Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

I would go with the kennel and placing it if at all possible on the north side of your home to give the maximum available shading. You might also want to install a mesh covering over the top to enhance shading.

I'm opposed to the invisible fences as once they learn it only hurts for a moment and then are free to do whatever they want. Not to mention other dangers that have been mentioned in previous posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 09:39 AM

106 posts, read 371,411 times
Default Thank you, dog people!

This is a quick thank you to everyone for your responses. I'm going to take a close look at your ideas & suggestions, and do more research.

We don't know much about our dog's history, only that he came from a home with an IF. From what we can tell, his first few years may not have been too happy (there were signs of bad care like a major untreated skin problem & ear infections). We plan to slather on the love to try to make up for it!

While we don't plan to have him outside for long stretches of time when we're not home (someone's almost always at home), I do want to him to be outside sometimes without direct supervision.

We do sometimes have coyotes in this area -- so that's a major concern that I'm embarassed to say hadn't occured to me.

More to come...back to Saturday chores...

Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,679 times
Oh Golden, together we can come up with something. Since this outside time is supervised/ unsupervised but home I think a few of my ideas that are in the PM will work!!! I have one more suggestion. Many dog folks use the chicken wire posts (they come in many heights) and attach goat or horse fencing to it. the fencing (wire mesh) is quite strong, and some use something on top inbetween the posts to keep it from sagging. This can also be moved/removed as things change. The fencing also virtually disappear visually, especially if you plant vines/climbers (on the outside).

Together we will figure this out. THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING. I can attest and promise that with time, pup's past will fade and his present with you with all the love, patience, fun, and TRAINING, will reward you greatly. Rescues are the BEST, you have done such a good thing.

Big hugs for that

Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
I wanted to try the IF but until they give me a guarentee that my dog will not cross line and get killed (SAR Bloodhounds) never do it as a bloodie will put nose down and go on track wham many hours and dollars lost to a car.
I have a 12x24 attached kennel with 4x12 walk to it and a 16x16 deck they play in and on with doggie door to house.If and when sell this house and get in country plan on installing 2 acres of security fence 6 feet high.

Problem with the underground is if have storm electric goes out and pup freaks from storm you are not home where is it going to end up?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:27 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Problem with the underground is if have storm electric goes out and pup freaks from storm you are not home where is it going to end up?

Good point, dreamhunter - I didn't even think about the electrical part of it - thanks for mentioning that. I'd bet a lot of other people never thought of that either!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Good point, dreamhunter - I didn't even think about the electrical part of it - thanks for mentioning that. I'd bet a lot of other people never thought of that either!

I lived in a area that was prone everytime stormed it went out and worked cable construction and have cut a few of these. Some do have battery back ups on them but if battery goes dead and dog gets out and gets killed or worse gets out and nipped or bit someone could be a good lawsuit.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
How about a Kennel for when you are not home & the IF for when you are...

Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
That is what I would do if you don't want to leave the dog in the house while you are gone for some reason.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
I also go for the regular fense. My friend loaned me her IF and I tried it on our younger dog and he freaked. I have two border collie sweethearts. One is a shy dog and I would never put it on her. She does not need more problems.

So since I gave my cow away I put up a dog yard with her old pen and some new cattle panels. Course we live in the country and it is ok to do fenses like this. I do plan to take it all with me when we sell the place since I will always need a safe place for our dogs.

http://mail.ctcweb.net/~shadesofidaho/5-30-07-Dog-Yard.jpg (broken link)

I know it looks sort of stark but it is put up on a gravel driveway and it keeps them out of the mud when it rains and what you can not see in the picture is it wraps around the end of the house where there is a great shaded covered deck with their dog house. They seem to love it and do not try to dig out. Most times we take them with us . When it is too hot we just have to leave them home for their safety, when we go shopping.

The pen is about 60 feet long and about 30 foot across to the front corner of the house. We have 8 acres here and right off the pup got a fox tail in his ear when I took him out to run with me. Now I have them, fox tails, better under control. So even something like that is a danger in a larger area. Poor little guy.

Chris

Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM

138 posts, read 618,858 times
I would def go with a kennel. My sister used to keep her Beagle on an IF and a guy walking his 2 pit bull mixes lost control of them, they came in to my sisters yard and attacked her beagle. The 2 dogs drug him in to the street so all while he's getting attacked, he's getting shocked too. Thank God the guy was able to get the dogs off of him but my sisters Beagle lost half his ear and had 2 puncture wounds in his back. He's ok but it could have been a lot worse. To me, the IF is just not worth the risk. Not only can the batteries die, the electric go out, etc but you can't prevent what comes in to your yard. Just not safe in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs