Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,265 times

Advertisements

I never really considered this "bad" behavior but I read an article last night that had me thinking. I am not convinced but would love to know your opinions.

Let me preface this by saying I have a 2 year old spayed female that gets a lot of yard playtime and usually an hour walk daily. Both her yard and our walking trails get more traffic by wild animals ( deer, mice,bear, squirrels - you get the picture) then by other people or dogs so there are lots of new smells each and every time we are outside. As a puppy I followed the rules about always leading the walk and being the first to enter a room, but I relaxed those rules once she became consistently obedient. I think she has terrier blood in her so she does become fixated at times on the hunt but never ignores completely me - just a momentary hesitation when she realizes her limitations. Our walks now are a good mix of brisk walking and slow meandering as she sniffs every blade of grass or stick that has been recently disturbed and, of course, her squatting to leave her calling card. I honestly don't have an issue with this behavior as we are mostly out in the woods and not walking across people's yards but the article stated that this could a sign of an insecure dog or one that is seeking a dominant position .

The article pointed out that allowing your dog to sniff and mark ( something I always considered not only natural but one of the perks of being a dog) would undermine his position in your household and lead to behavior problems. While I can see that some dogs require different limitations, I can't wrap my head around the idea that it is a hard and fast rule for all dogs.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,556 times
You have a link to that article?

Honestly I find that theory to full of crap. As much times as I ALLOWED my dogs to mark, my position in the household is unchanged. I do believe that if the owner is "weak" some dogs will take over the household, if they don't run it already.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I think it's bunk too. As long as the dog isn't marking my stuff , I don't see it as undermining my authority. And sniffing, well what fun is a walk if you can't smell all the smells? I don't want my dogs to be out of control on walks, but the point, really, is for them to get exercise and have a little fun, isn't it?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I think it's bunk too. As long as the dog isn't marking my stuff , I don't see it as undermining my authority. And sniffing, well what fun is a walk if you can't smell all the smells? I don't want my dogs to be out of control on walks, but the point, really, is for them to get exercise and have a little fun, isn't it?
Interesting question. I've heard dog trainers tell me that before - only let him mark where you allow it and nowhere else - walk time is walk time, not sniff & pee time. I disagree with that too - I feel the same as you, subject2change.

On the other hand, sometimes you're in a hurry and need the dog to do its business, and where you say (due to yards or whatnot). But I think most dogs are smart enough to figure out by your tone/actions/words when it's a fun leisurely walk time and when it's "I better hurry & do what mom/dad says" time.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Agreed. There is a time to hurry and they understand it. And also, I don't let them pee on flowers or bushes, so there is still control there. I think some trainers are a little too hung up on dogs being like little robots or something. Yes, we have to make sure they are well behaved, but they're dogs for crying out loud.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Nanners lives a pretty tightly controlled life. Allowing her to sniff and pee wherever she wants to during our multiple daily walks on the property is not harming the balance of power over here and is providing necessary daily stimulation. There is no doubt who is in control of this pack. Jeeze...

Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,265 times
Thanks guys! You are all echoing my gut reaction. My general philosophy is that life is too short and there is no shortage of all kinds of necessary rules we have to follow, SO I believe in grabbing as much fun as we can. If sniffing and squatting makes them happy, I say go for it. On a more serious note, I believe that this instinct feeds something more important then I can measure. I can't seem to find the article today. I found it about 3Am last night when I could not sleep but I do remember that Cesar Millan along with another trainer contributed to it though.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
The article pointed out that allowing your dog to sniff and mark ( something I always considered not only natural but one of the perks of being a dog) would undermine his position in your household and lead to behavior problems. While I can see that some dogs require different limitations, I can't wrap my head around the idea that it is a hard and fast rule for all dogs.
That's a bunch of bull! Just because it's in print, doesn't make it true. ANYONE can write an article or a book.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Thanks guys! You are all echoing my gut reaction. My general philosophy is that life is too short and there is no shortage of all kinds of necessary rules we have to follow, SO I believe in grabbing as much fun as we can. If sniffing and squatting makes them happy, I say go for it.
I agree completely!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
bull, but i also dont buy into the whole human dog dominance training theory...
dogs need consitency and boundries, yes...
but not for a moment do they belive we are "dogs" and thus able to take "alpha wolf status" by controling every aspect of thier life like micromanaging paranoid hypchondriachs.

my dogs are allowed to mark outdoors in the yard, and when we are on walks If i allow...
ofr example if we are walking for excersize they get 5 mins at the beginning of the walk to sniff pee on every little blade of grass ect...then its walk time, and i tell them that, we walk heads up focused at a good pace and at the end of the walk i tell them "all done" and they get another 5 minute "cool down" to sniff pee on every blade of grass ect again.
this snt me enforcing my "dominance" its simply that if your walking to burn off excess energy stoppingevery 5 seconds is NOT going to do you any good...and so simple rules ot maintain a nice walk are in place. the dogs know the rules, they know they will be given their "free time" too and things go nice and smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs