Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I don't understand how any parent can be heartless enough to place the ownership of a pet over the well being of their child.

Explain that to me............
I'd be happy to explain it to you. No one is saying that the OP should place the dogs' welfare over that of the child. What everyone is saying (and you appear to be missing) is that there are other options that would address the problem and still allow the dogs to remain in the home. If you can't understand the concept that you can love animals and your children then I think you may want to avoid this forum. Please also note that the most common suggestion here is to find another allergist, one that can work through the problem. We do not live in sterile environments and shouldn't live in them. Desensitizing to an allergen is always a better route than avoidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
and again i bring up my previous point, this child is also aparently very allergic to pollen trees ect and will need medication for those allergies...so should the op also keep her child indoors 24/7, put him in a plastic bubble so hes not exposed to trees, dust, pollen ect?

the op and noone thus far has suggested she put the dogs over the child...but instead that there might be other options the op can try FIRST to manage the pet allergy side of things.

if all efforts fail then she should definatly reconsider keeping the dogs BUT i dont think theres any reason for it to be the ONLY option available...

and if it was what then? a plastic bubble or never leave the house to sheild him from his other allergies too!?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
I don't understand how any parent can be heartless enough to place the ownership of a pet over the well being of their child.

Explain that to me............
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm a realistic dog-owner...I know that they are just pets and that my children come first. HOWEVER, I have four children who all love the dogs dearly and rather than just making a snap decision that will bring heartache to them all, I'd like to know all of my options. Please don't be condescending...this is a big enough struggle as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Because for most of us, it's not about ownership. It's about love and the amazing relationships we have with these animals. The OP is obviously trying to do what is best for her child, and that includes looking into options that would allow that child to keep the dogs in his life. She deserves credit for that, not condescension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'd be happy to explain it to you. No one is saying that the OP should place the dogs' welfare over that of the child. What everyone is saying (and you appear to be missing) is that there are other options that would address the problem and still allow the dogs to remain in the home. If you can't understand the concept that you can love animals and your children then I think you may want to avoid this forum. Please also note that the most common suggestion here is to find another allergist, one that can work through the problem. We do not live in sterile environments and shouldn't live in them. Desensitizing to an allergen is always a better route than avoidance.
I used to raise dogs for extra money but when our youngest was diagnosed with a severe allergy to dogs I sold the whole operations and didn't worry about loosing money or what the rest of the family thought since they all wanted what was best for their son/brother.

In our house children were always first with pets being a luxury we couldn't have.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
and again i bring up my previous point, this child is also aparently very allergic to pollen trees ect and will need medication for those allergies...so should the op also keep her child indoors 24/7, put him in a plastic bubble so hes not exposed to trees, dust, pollen ect?

the op and noone thus far has suggested she put the dogs over the child...but instead that there might be other options the op can try FIRST to manage the pet allergy side of things.

if all efforts fail then she should definatly reconsider keeping the dogs BUT i dont think theres any reason for it to be the ONLY option available...

and if it was what then? a plastic bubble or never leave the house to sheild him from his other allergies too!?
<LI class="g knavi">
Top Dog Breeds for People with Allergies

Allergies are associated with the dander produced by the dog and not the dog himself nor the dog hair. Dander is the dry skin that flakes off, ...
www.petplace.com/dogs/top-dog...for...allergies/page1.aspx - Cached - Similar

What if the kid was allergic to peanuts?....

<LI class="g knavi">
Angel Service Dogs - Allergy Alert Dog - Peanut Sniffing Dogs ...

Many families would love to have an Angel Service Dog's Allergy Alert Dog as a companion to help their child gain freedom. For most, the cost is prohibitive ...
www.angelservicedogs.com/ - Cached - Similar

Imagine that? A dog who would prevent the child from eating anything that had a peanut in it? Would the family be as quick to get rid of the dog then? even tho the kid exhibited signs of being allergic to the dog? hmm.

15 Hypoallergenic Dogs and Cats - allergy - Health.com

Is there such a thing as a hypoallergenic dog or cat? Not really. But here are 15 dogs and cats touted—but not proven—to be better for people with ...
www.health.com › Home › Health AZ - Cached - Similar

Sometimes having a pet such as a dog, can be a benefit.
<LI class="g knavi">
Dogs, Cats Reduce Risk Of Allergies In Kids

Aug 29, 2002 ... Similar trends were found in children's positive response to allergies to dogs; it went from 8.6 percent to 3.5 percent to 2.6 percent ...
www.scienceagogo.com/.../20020728214213data_trunc_sys.shtml - Cached - Similar

I second the responses of some of the posters in that BEFORE the family decides to give the dog away that they at least TRY options listed. Speak with the pet's veterinarian as they may be able to help you more than you might think. Thinking like the kid, I would almost curse myself especially if I had grown fond of the dog or cat.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,275 times
Quote:
I used to raise dogs for extra money but when our youngest was diagnosed with a severe allergy to dogs I sold the whole operations and didn't worry about loosing money or what the rest of the family thought since they all wanted what was best for their son/brother.

In our house children were always first with pets being a luxury we couldn't have.
If dogs are nothing more than extra money to you, then you will never understand. You also won't find many (any?) people on this forum who agree with you. Don't waste your time trying to convince anyone that what this parent is doing by seeking alternatives is selfish or wrong.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
LOTS of good suggestions have been posted. LOTS.

I have to agree with the posters that suggested a new allergist! You need one that will work WITH you. An allergist that thinks pets are property that can easily be tossed, isn't one I would see twice!

I've been in your shoes, only it involved my young son being severely allergic to cats. (We had two at the time.) An allergy "problem" would cause an asthma attack.

I did many of the cleaning suggestions posted, and did NOT get rid of our furkid family members. My son is now 24 years old and is doing just fine. He is over 6 foot tall. The use of inhalers, breathing machine, and allergy meds did not stunt his growth.

My son is also allergic to Bermuda grass. The whites of his eyes swelled over. (THAT was scary!) Bermuda grass is the norm where we live. Was I to keep him locked in his bedroom all his life? No. We just didn't assign him the chore of mowing. Also, he played sports in school...all on Bermuda grass. Since we knew grass was a trigger, we could medicate accordingly.

Once we knew the "triggers" (due to allergy tests), we knew how to live WITH allergies and asthma. My son never once had an asthma attack after we educated ourselves.

IMHO Where there is a will, there is a way.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,720 times
I don't have much to offer by way of advice, except to say our grandson appeared to have an allergic reaction to something. The first thing the GP asked was whether he comes into contact with pets and was advised to stay away from pets.

Further tests revealed he didn't have an allergy to pets.

In the UK there are three questions a GP asks before even looking at you: -

1. Do you smoke
2. Do you drink alcohol
3. Do you have any pets

No kidding they are knackered if you answer no to all three.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 56,717 times
Hey there, havent read all the replies, but thought I would add:

When I found out I was allergic to my 2 cats the docter was telling me to get rid of them. After I said there was no way I'm doing that, he said that a big improvement would be, as some others have mentioned, keep them out of the bedroom, and to use a HEPA air filter for when I sleep (as the particles in the rest of the house would still come through the central air vents. By the way I think you can get a filter for the vent covers in each room if you need). I was told that keeping this "safe" place to sleep in every night would help greatly, that would give my body some time to recover each night.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:

Quite frankly - I happy you no longer have dogs to sell as a sideline. I would think the dogs are better off too.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
If dogs are nothing more than extra money to you, then you will never understand. You also won't find many (any?) people on this forum who agree with you. Don't waste your time trying to convince anyone that what this parent is doing by seeking alternatives is selfish or wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Quite frankly - I happy you no longer have dogs to sell as a sideline. I would think the dogs are better off too.
Quite frankly I care not one fig for what you say since I related MY experience that was best for MY family not anyone else's.

If the OP chooses to keep the dog in spite of their child's allergies then so be it but I sure as hell would put MY kid first which is what I did.

I love my children enough to make easy choices like this......bye,bye dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs