Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times

Advertisements

This past winter we moved to a place where it snows a lot. We had a Saint Bernard and a golden retriever that would leave some pretty hefty, steaming, stinky poos. I would just use the shovel and I would just bury the poo in the snow by the side of our house. Hubby said I should fling it across the yard, but I didn't listen. Well when it warmed up, my God!,the stink right by our house of the thawed poo was horrendous! I got a shovel and had to pick up all that stinky old poo and get it away from our house. I've learned my lesson for next winter that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:58 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Our dog prefers to go in the driveway. We live in GA and it is blistering hot. Regardless of where he goes, we pick it up in a plastic bag and put it each time into our trash. We do not examine it after that. It goes into the trash and gets picked up weekly.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
We live in a tropical area with two large dogs. I use a pooper scooper with shopping bag over it and tie it off and throw in rubbish can. The state is phasing out shopping bags so I'm not sure what I will do from there....

I do throw a pretty strong fly killer into our refuse container.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We live in a tropical area with two large dogs. I use a pooper scooper with shopping bag over it and tie it off and throw in rubbish can. The state is phasing out shopping bags so I'm not sure what I will do from there....

I use plastic store shopping bags over my hand to pick up the dog poop. I also buy the bags on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/T-shirts-Carr...thank+you+bags

Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I use plastic store shopping bags over my hand to pick up the dog poop. I also buy the bags on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/T-shirts-Carr...thank+you+bags
That will work!!! I love you Amazon!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
I have two Malamutes, and I use poop bags purchased from Amazon. Out of every package of 1000 I might have had three bags that failed; but I do check them before grabbing the pile.
Winter, an orange Home Depot bucket, garbage bag and a shovel. Scoop up the frozen popsickles and dump into garbage bag in buck, close the cover (bucket is now known as the "orange bucket of death), and throw out the bag on garbage bag.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I'm just catching the tail end of this long running thread. Living on a farm, the dogs always poop far from the house and we get lots of rain to disperse it. BUT, if I was living suburban, I would get a large covered pail (5 gallon), pick the poops up with a pooper scooper and put them in the pail every day or two. Immediately on so doing I would take a small amount of GARDEN LIME and sprinkle it over the poop. The bucket would end up layered with poop and lime. When it was full, I would either dump the whole mess into a trashbag sitting in the trashcan and tie it off until the trash guys come, OR I would dig a hole and dump the stuff in the hole then cover it up with more soil. If you have lots of buckets and a small dog, just put a lid on the bucket for disposal.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
I have a small yard, doggie door access, for my pug and boston terrier. In the backyard, I have a big rubbermaid trashcan with lawn/leaf heavy duty trashbag inside and lid on top, that I dispose of doggy poop in (i pick it up with that big black claw-type pooper scooper that they sell at Walmart), and once a week, I empty this trashcan into the dumpster. Right now i live in South Texas, and summers here are brutally hot. And this summer has been unusually rainy. The other day, for the first time, I opened it up to dispose of poop and the inside of the lid, and the sides of the trashbags had teeny pale yellow kinda worm bugs (maybe maggots?). it grossed me out so bad. i immediately put rubber gloves on, dragged the trashcan to the dumpster, hosed it off, sprayed a bunch of insect repellent spray on the inside of the trashcan and lid, and put a fresh bag in it and put it back in the yard.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any hints to avoid this? I am going to start putting the poop in a small plastic bag and tying it, and THEN putting it into the huge trashcan. Also continue to spray it with insect repellent/insecticide.
Also, what do yall do with doggy poop in your backyards? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I would like to know how yall dispose of it?

I lived for a couple of years (several years back) in a house with multiple dogs. There was a small fenced backyard where the dogs would relieve themselves. I bagged up every bit of dog feces I could find; and put the bags in the plastic canister (I forget what make, about 2.5 ft. or 2 ft. high, with a lid) that was already lined with two garbage bags). I also sprayed the interior with RAID frequently. The night before trash collection, I'd go out to that bin and tie up the first garbage bag (that had all the little poop bags in it) and tie the second bag around it, spray it with RAID again, re-line the canister with two garbage bags, take the old, double-bagged dog mess into the garage where I kept my garbage cans, plunk it in a garbage can and spray with RAID again, then took it out to the end of the driveway with the other garbage cans. I live in the Northeastern U.S., not Texas, but I never had any infestation of pests either in that canister or in my garage or the garbage cans.

At the very least, I recommend scooping up the dog mess with dog poop bags, or plastic grocery bags and tying them off before putting them in your rubbermaid trashcan. And use some insect repellent frequently.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:35 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
We live in a rural area. We collect our small dog's poop into an open garbage pail (sitting on coarse stones) that has holes cut in the bottom for drainage. Once in a while (when the poop is about 3-5 inches high in the pail) we just drag the garbage pail into the bush, dump it, and let nature dissolve it.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Get a plumber to install a 'T' in the sewer line, and then get one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Doggie-Doo-Dr.../dp/B0020N940C

I suppose you could use it with a septic tank as well, but I'd only do it for smaller dogs, otherwise you'll be pumping out the tank more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs