Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
And I have higher standards because of the breed I own. That is black and white with me. And why are Vick's dogs being brought into this conversation? Because they were used for dog fighting? What does that have anything to do with human aggression? Because of the situation pit bulls are in at this moment the community can not have one ounce of human aggression. I have seen shelters adopt out pit bulls have bitten. Is that really what the breed and the community need?

It is because of stupid and irresponsible owners who ignore signs is the primary reason why we face BSL.

Why on earth do you think it is okay for another breed to attack a person but when it is a pit bull it becomes national headlines. Put your thinking cap on, the answer is pretty clear.
And I have a more realistic view because I worked with many dogs of many different breeds with bite histories. You are feeding the fire that Bully breeds are killing machines - nope don't buy into that nonsense any more than I bought into it when it was GSDs, Dobermans, Rotties, Chows or what ever breed the media wants to focus on as the latest Boggieman breed. Please stop buying into the hype. Bully breeds are not genetic killers and more than a poodle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM

122 posts, read 200,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
And I have a more realistic view because I worked with many dogs of many different breeds with bite histories. You are feeding the fire that Bully breeds are killing machines - nope don't buy into that nonsense any more than I bought into it when it was GSDs, Dobermans, Rotties, Chows or what ever breed the media wants to focus on as the latest Boggieman breed. Please stop buying into the hype. Bully breeds are not genetic killers and more than a poodle.

I own an APBT and you think I think they are genetic killers? The reason why I have such strict rules about this topic is because the APBT never had the problems it is facing now until so many people started acquring them and breeding them with aggressive breeds. I know people who are personal friends with Louis Colby? Ring a bell? Since you know so much about APBT's you should know who the Colby's are. They have the same feelings I do about pit bulls biting people. Every time I see a headline that states a pit bull attacked someone it infuriates me. It could have been avoided but according to you, there are exceptions. And every time the media has a field day with a pit bull attack it doesn't have severe consequences.

I give a crap how many breeds you work with. Are you yourself an APBT owner? Are you facing BSL?

Every post I have posted on this forum regarding APBT's shows that the breed's history never had HA problems like it does NOW. I have said countless times it is the OWNER and not the DOG. It is up to the OWNER to have a stable dog. A dog that has behavioural problems can not correct itself, it needs help from the owner. Yes, I have a serious problems with APBT's biting people. If you go on a pit bull forum you will see they have the same feelings I do about the subject.

Stop reading between the lines and making things up I didn't say.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I own an APBT and you think I think they are genetic killers? The reason why I have such strict rules about this topic is because the APBT never had the problems it is facing now until so many people started acquring them and breeding them with aggressive breeds. I know people who are personal friends with Louis Colby? Ring a bell? Since you know so much about APBT's you should know who the Colby's are. They have the same feelings I do about pit bulls biting people. Every time I see a headline that states a pit bull attacked someone it infuriates me. It could have been avoided but according to you, there are exceptions. And every time the media has a field day with a pit bull attack it doesn't have severe consequences.

I give a crap how many breeds you work with. Are you yourself an APBT owner? Are you facing BSL?

Every post I have posted on this forum regarding APBT's shows that the breed's history never had HA problems like it does NOW. I have said countless times it is the OWNER and not the DOG. It is up to the OWNER to have a stable dog. A dog that has behavioural problems can not correct itself, it needs help from the owner. Yes, I have a serious problems with APBT's biting people. If you go on a pit bull forum you will see they have the same feelings I do about the subject.

Stop reading between the lines and making things up I didn't say.
Couldn't agree more. The owner needs to correct the behavour not just throw in the towel and have the dog PTS. Bottom line, in your first post you said that if the dog bites it has to be PTS. THAT is what I object to.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM

122 posts, read 200,452 times
We will have to agree to disagree. Because I take this subject so seriously I will not condone just anyone who owns a pit bull to work with the dog if it bites. I know experienced APBT owners who have APBT's that had a history of behavioural problems with humans. The only reason they still have those dogs is because they are experienced owners of the breed. Do I think a novice should have one. HELL NO! Do I think a person that owns an APBT that has HA aggression problems give it up to just anyone or a shelter? HELL NO!

There are so many pit bulls sitting in shelters who have stable temperaments. I don't think and will never think pit bulls who have behavioural problems should be adopted out. I don't think and will never think an amateur should own a pit bull with behavioural problems.

It would be great if these dogs only ended up in responsible and educated hands but that is a far fetched dream of mine.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree. Because I take this subject so seriously I will not condone just anyone who owns a pit bull to work with the dog if it bites. I know experienced APBT owners who have APBT's that had a history of behavioural problems with humans. The only reason they still have those dogs is because they are experienced owners of the breed. Do I think a novice should have one. HELL NO! Do I think a person that owns an APBT that has HA aggression problems give it up to just anyone or a shelter? HELL NO!

There are so many pit bulls sitting in shelters who have stable temperaments. I don't think and will never think pit bulls who have behavioural problems should be adopted out. I don't think and will never think an amateur should own a pit bull with behavioural problems.

It would be great if these dogs only ended up in responsible and educated hands but that is a far fetched dream of mine.

what you are saying applies to ANY dog of ANY breed ... not just pit bulls...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM

You are correct we will have to agree to disagree. As to my background...do I own one? No. Have I trained them, rescued them, done personality assessements on them, written articles about them, been active in the fight against BSL and insurance bias - YES I have. Are they a good dog for everyone? No -Of course not - but then no dog is correct for everyone. Are they over bred and misuderstood - absolutely! Are they trainable with a bite history - again - yes they are. I can't save all of them but I'm also not going to play god and say this one deserves to live and that one deserves to die. I believe in No-kill unless medically necessary.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
what you are saying applies to ANY dog of ANY breed ... not just pit bulls...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I described incidents of my poodle biting me as a child, and my mutt biting a kid several years back. Neither was PTS, nor should they have been, by a long stretch. If my APBT nipped a kid (and she likes kids, but so did those other dogs), she shouldn't deserve that fate either. Just the thought of her nipping a kid makes me queasy because I know she very well could be put down because of her breed. There's a world of difference between a bite like this and a viscious attack. You don't seem to be making that distinction.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
The only thing I have a major problem with is bad owners, because most cases are the results of bad owners moreso than bad dogs.

I was watching this one show where this lady's dogs had attacked someone else's dog. This woman actually had no idea that this case existed. She thought she was being sued by the person who her dogs attacked a few weeks earlier. So her dogs had attacked twice in a short period of time and she didn't know what was going on. Her dogs did get out, but after the first time the owner should definitely be able to control her own animals. She shouldn't be allowed to have those dogs. If they do take the dogs from her, and they go to a shelter, they may be put down if they are aggressive. However, for society as a whole, that's a risk you have to take. You can't have aggressive dogs with negligent owners.

That said, if a dog really is aggressive toward many things, I don't really understand why owners take the risk of having them around. They may be responsible enough to keep their dog from attacking another dog, but it's still a risk. That is a risk that the owner assumes.

That said, if you're out walking your dog, no matter the size, they should be on a leash. Even the best of dogs have selective deafness when they don't want to listen.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I described incidents of my poodle biting me as a child, and my mutt biting a kid several years back. Neither was PTS, nor should they have been, by a long stretch. If my APBT nipped a kid (and she likes kids, but so did those other dogs), she shouldn't deserve that fate either. Just the thought of her nipping a kid makes me queasy because I know she very well could be put down because of her breed. There's a world of difference between a bite like this and a viscious attack. You don't seem to be making that distinction.

and though bailey is a heeler mix, she has a bite record now.... the child's grandfather said over and over again to the AC personnel that it was the child's fault, to no avail.... i've told the story a few times in other threads, so won't go into details again..... the thought of her nipping another kid or adult has ME queasy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs