Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times

Advertisements

What do you think about this? Do you think it should be law in other states?

I'm no sure how I feel but I do know expensive fines should be levied against people who drive around with a dog in the bed of a pick p truck.

Dogs 'n cats better buckle up in N.J. - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM

349 posts, read 616,944 times
I think its great and should be nationwide. Too many times I've seen someones dog jump into their lap while they're driving... how could that NOT be distracting?

My dog gets harnessed into the back seat, otherwise she runs back and forth from window to window and it's highly distracting for not just the driver, but the passenger too. With the harness, she is restricted to one side of the backseat, one window, and there's zero chance of her seeing a squirrel and trying to get out of the window.

Dogs can jump out of moving vehicles, or even ones sitting at a red light. I've seen it happen before... it didn't end well.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,815 times
Interesting. My doxie usually sits on my lap or he'll lay down on a blanket beside me. I'm sure it would be safer for him having a seat belt or being in a carrier.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,987,928 times
Absolutely ridiculous!

More .gov entering our lives. It's about revenue, not safety.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,926,991 times
This is completely stupid.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,396,872 times
Our hunting dogs always ride in the back of the truck......

That is how they smell prey.

Rip rides on the hood sometimes.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,923,972 times
I never see dogs in the backs of pickup trucks here, that is illegal, as it should be. Maybe if someone lives out in the middle of nowhere miles from civilization it wouldn't be so dangerous though, as long as they are driving slowly. But I do often see dogs on drivers's laps here, I think that should be a ticketable offense. Otherwise, I'm not so sure. My dogs have always ridden way in the back of our enclosed SUV, with no danger of hopping onto my lap. Belting them in might be safer for dogs, but I'm not so sure it should be a law.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,074,198 times
I think the police in NJ have bigger issues to tackle than ticketing people who's dogs aren't wearing a seatbelt.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,708,117 times
I think the real question needs to be, Who Should the Rules Apply To?

Those who treat their pets as animals and interacts with them as animals, and deals with pet issues like animals, they should be allowed to travel with their pets as if they are animals. To this group, NO, the law should not apply to them.

The group that treats their pets as people, interacts with their pets as if they were a person or a child, and whenever an issue arises wants everyone to ralley behind the pet as if it was a child, well YES they need to continue that to how the pet travels.

If you accept that your pet is a animal, it's an animal, its a animal . But if you treat the pet as a child or human don't get all pissy when you get your wish!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM

50 posts, read 227,916 times
I think it also has to do with driver's and passenger's safety, not just the dog's, even if the dogs are well behaved and always sit in the back. Think about it. An unrestrained dog is just a living projectile if the driver has to suddenly slam on the brakes or gets into an accident. The dog can go flying into the windshield or crash into another passenger. I imagine the damage gets worse if the dog is big.

A person who wore their seat belt and gets into a car crash may still end up having to go to the hospital if 50+ lbs of dog slammed into their head or neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs