Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times

Advertisements

When I walk my dog, he seems to want to raise his leg and mark every vertical stationary object in the neighborhood. Sometimes I see him urinate sometimes, his leg raises and nothing happens (or does something I cannot see get emitted?). Sometimes he is almost doing a one leg raise and hop to ensure the highest 'squirt potential'.

Do I need the Dog Whisperer for this? Is this some obsessive compulsive disorder? He is a 1 year old and has been fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
My blue heeler was fixed at 4 months old, and he didn't lift/mark until he was two and a half (didn't he look cute squatting?) And as an adult he still squatted when he had to pee...saved the lifting for walks.

Any others I've had always marked/lifted everywhere at every opportunity...I assume it's due to not "nipping it in the bud"!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 AM

61 posts, read 251,327 times
Hmmm

I thought this was normal for dogs and really didn't think much of it, I guess I am saying is I rather them do it on a walk instead of in the house.

Speaking of hiking leg, in Japan males are cheaper than females because of said leg hiking!!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
It is called "being a male dog". Very normal, leaving their mark wherever they go.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Don't worry about, it's a typical "male" behavior )
My male is fixed, and he squats like a girl LOL

Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
My Cleo, yes a female, marks when I walk her. It's worse if there's a female in heat in the area She's a dominant female so it's not too surprising, I try and avert it by giving the leash a gentle tug and telling her to heel.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Ive had 2 that did that, one male one female, both fixed. It got very annoying. I used the dog whispers technique. A quick tug and hiss noise and keep walking.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Totally normal.

My male signs his name all along the route during our walks - half the time nothing more than a drop is coming out (I have them do their "business" in our yard prior to the walk).

Like others mentioned above, I also have a female that marks. She's a dominant personality dog and this is just another way she expresses that I guess.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
No he is fine, it isn't obsessive compulsive (well maybe just a bit) but it is normal for a male dog. They will mark, so will females just not as noticeable because they normally squat. I had a female once that would always mark shortly before coming into heat. Once I was conditioning her for a show doing hand walking, then she started to want to squat and mark here and there so I hung up the conditioning. I knew she'd be in heat and I wouldn't be able to show her since she was showing me the warning signs. When one of my females was in heat another female peed on her bed, she marked it since the female in heat had left her scent. The female in heat was also in another females crate and when the "owner" of that crate went in she peed in it. GRRR. Its just normal canine behavior, especially if they are dominant although not all mine that mark are, its just instinct to spread their scent and cover others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Totally normal.

My male signs his name all along the route during our walks - half the time nothing more than a drop is coming out (I have them do their "business" in our yard prior to the walk).

Like others mentioned above, I also have a female that marks. She's a dominant personality dog and this is just another way she expresses that I guess.
Does anyone else's female hike when they mark? I have one female which totally hikes her leg like a male dog to mark and will do it on poles, trees, ect. If she doesn't hike she backs up to it and does a partial hike. None of the other girls to that.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Our male Lab doesn't necessarily "mark" as he "overmarks". If another dog has marked, he will counter the spot with his own fragrance, even when he's run dry. He's apparently an alpha dog. It's a male thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs