Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,833 times

Advertisements

Have to admit Poodle was the breed that came to mind when I read the OP - but any reason you all are suggesting the Standard instead of the Miniature? OP requests small-medium size...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Have to admit Poodle was the breed that came to mind when I read the OP - but any reason you all are suggesting the Standard instead of the Miniature? OP requests small-medium size...
Having had both minis and standard poodles I would say the standard is a better pick for a few reasons.

Minis tend to bark a lot and standards don't

Minis are fairly aggressive, especially with children and standards are not

Standards are robust, don't hurt easily and minis are not.

Standards have far less health problems than minis.

Another choice I might make is a standard schnauzer. They are really fantastic dog. I have had them and they are every bit as good as a standard poodle. As with all breeds of dog you MUST be VERY careful of the breeder. You want a dog that has a guarenteed temperment. A badly bred SS can be a nightmare. Visous, barking, aggressive. A well bred one is a joy to own. They are the easiest of all dog breeds to train. When you have a well bred SS, you think you are the dog whisperer. LOL

I had two SS and they were allowed the run of the house. I re did the living room, new everything, floors furniture etc. While it was under construction I had a curtain rigged up and the dogs were not allowed in for two weeks while we were working on it. When we were finished I took down the curtain, brought the dogs to the wide entrance and told them they were not allowed in there any more. It's hard to believe but those dogs never ever went in that room again. They would come to the edge of the room and lay down right there. If a paw strsyed over the line and I looked at them they would quickly pull it back from the border.

They call the breed "Biddable" and I can say they are to an extreme. Nonsheding dog, robust and very strong, no yapping, loyal to a fault, protective of threats to family, few health concerns and just great great dogs. They also cost a lot less than a comparable poodle.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM

149 posts, read 324,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Be forewarned, your MIL will probably complain about any dog, regardless of how hypoallergenic it is.
Hopes, that's a given no matter what! Just trying to ease her in any way we can .

@ Bmachina: That's really interesting about Cocker dander, I did not know that. Do you know that from personal experience or is there a source where I could read about that (sorry, I'm a librarian, it's a habit )? That would definitely be a big deal.

We have actually looked a little bit at poodles but there are a couple of things that have scared us away up to this point:
1. Standards may be too big & toys may be too yappy and annoying. Is there a medium? I don't know if I've ever seen one.
2. I feel dumb saying this but we're kind of worried that a poodle may be too smart for us haha. Looking back, I would get outsmarted by my bichon regularly growing up. A little concerned that the same would happen another super smart dog. And I don't know how to keep a dog like that stimulated enough, especially when my wife and I are at work.

Thanks for all your great comments and suggestions, really appreciate your help.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks, lucknow! I figured there was a reason; was curious to learn the specifics!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post

We have actually looked a little bit at poodles but there are a couple of things that have scared us away up to this point:
1. Standards may be too big & toys may be too yappy and annoying. Is there a medium? I don't know if I've ever seen one.
The miniature is the size between standard and toy.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Because the OP is worried a cockapoo wouldn't be able to go jogging with him, and I agree because my peekapoo couldn't do that.

A standard poodle will be able to do that. Standards are medium size dogs IMO because they are so graceful but still sturdy dogs.

They might be tall but they're certainly smaller than a Labrador.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Because the OP is worried a cockapoo wouldn't be able to go jogging with him, and I agree because my peekapoo couldn't do that.

A standard poodle will be able to do that. Standards are medium size dogs IMO because they are so graceful.

They might be tall but they're certainly smaller than a Labrador.
Ah yes I suppose the longer legs of the Standard would probably make for a better jogging partner.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I think the OP should eliminate the hypoallergenic criteria because it's only for the MIL who lives out of state and she'll complain anyway.

You're choosing a dog to live with you 365/24/7. You're adults living your own lives. Don't let her have so much power in decisions.

If you eliminate the hypoallergenic, it opens up many possibilities that would be a great match for you and your wife.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
I have never owned a Portuguese Water Dog but have known several . All are young dogs and they are balls of energy. One of them was in Puppy class with Chaos and I and he was a handful and bounced and over he is 2 now and not any better. The other 2 I know are not dogs that do well left alone all day as they get into trouble as that enegry is an issue. They are great dogs but not sure they would enjoy a run the just hanging out.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
The miniature is the size between standard and toy.
There is a breeder of red standard poodles in Montana called Adonai. They breed red "Moyan" standard poodles. A Moyan is a small standard poodle. They are still within the breed standard but right at the smallest size allowable. Check out their website. They have the most beautiful poodles ever. I plan to get a stud dog for my "Diamond Jubliee" from them in the future.

Tell me what you think of these Moyans.

Last edited by lucknow; 03-04-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs