Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,324 times

Advertisements

Why is a dog from a local shelter $250??????????????? Seems crazy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
I say go buy the $2000 doodle from the "breeder" because if you've got that kind of money to spend on a mutt from someone who doesn't show and most likely doesnt health test the parents, then no one deserves it more!

al meanness aside, id go for the bicon mix, if your going to get a ixed breed the ONLY place you should be getting it is from a helter.

YES all dog breeds were once created by mixing breeds, BUT they were "perfecte over many may many generations with a goal in mind a breed standard to adhere to ect...
these doodle mixes are being bred for money pure and simple,even the labradooles original breedr (who DID have a goal inmind but the breed even after many generations never fulfilled those goals so dropped the breed asa whole) is ashamed of whats happened with that fad.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM

dualie, I the north east at least that's a pretty standard "adoption fee" it supposed to cover vacinations, spay/neuter ect and then pad the accounts for those that come in who need a lot more medical care (ie parvo cases, broken bones ect that need a lot more in terms of medical costs. a parvo case can set a shelter back $500-$4000 per parvo pup depending on how hard there going to try to save them...they need the extra funds form high adoption fes to cover I case of those cases.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,716 times
If we forget the money/breeder/shelter issue and focus on breed and age then what would be a better choice?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,324 times
THe 3 breeds are all so different, and their stories are all so different.
Shelter Bich/poo- any idea why he was turned into the shelter? Could be a good reason such as death, divorce (not that those are good things but ok reasons) or could be he's a snotty little bugger that was tough to live with. The combo of the two breeds should make a nice companion, no shedding and fairly easy to live with ... IF.... and that is the great unknown. But, you will need to have it groomed probably every 6-8 wks and keep it brushed in between so it's coat doesn't get matted. Small dog, easy to take with you places.

Kennel Lab- if the dog has been well socialized and or worked... then it may make a great companion. if it has been totally in a kennel with none of those things, then I would probably not go there. Labs usually make wonderful pets.
labs shed, and shed a lot.. but a good warm bath and a good brushing once a week, you are done. Not a small dog, needs exercise to remain sane.

Doodle- I have known some great doodles, and it's a puppy so you can raise it as you want. But... $2000 for a doodle- not me! Doodles can be tough dogs, or sweethearts. They may not shed, or they may shed like crazy. They may have an easy DIY coat, or you may have to pay a groomer to clipper it. I've also known some not so nice doodles... they all need training. Can grow into pretty dang big dogs who need a lot of exercise to remain sane.

lots for you to think about....what is your lifestyle and what do you want in a companion animal?

And wow.... used to be $25 to spring a dog from a shelter! Thanks for that update

Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
THe 3 breeds are all so different, and their stories are all so different.
Remember they are not breeds. Two of them are mixes, so guessing what the temperament would be is just that, a guess.

The only breed here is the Lab, which makes it a whole lot predictable compared to the other mixes.

I have worked with all of those mixed breeds for years, and I can honestly say that they run the gamut as far as having different temperaments that are all over the place...because they are mutts.

Op, your best predictor here would be to either meet the parents, or buy and adult dog that has already formed its temperament. Temperament is highly heritable in dogs, so sire and dam is a great indicator, but remember that environment plays a very large role overall.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
These are my choices at the moment,1 year old house trained Bichon Poo from local shelter/$250, breeder's 3 year old kennel raised retired AKC Labradore Retriver Dam/$500, 8 week old AKC Goldendoodle puppy/$2,000 from a local breeder. Which one would you eliminate and which one would be your ideal choice?
Is there even such a thing as an AKC goldendoodle? that's amixed breed, not recognized by any kennel club as far as I know. And $2000 is ROBBERY.

In any case, what we would choose is totally irrelevant. We don't even know you or your circumstances. This is a very personal decision...but I would still never pay $2000 for a dog. Not ever. I suggest you visit some shelters.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Why is a dog from a local shelter $250??????????????? Seems crazy to me.
Our adoption fee for Teddy from a rescue group was $250. Yes, that's high. We only paid $45 for Karma from a humane society, and she was spayed. Teddy's fee was to cover his neutering, microchip and a health check, but the vet they required us to use was about 50 miles away, in Missouri. So we had our own vet fo the neutering and chipping and considered the adoption fee to be a donation.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:15 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Please consider adoption. Giving people, who think they are scientists and try breeding exotic-sounding dogs, thousands of dollars when you could adopt 20 for that amount just doesn't seem right. They also can end up having lots of health problems down the road. Research breeds which fit your lifestyle and check out some mixes up for adoption nearby. You can even skip over the puppy potty-training phase and get a young pup who's ready to go and be your hero.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Tina, no the "golden doodle" CANNOT be akc registered, assuming golden parent and poodle parent then the parents could be AKC, but that then makes the puppies F1's and even more prone to be very random in which ways genetics will play...

but mixed breeds CANNOT be akcregistered no matter what the registration on the parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs