Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
It's interesting to hear people try to shift some of the blame on the neighbor. Even if there were no fence at all, she still can't really be blamed. Her dog was self-contained on her property. The OP's dog breached property lines, and killed the neighbor's dog. It's really that simple.

Sure everyone could have done more, but what's done is done. Even if the dog was on a leash, accompanied by the owner, would that have really stopped the OP's dog?

San Antonio Animal Codes
City of San Antonio Animal Codes
I actually agree with you. An animal (or child) should be safe on its own property. And you're correct in that even if the killed dog had been on a leash, it would have been in danger from the other dog. SHOULD is the operative word here.

But the fence and responsibility for having one is shared. Had the victim's owner put up her own fence on her own property, her dog would have been safe.

Never, ever delegate the safety of your own dog to someone else. And don't assume your dog knows the meaning of the human words "fence" and "yard".

Dogs don't think like humans and only fools think they do.

The neighbor didn't have a fence of her own. She can't expect animals of any kind to know not to enter her yard or know where property lines are.

If you want your dog to be safe, you'll put up your own fence.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 03-20-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My former neighbor had a rottweiler that jumped partly over her fence and nipped my neck while I was mowing next to it. It wasn't major as far as I was concerned, but another neighbor saw it happen and called the police. Police showed up, asked me what happened, looked at the mark on my neck and wrote up a report. She was charged, had to go to court. I even gave her a ride, as I had to go too, to testify as to what happened.

I told the judge I wasn't upset about it and wasn't looking for anything, as the neighbor and I had always been on good terms. He didn't care. He considered the dog a threat and ordered my neighbor to destroy the dog, find a home for it outside the city limits, or build a second fence at least four feet inside her current fence. I just bring this up, because you could be looking at something similar, in addition to your neighbor's loss.

If that dog had jumped the fence (or knocked it down) and killed my small dog, I'd have wanted the dog destroyed. No ifs, ands or buts. I'd want total reassurance that it would never happen again. As mentioned uptopic, what if it had been a child in your neighbor's back yard. You've got a problem besides a bad fence.
I agree. I would called the police and the dog would have been put down as "vicious". I would not want to keep a dog that would want to attack or kill another dog. It has happened once so how long before it happens again? What if the dog gets out? If you can't control a pet, it is time to either get help or give the pet up. I am surprised the neighbor did not call the police but perhaps she was in shock. I'm guessing she is getting a lot of outside advice on this. I know a lot of home insurance policies will not cover a Rott.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Why do you own a dog that would kill another dog? I just don't understand this. It was your fence, you had the responsibility and good conscious to repair and/or replace that fence. If your dog killed mine, replacing with another dog would not placate me. Sure, I would feel responsible because I couldn't afford to fix something that was not mine. Now you will literally fix the barn door after the "cow"..."rott"....got out. How about the next time, there is a small child living next door? No dog is born vicious....if you never want to be sued, then you know what you have to do. You may not be awful people, but in my opinion, you are awfully ignorant.
I have not commented on this thread until now. I feel horrible for the OP and for the deceased dog's owner. It was an accident, could it have been prevented? Yes, most accidents can but the OP is doing everything they can to do right by their neighbor.
Also, an dog that is dog agressive, or even just small dog agressive or has a high prey drive does not translate to people agressive or that it would hurt or kill a human.
You call the OP ignorant, well, I'm sorry but in my opionion you are the one that is ignorant. Why would the OP own an dog that would kill another dog? Dogs are animals, with teeth, if it had killed a cat, a squirl, a mouse would you still ask this question?

OP, I hope one they the neighbor can forgive your dog and you for what happened. In the mean time, fix the fence, leash the dog, don't leave your dogs unsupervised and lend your support to your neighbor. Hopefully your neighbor will take you up on getting another dog, not that it will replace the one that died but it might help heal her pain if she gives love to another pup. =)

Take care and I hope things get better.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I have not commented on this thread until now. I feel horrible for the OP and for the deceased dog's owner. It was an accident, could it have been prevented? Yes, most accidents can but the OP is doing everything they can to do right by their neighbor.
Also, an dog that is dog agressive, or even just small dog agressive or has a high prey drive does not translate to people agressive or that it would hurt or kill a human.
You call the OP ignorant, well, I'm sorry but in my opionion you are the one that is ignorant. Why would the OP own an dog that would kill another dog? Dogs are animals, with teeth, if it had killed a cat, a squirl, a mouse would you still ask this question?
Yes, the level of ignorance about prey drive and dog-on-other-animal aggression is just astounding. It's people projecting their own human values on to dogs. Stop thinking about dogs as though they have human brains, please. I hope most of these people don't have dogs themselves because they don't understand the species or the fact that they are domesticated carnivores descended from wolves. A wolf isn't going to hesitate to kill a small dog either.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
WRONG!

My boy is Lab mixed with Border Collie. He is dog aggressive. So much for that theory.
and my fear aggressive towards dogs fella, Dave, is lab mixed with boxer and possibly shepherd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree. I would called the police and the dog would have been put down as "vicious". I would not want to keep a dog that would want to attack or kill another dog. It has happened once so how long before it happens again? What if the dog gets out? If you can't control a pet, it is time to either get help or give the pet up. I am surprised the neighbor did not call the police but perhaps she was in shock. I'm guessing she is getting a lot of outside advice on this. I know a lot of home insurance policies will not cover a Rott.

so, since my Davey-Long-Legs is so terrified of other dogs he reacts with aggression when he sees one, I should have him put down or i should get rid of him??

Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Yes, the level of ignorance about prey drive and dog-on-other-animal aggression is just astounding. It's people projecting their own human values on to dogs. Stop thinking about dogs as though they have human brains, please. I hope most of these people don't have dogs themselves because they don't understand the species or the fact that they are domesticated carnivores descended from wolves. A wolf isn't going to hesitate to kill a small dog either.
Yep, the dog world is different than ours. There is absolutely no reason to believe this dog is dangerous to other people. This was a dog thing.

The OP is liable for damages if the neighbors sue. The cost of the dog and substantial amount for pain and suffering.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
late, as already pointedout rehoming an agressive dog is irresponsible so yes, Davey should be imediatly euthanized as the agressive evil potential killer he is...
As should every one of us because heck even if theyve never shown any agression prior as this thread points out a "frinedly" dog could suddenly turn agressive and kill another dog..so why take the risk at all?!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
The dog is not a Rottweiler, it is a mix. I have no idea why people keep calling something with even a hint of a breed something it is not.

Typical predator-prey situation; just as dogs kill mice, squirrels, etc, dogs are predators. Cats also are. The hysteria over this is ridiculous (in regards to the dog itself, the situation is tragic), a dog is going to be a dog many times, even when unexpected. It could even have been an alpha assertion gone wrong.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The dog is not a Rottweiler, it is a mix. I have no idea why people keep calling something with even a hint of a breed something it is not.

Typical predator-prey situation; just as dogs kill mice, squirrels, etc, dogs are predators. Cats also are. The hysteria over this is ridiculous (in regards to the dog itself, the situation is tragic), a dog is going to be a dog many times, even when unexpected. It could even have been an alpha assertion gone wrong.
True, my parents doxie likes to kill rabbits, thank goodness the rabbits are usually faster than him. Between him and my retriver they killed two birds last year. I guess they ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO AGRESSIVE because they have a prey drive. They are animals. What happened sucks but it happens in the animal world.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Lesson learned - the next time someone thinks or utters "my dog wouldn't (fill in the blank)" - think again.

Real cases: My dog wouldn't go after that German Shepherd at the dog park. He ended up looking like he was doing a WWF event with that same dog until me and the owner broke it up.

My dog wouldn't turn on me. Almost true except for the time he bit me when I broke him and another dog he was fighting up.

My dog is not an "aggressive breed." Nonetheless, any dog can be aggressive - to other dogs, to people, to prey, completely out of the blue. Training can help but there is no such thing as a foolproof way to avoid all possibilities.

If a dog kills another dog there is no going back (to echo some others' comments). To think a dog confuses another dog with prey (somehow ignoring all scents, hormones, other dog-to-dog communication methods) is incredibly naive.

There are those who understand risk management and those who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs