Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times

Advertisements

OK.. I have an ahole for a neighbor, in the 2 years I have lived here this is the only time he said anything to me.
He was mowing his grass and I was standing on my deck in my backyard watching the dogs play, when they heard/saw him and started barking at the chain link fence. He started yelling at them and was walking toward my yard with something in his hand when he saw me, at that point he started screaming at me threatened to call the police because the dogs barked at him. "I am tired of your dogs barking at me and my kids. There is a noise ordinance"..
Now, my dogs go out only a couple of times a day to do their thing.. and sometimes they play and run around my fenced yard. This man was suspected of poisoning the Yorkie who lived here before me and another dog. The Yorkie got out of the fence and the other dog will walk down our street and then back to his house. I have heard him tell his young boys he didn't care if they killed the dog.

I let the dogs out this afternoon and they saw his boys playing in their yard, of course, they barked, I then saw the oldest (13 yo) go over and kick at his fence (yes he has a his own chain link fence as do I)
I did go to the police station and they said I could file an harassment charge on him if he threatened me, but to be honest I couldn't hear everything he was saying because of the lawnmower.
I just wish I had known about him before I bought this house. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:42 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
I would invest in a privacy fence. Dogs will often not bark at what they don't see.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,356 times
I'd try to be a little more understanding.

Nobody likes to be snarled and barked at when they're trying to relax in their back yard. Can't you discipline your dogs not to bark at your neighbor? Or keep them inside when your neighbor is outside? Or maybe invite your neighbors over to make friends with your dogs?

I mean, you'd be pissed if those kids were constantly at the fence taunting your dogs into a frenzy. Or if they set off fireworks when your dogs were outside and it gave the dogs a nervous complex. Those kids might really be intimidated by your dogs.

I'd suggest you go over and start by apologizing for your dogs. Tell them you would like to work something out so they can enjoy their back yard in peace and quiet and you can let your dogs out to play without bothering anyone.

Of course, if you're not man enough to apologize, or if they're not big enough to accept it and try to be reasonable, you can continue to feud with your neighbors until somebody gets bit, a dog gets killed, and/or the police have to be brought into it.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,563 times
Dogs are allowed to bark, just not all night long...he can call the cops or actually code enforcement and they will do nothing. You need to call them yourself to get the specifics on the ordnances and then, nicely tell him what the laws are. Likely he is full of it.
MBG

Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
OK.. I have an ahole for a neighbor, in the 2 years I have lived here this is the only time he said anything to me.
He was mowing his grass and I was standing on my deck in my backyard watching the dogs play, when they heard/saw him and started barking at the chain link fence. He started yelling at them and was walking toward my yard with something in his hand when he saw me, at that point he started screaming at me threatened to call the police because the dogs barked at him. "I am tired of your dogs barking at me and my kids. There is a noise ordinance"..
Now, my dogs go out only a couple of times a day to do their thing.. and sometimes they play and run around my fenced yard. This man was suspected of poisoning the Yorkie who lived here before me and another dog. The Yorkie got out of the fence and the other dog will walk down our street and then back to his house. I have heard him tell his young boys he didn't care if they killed the dog.

I let the dogs out this afternoon and they saw his boys playing in their yard, of course, they barked, I then saw the oldest (13 yo) go over and kick at his fence (yes he has a his own chain link fence as do I)
I did go to the police station and they said I could file an harassment charge on him if he threatened me, but to be honest I couldn't hear everything he was saying because of the lawnmower.
I just wish I had known about him before I bought this house. What would you do?
You can go to your Vet. and have their barkers taken out. I know someone that did this and it was fine, They were quiet dogs after that and all were happy, I quess the dogs are thinking they are still making allot of noise..

Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
I don't think have their voice boxes taken out is anymore the answer than apologizing to your neighbor.

Check you city codes for what is actually considered a noise nuisance and abide by it. My dogs, like yours are only outside when I'm out with them. Yes, they see things and bark, they at least are provoked whereas young screaming children are not

As Evey said, a privacy fence does make a difference. We're installing one right now on our south side that previously had chain and my male who is known to bark if a leaf falls from a tree in the next county, is finding less and less to bark about.

I will caution you to examine your backyard for anything foreign though if he's got a reputation (be it true or not) about poisoning others.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Try a collar before you debark, & talk to your neighbor.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I would invest in a privacy fence. Dogs will often not bark at what they don't see.
This is a great idea. If you are handy at all you can buy the wood and build it yourself and it won't cost as much as having one done.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
You can go to your Vet. and have their barkers taken out. I know someone that did this and it was fine, They were quiet dogs after that and all were happy, I quess the dogs are thinking they are still making allot of noise..
Just my opinion but I think that is dog abuse.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,636 times
Who knows if the neighbor and/or his kids have harrassed the dogs. My dogs bark at my neighbor, but they do it to get attention and the neighbors know and understand. debarking a dog is cruel. try a bark collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs