Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I know, I know. I was just making light of the scene---my larger dog being a bit intimidated by this bunch.
Imagine being 8 pounds and then you'd know what intimidation is. My Yorkie lives with 3 brothers and all are HUGE compared to her 30, 80, and 90 pounds. She's fine with her brothers, but HATES other large dogs and barks like a maniac. She's afraid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
This is how a lady in my neighborhood "walks" her dogs every day. Sometimes two of them are walking but one always seems to be in the stroller. She puts the other 2 in when I approach with my dog & kids.
I think she misunderstood the term, "walking the dog".

As for "protecting" her dogs, we ALL have to be wary of other dogs regardless the size of our own dogs. You find out where you can take them and you walk them there. It's not difficult.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,171 times
So.....how does this protect the dogs???? If something wants after those dogs they will get it stroller or not. Also whats the so say that she's protecting other dogs from them. Small breeds can be nasty little buggers.

This photo doesn't surprise me and its common here, western civilization humanizing dogs.a

Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,698,410 times
I have fostered a couple of puppy mill survivors and have applied various techniques to help them feel safe but stimulate their acceptance of the world. Haven't needed a stroller but I would consider using one if it seems appropriate.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
2 walks then 1 rides then she switches dogs sounds like they are getting exercise. So is the lady LOL I think I get a Baby buggy not a stroller LOL

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,986 times
Yes, those dogs are much safer in a stroller if a large dog comes running to attack....sarcasm

Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
I've got a stroller with a crate mounted on it, and that is for safety.

The world is full of loose Pitbulls and Labradors who "just want to play", but they "play" by running at my dogs with their hackles up and their teeth showing. So I take the stroller and when a loose dog comes at us, my Papillons are lifted up and closed inside the crate. I am not willing to wait and see which loose dog is friendly and which one will kill my dogs with one snap.

Just picking the dogs up is not enough. My very large son had a loose pit bull climb up his front trying to kill the Papillon he was holding. Fortunately, he is a big strong man who has had big dogs all of his life. The Papillon was safe, the pit bull got hurt, and the pit bull's owner was outraged because his dog "just wanted to play". I don't consider tug-a-war with the small furry screaming thing to be a suitable game for my small dogs. Nor is clawing at strangers a cute game.

The danger factor with so many loose dogs keeps me from having my dogs out in public very often. Too many dog owners have no manners at all.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Adding; it is not just small dogs who are attacked in public. My 32 inch tall, 115 pound, Scottish Deerhound was attacked by loose dogs several times.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM

639 posts, read 1,965,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think she misunderstood the term, "walking the dog".

As for "protecting" her dogs, we ALL have to be wary of other dogs regardless the size of our own dogs. You find out where you can take them and you walk them there. It's not difficult.
Dogs that are not dog aggressive will be aggressive towards small dogs because they don't recognize them as dogs. If you have a Yorkie, a long-haired, gray mop on legs...other dogs see it as a rabbit or squirrel or some other prey animal. Even nice dogs may attack. Or a nice dog that wants to play can hurt a small dog when they wouldn't be able to hurt a large dog acting same way. It's a lot more difficult than you make it out to be.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've got a stroller with a crate mounted on it, and that is for safety.

The world is full of loose Pitbulls and Labradors who "just want to play", but they "play" by running at my dogs with their hackles up and their teeth showing. So I take the stroller and when a loose dog comes at us, my Papillons are lifted up and closed inside the crate. I am not willing to wait and see which loose dog is friendly and which one will kill my dogs with one snap.

Just picking the dogs up is not enough. My very large son had a loose pit bull climb up his front trying to kill the Papillon he was holding. Fortunately, he is a big strong man who has had big dogs all of his life. The Papillon was safe, the pit bull got hurt, and the pit bull's owner was outraged because his dog "just wanted to play". I don't consider tug-a-war with the small furry screaming thing to be a suitable game for my small dogs. Nor is clawing at strangers a cute game.

The danger factor with so many loose dogs keeps me from having my dogs out in public very often. Too many dog owners have no manners at all.
So it's only those loose pitbulls and labradors that are the problem? Let's not single out breeds, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs