Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,371 times

Advertisements

When I start getting ready for work in "regular" clothes, Tony and Webbus will go to the 'snack box', big ole Army ammo crate, that I keep their snacks in. They'll get a treat, if they've been good, when I leave. But on certain days, I have to wear my military uniform for work purposes or for training and Tony does not like it. I don't know why. Maybe he made that association that it means I'm going away for a long time. I don't know. Now, I'll wear it for the day or during a weekend drill so it's not the 15 month deals I used to do but to him, I guess it is. Everytime I put it on, he'll do his howling and go sulk in his room. It breaks my heart but I'm really just going to work. My SO tells me to just leave as normal and not to acknowledge it, which I shouldn't, but its so sad. LOL. And when I come home, he howls at me again, I say more like "itching plus the 'b'" at me. I'll go for a walk, feed, then go play outside and it's like nothing every happened. It's weird.

My Webs on the other hand, get's his treat, goes right back to his chair. I'm sure half the time his eyes aren't even open and he's sleep walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Oh boy, does he. Example - I made the mistake of introducing a laser pointer once, and Rudy quickly became obsessed with the stupid thing. So I took it away years ago, but he still hasn't forgotten a few associations with it... when he hears the sound of certain keychains (anything similar to the laser pointer chain), and whenever he sees that red "flash ready" light on the camera, he immediately stares at the ground & barks. "Where is it?? I know that red dot is on the floor somewhere!!" Makes it tough to get any decent indoor photos, since he's doing this 99% of the time:

Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
A few more of his associations:

Whenever I close my laptop, he gets up and stretches really big... usually closing the laptop means I'm going to bed, and we always go out for a quick potty first. The stretch is his official "I'm ready to go out now" sign.

Often when he hears a dog/s barking nearby (outside), he'll immediately run around and herd the 3 cats - who just ignore the whole thing. This stems from their early years, when the cats were more nervous about dogs... they'd run to my bedroom at the sound of barking, which apparently triggered Rudy's herding instincts.

If anyone breathes in deeply like they're about to sneeze, he flattens his ears and/or gets ready to flee. This is thanks to my old neighbor, who once fake-sneezed in his face to be funny (his dog loved it). That scared the crap outta Rudy, so now he's nervous about sneezing. Same with gum chewing, since it used to scare him when my ex-roommate popped bubbles.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-20-2011 at 12:46 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm forever amazed at how smart Artie is and how well he's trained you. And so fast! You must be pretty smart too!!

You've got to tell me how you got a work at home job! I've been looking for months. Figured with John's latest health issues working from home may be my only option.
Artie's much smarter than I am, I'm sad to say.

Working from home isn't all it's cracked up to be. Yeah, you get to do your thing whilst in PJs and can go to the kitchen whenever you please (well, the kitchen part isn't a perk, either, to be honest), but there are so many negatives.

I've been working from home since 2003. That first gig was rock-solid steady but then, when they had to cut staff, I was among the first round to go. Since then, I've found other companies to work for on an as-needed basis. I've been with these companies since 2006, but it's just that: "as needed." And "as needed" does not amount to a steady and reliable workflow. Last year I made less money than I did at my first office job 23 years ago.

So, unless you can find ONE company that has a REAL job for you -- and that job can be done at home -- I don't recommend it as a consistent source of income.

It's also hard to work at home sometimes: The dog(s) want your attention. Friends call you all the time "because you're home" (not realizing, "Yes, I'm home... but I'm WORKING!"). There's no social outlet (except for Facebook and City Data ).

On the whole, working from home is good. For me. I wouldn't have a dog otherwise (I didn't want to have a dog if I'd have to leave him at home 8-9 hours per day, alone.) But, at least in my case, the peaks and valleys of having a ton of work and then having NO work (for months at a stretch) is stressful.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
She doesn't do it as often now that it is getting cold, but for a while this summer Ninja would jump out of bed, run down the hall, and get into the bathtub as soon as my alarm clock went off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathtub.JPG
Views:	7196
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	86244

Also, when my wife gets out of bed before me in the morning(usually only Saturdays), Ninja gets up and lays on top of me to keep me from getting up as well. If I get up in the middle of the night, she follows me and watches me get a drink of water or use the bathroom, or put leftovers in the fridge or whatever. If I don't finish my task as quickly as she would like, she gets impatient, and headbutts the bedroom door open and tries to lead me back there by dropping a toy at my feet then darting towards the bed. On the rare occasion that I have to go somewhere earlier than 4 AM or so, she gives me an attitude, acts offended, and stares me down as I get dressed. When she acts like this my wife and I say that she is punishing us.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
She doesn't do it as often now that it is getting cold, but for a while this summer Ninja would jump out of bed, run down the hall, and get into the bathtub as soon as my alarm clock went off.
Attachment 86244

Also, when my wife gets out of bed before me in the morning(usually only Saturdays), Ninja gets up and lays on top of me to keep me from getting up as well. If I get up in the middle of the night, she follows me and watches me get a drink of water or use the bathroom, or put leftovers in the fridge or whatever. If I don't finish my task as quickly as she would like, she gets impatient, and headbutts the bedroom door open and tries to lead me back there by dropping a toy at my feet then darting towards the bed. On the rare occasion that I have to go somewhere earlier than 4 AM or so, she gives me an attitude, acts offended, and stares me down as I get dressed. When she acts like this my wife and I say that she is punishing us.
Ninja's one smart cookie.

Correct me if I'm wrong... Is Ninja the girl who found your elderly next-door neighbor in dire straits (last year?) and alerted you to the situation?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Yes. Our newest dog (3 year old) know thinks if she sits down when you have something she wants, you will give it to her. I think it's because she's been trained to sit for dinner and sit for treats and sit in order to get petting/attention (as opposed to jumping). So now if you have something in your hand that she wants, she will sit right in front of you.

Both of them hate suitcases.

We don't wear shoes in our house, so if we put shoes on (or real clothes on), they know we're leaving.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
I didn't realize just how much my dog loves hunting until my wife put my little boy in some urban camo sweatpants yesterday. That dog was a basketcase at the mere sight of Old Navy camouflage. He wouldn't leave the back door; just stood there staring at me to ensure that he wouldn't get left behind if I went hunting.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Ninja's one smart cookie.

Correct me if I'm wrong... Is Ninja the girl who found your elderly next-door neighbor in dire straits (last year?) and alerted you to the situation?
Same girl! She is the smartest dog I have ever been around, and she constantly amazes me with how many words she can pick out of our conversation. Unless we mean business, "treat, outside, frisbee, shoes, 'look who's here', walk, door, toy, bone, eat, downstairs, and upstairs" are all words that we try to avoid in conversation because they provoke a response.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Same girl! She is the smartest dog I have ever been around, and she constantly amazes me with how many words she can pick out of our conversation. Unless we mean business, "treat, outside, frisbee, shoes, 'look who's here', walk, door, toy, bone, eat, downstairs, and upstairs" are all words that we try to avoid in conversation because they provoke a response.
I love that girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs