Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,606,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
American Veterinary Medical Association

Canine devocalization should only be performed by qualified, licensed veterinarians as a final alternative to euthanasia after behavioral modification to correct excessive vocalization has failed and after discussion of potential complications from the procedure with the owner.
Someone who had owned Deaf Phoenix had her debarked before I owned her and it was very sad as she tended to choke on food which put her at risk of an aspiration pneumonia. She ate very slow and it was sad to see her choke so much. Many years later she did develop a pneumonia that almost killed her got her through it but all the meds took a toll on her kidneys and she went into kidney failure and We could not turn her around so I had to put her down. So I myself am against debarking a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,606,634 times
I have a friend that lives in a mobile home park and has a dog. Sadly his dog tends to run things it is like he is afraid if he says no to his dog the dog will not love him. He leaves his backdoor open at night and because he lives along a creek bed which is like the wildlife super highway his dog is often barking at night as he hears the animals and goes out the open door and barks at them. Several of his neighbors have been complaining and I keep telling him he needs to keep the dog inside at night as his neighbors should not have to deal with his dog barking and he could end up with a fine or being told to get rid of the dog. His reply is always but my dog likes to be able to go outside at night

Sorry but when you live near others and own a dog you do need to be considerate of them and as much as I love dogs I do find barking nonstop annoying. So I do not care why a dog is barking but owners need to find a way to control it. Dogs can be trained to be quiet when you tell them to be.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:36 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Both you and your pets are being bad neighbors. You can, and should, train your dogs not to bark, or to alert and then stop.

It really doesn't matter why, it's an irritant no matter what the reason.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-26-2017, 10:37 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,364,204 times
Hummm you folks do realize the OP Posted in 2012...5 Years ago! Has Not been back since......

Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Hummm you folks do realize the OP Posted in 2012...5 Years ago! Has Not been back since......
Oops.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 9,961 times
I let my dog bark away till 9 then i tell her your done. She knows when she hears these words it's over, no matter what, there is no way I will open that door again. She goes to bed. As for the time I let her bark, I am not too concerned with the neighbors I endured there 6 kids and the other neighbors loud music with no complaints.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
#3- Are you actually saying that a dog who barks at feral animals are harassing said animals? You've got to be kidding.

YES! & in certain areas its IS against the Law!
Not in West Virginia. Feral cats and dogs are not wildlife, therefore there are no 'harassment rules' period. I lived in WV for 20 years and I'm a hunter.

In fact I would imagine there are very few if any laws on the books concerning dogs 'harassing' feral animals. In most places they are considered on the same level as vermin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs