Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Another ridiculous association that Artie has relates to the fact that, I swear, he can tell time.

We go for our nighttime walk at the same time each evening. It doesn't matter if he was out running in the backyard just 15 minutes before that time, or if he's fast asleep on my lap while we're watching a movie. When THAT TIME is on the clock, Artie jumps off my lap, sits at my feet, and gives me the stare-down. "It's THAT TIME! Let's GO, lady!"

I guess he's just like me -- a creature of habit and not much for spontaneity.
My guy's do that at their 'suppah' time. Even when the clocks change, they get the time right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
My guy's do that at their 'suppah' time. Even when the clocks change, they get the time right.
I wish Artie would do that. I practically have to beg him to eat. And by "practically," I mean that I do.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It's easy to set off my dogs' predator mode.

If I walk normally, no one notices. If I even look like I am trying to be sneaky, they are all over it. I started to wonder how far this goes.

Turns out if I just look at them, they just look back at me. But if I start to make my eyes big and look all sneaky and suspicious, they jump up and are all over me again. So weird.

Oh, and my youngest dog is racist against brown men (except for my dad and brother) because (I think) she really HATES the yard guys and their loud leaf blowers. So no innocent brown man can even walk down the street without her going absolutely apesh**.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Oh and as for associations - collars coming off = BATH TIME. I take a collar off, turn around to put in on the counter, all of a sudden I'm 1 dog short while 2 other collared dogs are standing there staring at me with a suspicious look.

Disappearing dogs when the collars come off!!
Yup, Rudy knows that one too! If the collar comes off, he suddenly gets that REALLY worried look on his face... "uh-oh, I know what this means - and I'm not gonna like it!"

Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
My dogs know everything but my male GSD's main thing is "helping" me with the horses. If I am even slightly off my (his?) usual schedule, he goes "woo-woo-woo," at me, and it is clear he is accusing me of being a lazy bum.

He thinks he and my TB gelding are equals and kindred spirits. When I go into the barn, he makes a beeline for his buddy, and when I pour the pellets into the gelding's dish, Mister slips between the rails of the gate and stands side by side with the TB, sharing it until I call him away.

My TB tolerates it, but gives me a kind of confused look, as though asking me why this dog thinks he is a horse. Mister does not seem aware of the size difference between him and a 16.3 hand horse.

Speaking of animal identity confusion, I have long thought that our house cat thinks he is a dog, so it gave me and my husband quite a laugh when we had our barn roof re-shingled this summer, and the roofer's little kids were around, and in watching the dogs and the cat, the little girl said to her father, "That cat thinks he's a dog."

Old 10-21-2011, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 60,086 times
We've only had Daisy since June, and so besides the normal leash sound, it's just the sound of velcro. For most of the summer, I put on Teva sandals when I walked her, so whenever she heard that she'd think it's time for a walk. It's not the most common sound, so it's not a problem. Only my husband's cycling gloves make that same sound.

If you put your hand in your pocket, she thinks she's getting a treat. Sometimes she'll even sit for this non-existant treat. Then I feel bad that I don't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs