Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
Thank you all for your kind words. At the moment Jess seems stable so I can't ask for more than that! One of the nasty aspects of this disease is that she could have another flare up at any time so I just continue to give her her medication and keep my fingers crossed. The vet said unfortunately even if she were to go into remission that the disease will come back, it always does, and worse than before. As long as she continues to appear bright and wag her tail then I'm happy. She is being spoilt with lots of food and hugs.

The blood tests were apparently quite conclusive that it was autoimmune. Lyme disease is still extremely rare here in Australia, we don't seem to hear of any cases but we do get the dreaded paralysis ticks which are awful, and this season has been especially bad. Fortunately, the vet that I take Jess to is undertaking further studies in Lyme disease so they have taken the possibility seriously. It does sound very similar though!

I will make whatever time she has left, be it ten months or two, comfortable and happy for her. I have to keep in mind that she has had a great life so far (spoilt, trips to the beach etc) so whatever happens, I can rest easier knowing that.
I love your attitude. This is the way I felt with Jack, my black lab that died of canine lymphoma last year at age seven. It was obviously very difficult but I knew Jack lived a wonderful, albeit too short, life.

Best of luck to you and your pup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 AM

332 posts, read 498,598 times
Thanks RSFGW. Funnily enough my other lab is a black one called Jack! He is a gorgeous, big, cuddly guy. Fortunately I haven't had any problems with his health.

I'm sorry to hear about your boy.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Lyme Disease

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM

399 posts, read 854,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
Thank you all for your kind words. At the moment Jess seems stable so I can't ask for more than that! One of the nasty aspects of this disease is that she could have another flare up at any time so I just continue to give her her medication and keep my fingers crossed. The vet said unfortunately even if she were to go into remission that the disease will come back, it always does, and worse than before. As long as she continues to appear bright and wag her tail then I'm happy. She is being spoilt with lots of food and hugs.

The blood tests were apparently quite conclusive that it was autoimmune. Lyme disease is still extremely rare here in Australia, we don't seem to hear of any cases but we do get the dreaded paralysis ticks which are awful, and this season has been especially bad. Fortunately, the vet that I take Jess to is undertaking further studies in Lyme disease so they have taken the possibility seriously. It does sound very similar though!

I will make whatever time she has left, be it ten months or two, comfortable and happy for her. I have to keep in mind that she has had a great life so far (spoilt, trips to the beach etc) so whatever happens, I can rest easier knowing that.
That is the wonderful aspect and the saving grace is that our animals are treated royally which they should be. Friends from beginning to end they enrich our lives and we do the same for them! Ennoy your days the best you can. Our best wishes and good luck!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
OP is finding out, yet again, like anyone who loves a dog, that they help us to live more fully in the present, as they do. Best wishes to OP and the pooch from Massachusetts and my gang of six elderly critters.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the link Fontucky, I know that Lyme Disease is not unheard of here but the cases are very few and far between, though there seems to be a belief that it may be becoming more of a risk. My vets office actually has a flyer up advertising that they are doing a study on Lyme disease and would like any dogs with symptoms for their work. Jess has been ruled out as having it. She has never had a tick, despite my living in an area where they can be quite common. I'm militant about both dogs and their tick treatments (though I know its no guarantee), so far we've been very lucky.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM

Update on my girl

Went to the vets today for Jess's check up, the vet was pleased that she is still looking happy and wagging her tail, but the deterioration of her muscles is marching along, despite all the meds. She looks like skin and bone even though she eats constantly. The weather here has been fairly warm but Jess gets to stay inside with the air-con on. She has been panting heavily despite being in the cool. This is because her heart, being a muscle also, is deteriorating too. The vet had hoped that the medication would bring on remission, or at least keep Jess steady. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be. She is already on huge doses of medication so there isn't much more that can be done. I'm taking her back again in two weeks for another check up, but I fear now that we may be on the home straight. It's awful, especially as her mind is still sharp, but her body continues to fail......

Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
This is so sad. At least she's getting all the love and care a dog could ask for. My thoughts are with both of you.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
Oh, Aussie, so sorry to read your latest update. My heart goes out to you and your girl. How is jack handling all this--any signs of distress? Does he have any inkling that so much is wrong, do you think? Again, so sorry!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
You're taking care of her the best last possible way as her time comes sooner. Be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs