the case here...unless I missed something? I do give you props for at least trying and not just dumping your dog at a shelter but a 16 year old dog will have a very hard time adjusting to a new environment. Check out all your local rescues..ask family members, friends, etc. I wish you the best but I agree with others..your best option would be to find a new place where you can have the dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 AM

175 posts, read 750,417 times
Has anyone considered the Op might be a college student? I mean the dog lived at the OP's mother's home for the past 16 years. If this is the case and the OP is living in a dorm or something then how do you suggest she move exactly?

I would contact a rescue group and offer to pay to support the dog if they can find someone to foster it. Contact lots and lots of rescue groups. Or post an ad that you are looking for a foster home for your dog. That's how foster homes for rescue groups work too. The rescue pays for the dogs care and the foster parent takes care of the dog until a family can be found.

Hope this helps

Sorry for the situation that you are in

PS maybe I'm manipulative, but so be it! If you do end up having to put the dog to sleep, momma would be going with me! She would be right there holding my hand while I petted that pup's head until the end. I would be crying so much she would have to drive home anyway. If your mom can let you go through with that then...

Last edited by lmabernathy; 01-14-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Um, nope, OP is a female, and old enough to have a high-school aged kid. Check the profile and other posts. She also seems to spend a lot of time worrying about men & relationships, and perhaps not enough time worrying about her dog. Just sayin'.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Um, nope, OP is a female, and old enough to have a high-school aged kid. Check the profile and other posts. She also seems to spend a lot of time worrying about men & relationships, and perhaps not enough time worrying about her dog. Just sayin'.
That's probably why her mother isn't willing to take the dog.

The mother probably expected the OP to be giving the dog the baths, etc., while the dog lived with her, but the OP probably left all dog responsibilities on her mother.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I do get tired of the "I would never" group on here in their homes with jobs. Until you are facing poverty and homelessness you don't know what you would do and the horrific choices you might have to make. This economy has made people like me who are responsible dog owners face horrible decisions regarding our beloved pets. The OP was asking for help and all of you start chastising him, instead of offering suggestions and help without the BS.
Years ago, I lost everything due to a divorce. All I ended up w/ was my van and dog. My dog was my first kid, and had always been there for me. I wasn't about to get rid of him. It wasn't easy, and I ended up having to move to another city and share a place w/ someone that accepted my dog. I had to start over w/ a new job in order to keep my dog. I didn't want to move, but I did. I wasn't chastising the OP, but merely offering her a suggestion of finding another place that allowed dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's probably why her mother isn't willing to take the dog.

The mother probably expected the OP to be giving the dog the baths, etc., while the dog lived with her, but the OP probably left all dog responsibilities on her mother.
The OP clearly stated she'd help whoever took in the dog w/ food and care. I'm guessing the mom and OP got into a fight and mom's taking it out on OP by not helping home the dog. I can't see how the mom could help w/ the dog for 16 yrs and not have any feelings for him.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM

77 posts, read 132,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I never understand why people CHOOSE to move to a place that won't allow their pet. Like the other poster said, I'd go homeless before moving into a place that won't let my pets come with me.

If you had kids, would you move to an apartment that doesn't allow kids, and try to give them away? If your elderly father lived with you, would you move to a place that won't allow old people and give Dad up?

It might mean looking around harder, it might mean moving to a neighborhood or building you don't like so much, it might mean paying a pet fee, but why on earth would you move to a place that won't allow your pet?

I would start looking for a place that will accept my dog ASAP, then break the current lease, forfeit the deposit, and move.
I disagree with you. After owning animals for over 50 years and we're down to two pups now, if I had to go someplace that would not take my dog, I would not go homeless. My animal would be placed or in the case of an old dog, euthanized. You do what you can to take care of yourself and if that means your pup cannot go with you, I'm sure you have your reasons and I will not judge you for that.

Good luck. Wish I could help but with two dogs and having to live out the rest of our days, we're not taking anymore animals.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Posted twice. That was odd......

Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stille_nacht1 View Post
I disagree with you. After owning animals for over 50 years and we're down to two pups now, if I had to go someplace that would not take my dog, I would not go homeless. My animal would be placed or in the case of an old dog, euthanized. You do what you can to take care of yourself and if that means your pup cannot go with you, I'm sure you have your reasons and I will not judge you for that.

Good luck. Wish I could help but with two dogs and having to live out the rest of our days, we're not taking anymore animals.
What state doesn't allow you to take your pets?? Or what town for that matter??

Don't tell me that there is NO PLACE at all in your town that allows pet when you rent. I see people all the time with dogs that are banned breeds going to crazy lengths to get a rental WITH their pets.

I've had calls locally from people that can't keep their dog because they're moving and can't take it. Why are you moving? We're having a baby so we need a 2 bedroom apartment. Have you considered a 2 bedroom house? No, we want an apartment because we don't want to mow grass. Have you looked into having someone mow grass for you or looked into a home where you pay the landlord a little extra each month to care for the yard? No, we don't want to pay more and we like apartments. Ok, have you looked into such and such apartment complex; they allow dogs? No, we don't like that neighborhood. We want to stay close so we can walk to our friends house. Do you have a vehicle? Yes, we each have a vehicle. So, if you moved to the other apartment couldn't you just drive to your friends house? Yes, but we don't want to spend more on gas to do that and we like being close so we can walk over.

These are people that want to live in a specific apartment complex because it has a pool or business center or whatever. It has nothing to do with anything else. They want to live there and their family companion is now in the way and needs to go.

Guys, I'm not exagerating. These are conversations I have with people. So when I hear "I'm moving and can't take my dog" I'm very skeptical.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
ive heard all that same stuff too mrs1885...

along with "i cant keep my pet because i had a baby" im not quite sure why this would force you to give your pet up...
i cant keep my old dog because he doesnt get along with my new puppy... *blink blink*
another favorite of mine is "i got this puppy but my landlord doesnt allow pets...hmm ever think to ask first?
theres a million and one excuses out there...
and not one of them is good enough...

ive never known of anyone have to go homeless because of their pet..they may have to pay a pet deposit, or a higher rent, or move to a slightly different area, mabe they cant get into that "perfect" apartment, but its called compromise...if you realy care about your pets you make those compromises...

you take the apartment thats 10 mins further away form work because they allow dogs...
you pay a little extra for a pet deposit...
ect...

there are VERY few cases in which theres not some option other than rehoming/sheltering a pet...

it may not be "perfect" but those that wont make those compromises...well...

Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stille_nacht1 View Post

If you have had animals for 50 years, you are part of the generation that just left their dogs outside all night and day, thought it was okay to never spay and neuter and had at least one litter of unwanted pups if not more, never let them in the house and never took them to the vet unless they had to. Times have changed and I still cannot understand how euthanizing a pet that is not on its deathbed is taken so lightly. The only ones that won't judge this person are those that feel it is okay to abandon an animal that has spent its entire 16 years with them. I really hope some people don't get abandoned by their famlies when they get too old. It's all about Karma. This person has been given options and hopefully they will take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs