Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

Good point Riveree. You just never know. Its just trying to convince people that "itll never happen to me" that it just may well happen. We all need to stand up and fight BSL together, because when one group looses, well all eventually loose.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:42 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
i appreciate your calm demeanor and that you didnt attack me personally.
thank you for that.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:30 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,657 times
"I got his mouth open, which it pretty unbelievable because their jaws lock"

LMAO

Yes this is a creditable source indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i would love it if there were a pit bull sub forum because it seems that pit bull posts normally involve things like ear cropping and breeding and bull baiting (what ever that is!) and tons of bias and denial and waaay too many pictures.
i really dont think that most pet owners deal with things like ear cropping and such. ear cropping may be a normal issue to talk about amongst pit bull owners but for the average dog owner it seems foreign and odd and just starts controversy.
LOL you can't be serious. Now breeding is "bad"? It doesn't appear to me that Pit Bull owners are starting bizarre threads about breeding and that it starts debates. The threads I've seen about breeding I remember most recently was a German Shepherd. What do you mean tons of bias and denial? Who isn't biased to their breed? I see many people here who are hands down for one breed, not everyone but there are several whether that breed is a Rottweiler or an Australian Shepherd. I certainly love my chosen breed but when it is asked (about them) I give a totally non bias write up good and BAD because I don't want someone who can't handle one to go out and get one. That would be bad for the breed. Just because reality is different from what you like to hear or what you believe doesn't mean others are in denial.

If you don't want to see pics of Pit Bulls don't look at them. You're the one who is being negatively bias. No one is forcing you to look at the ugly, mean Pit Bulls. You started your own thread about Pit Bulls, what did you expect? People who love Pit Bulls would reply and answer. So thats what you got. So it seems you were starting controversy.

Ear cropping is common in many breeds, it isn't foreign or odd to other breeds. Almost all show Doberman and Great Danes have their ears cropped. Boxers as well and many other breeds. There are probably more APBT who are show champions with NATURAL ears vs other breeds which are cropped. Many judges can be biased against natural ears. I'm sure the other breeds out number Pit Bulls. It is very hard to finish an AmStaff with natural ears, the same as any other AKC breed. The AST standard says natural preferred but its much harder to finish a natural dog. So what judges like goes against what the written standard says. I had read Dobies could be shown natural tail, yet breeders are still docking and showing and most judges still have a biased for a docked tail. So I don't think it is at all foreign or odd to other breeds.
Neither is breeding foreign or odd. There were several people here who got their dogs from breeders. Some who are even breeders. The only thing would be bull baiting, but then again thats not done any more and its part of the history of the APBT and OTHER breeds. English Bulldog, American Bulldog, Bull Terrier, ect. Not just the APBT/AST. Should mastiff owners need a sub forum since their dogs were used to guard against poachers and their ancestors as gladiators and war dogs? History is history and each breed is different, some breeds history only lies in the past and they no longer do a function of their ancestors. It doesn't mean they need a specific forum to discuss it.

It seems that you are the one who is being biased and wanting to start controversy. You attempted it for the sake of argument it seems. Pit Bulls owners are not here to start odd and foreign post for controversial reasons. It might be nice to have a sub forum but it isn't needed. I have started plenty of threads and made post which apply to dog owners/dogs in general and not just Pit Bulls owners. Sometimes post are started for a certain breed or type (herder, gundog) that shouldn't be a problem for others on the forum.

I'm on another forum with many, many dog owners of different breeds and when threads are started for a certain breed/type no one gets upset, they just don't post there if they have nothing to contribute. Whats the big deal?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 PM

Don't lump ALL Pit Bull owners together. We are all individuals. I have never made a joke of a tragedy no matter if it was committed by a Pit Bull or other breed. A tragedy is a tragedy and if it was a Pit Bull it is still just as wrong as any other dog. Just because I own a certain breed I don't condone unacceptable behavior or their irresponsible owners.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned There are enough Pit Bull and bully breed forums out there that we don't need to add a sub forum here.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-24-2007 at 02:55 AM..

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Default News, Pit owners responding to pit bull attack news stories with humor and cutesy pics not allowed!

We don't want this thread to deteriorate.

To be fair to nicolepsy, she DOES raise questions that the uninformed public asks. Its like when people ask me questions about Native Americans that make me want to roll my eyes... but there are people who know next to nothing about APBT's other than heresay and what the media portrays.

So, we have to let her voice her concerns. And learn to attack the issue, not the person.

On the other hand, nicolepsy, if your mind is closed, just state that your mind is made up and NOTHING is going to change your opinion and then people will slowly stop responding to your posts. But please don't give in to the frustration by asking someone if they can read. That only exacerbates the situation.

I worked with a guy who said his friend fed his "pit" gun powder with raw hamburger meat to make him mean. True story. Those are the stories that make people fear pit bulls.

I went to the vet today, and noticed a lot of LOST posters. I mentioned that there was an unusual amount and the vet asst. said that usually means someone is operating a pit bull kennel and are "dognapping" dogs to train their pits. Sad, but true fact of our world today.

I also told the vet about this thread. He said pits are not genetically predisposed to be biters or attack without provocation, but due to the breeding of pits for fighting, some of the them don't cut the mustard and are left to stray.
Once in a while he hears of a pit bull stray that was rescued by someone goes off, but it is rare.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:11 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
they probably didnt show a picture because the dog was dead and most people dont want to look at a dead dog?
Hahaha!!! And I'm sure the dog's owner never took any pictures of it! They showed pictures of two pugs, the one that was attacked and the guys other Pug. But they didn't show a picture of the so-called "pit bull"?

Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
I said I live by the law of anything traceable, and my dogs not being properly licensed, no matter how questionable & ridiculous the law may seem is traceable.

No matter how many neighbors turn a blind eye, if something happened they would be the first to say, 'I knew something would happen, ' or 'that person has had those dogs for years'. And if cops at the Common are turning a blind eye, it only takes one cop who doesn't. Just like the RT128 stupid speed limit of 55, most cops don't care if your going 70, but here and there one does, and your held accountable. $$$$

It's also doubtful your friend has those dogs listed on his HO insurance. Know what can happen then? It's called culpability. The media, insurance company, and police (IF something happened and one of the dogs bit someone) will put it all together. Not licensed, $$$, not listed on insurance, and the homeowner will not only be criminally responsible but a civil suit will ensue and good old HO will not fight it. More $$$

I never said BAD owner, I said not responsible.

Again, ignorance is not a legal defense to the court. And if persons don't have access to the Internet, they need to know the law before getting the dog JUST LIKE you need to know the laws of (registration, insurance & excise taxes etc..) before buying a vehicle.

That is your choice. I have worked too hard for 35 years to have some things in life and I don't want to lose what I have accumulated because of a civil judgment by preponderance of evidence.

Why give the man any ammo?

People with questionable breed animals need to come together and at least attempt to change the stupid laws. In the meantime follow those laws so if anything they don't have to fork out even more $$$ in a civil suit.

Hey, I don't believe my house will ever catch fire but I have insurance just in case it does. Why? I don't want to be responsible and have to pay.

nope, my LL has home insurance, gets a discount b/c his dogs are CGC certified. and I'm not quite sure how a dog license is traceable (truthfully; my dog was never licensed and we never had any trouble, no fines or anything. back then (late 90's), the city just never checked)

are you a lawyer? just wondering because you sound like one. I only ask b/c, while the points you bring up are great and very valid, it just isn't likely to stick w/ the pit owners I was talking about. these aren't the type of people that go searching for various laws before taking in that stray pit puppy or buying one from a friend's litter. they may not know the legal consequences of not following the BSL. seriously, some of these people just don't know about the BSL and it's not their fault.

anyways, back to the original story: has there been any more news about this attack? I'm a bit worried because I seem to remember Josef being a minor celebrity of sorts (designer or something) and if he started railing against pits, that might jump start the whole state wide ban again (b/c politicians don't really care when the average Joe gets bitten by any random dog; it's only when a child, celeb, or some politician's dog gets bit that an uproar is raised). it would be great that, if the dog wasn't at fault, the victim would come out and say so (people are probably thinking that dog was Satan incarnate when it's possible there's more to the story that would clear things up)

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 PM

again i appreciate a balanced post such as this. no i do not think my mind is closed. no one here has convinced me yet to change my mind though. i am always open to changing my mind if the arguments make sense (to me). it seems that when pit bull owners/lovers/breeders here arent able to convince me/others like they try so very hard to do that they then go into attack mode. yes let's be fair and see if you or anyone else reprimands others that attack me such as what anydaynow said to me on this thread Moderator cut: unnecessaryone last thing that i believe to be wrong with any pit bull threads on this forum is that some pit bull owners here seem to have one goal and one goal only. it is to "raise awareness about breed prejudice". i think if you want to do that then you should go march on capitol hill or write your state rep, etc but not use this forum with one goal and one goal only. i also dont know why others purposely post these negative dog attack news stories. is it maybe to egg everyone on? i think there should be a separate forum OR these news stories shouldnt be allowed to be posted. i think you all (pitt bull lovers) have a TON of work to do regarding bsl and i wish you luck, but since the majority of people think pit bulls are generally dangerous i think your efforts will be wasted. im not saying that it is fair but i do think it is highly likely. it's very funny how you or i can type something and then the reader can change the words and say you said something you didnt. little things like the word SOME seemed to get read as MOST. apbtsamara states above that i referred to pit bulls as "ugly mean pit bulls" and i never used those words nor would i. part of the problem is your brain's interpretation of what your eyes are reading (im not talking about you personally redbird but alot of others including myself maybe tend to interpret incorrectly what others have actually said. let's be honest that some pit bull owners here have disliked me from my very first question "why would you want to own a pitbull". i never posted that question with the intent of arguing. i had no idea that most would attack me. no idea. i truly wondered why of alllll the breeds to choose from they would choose that one. some said "these dogs choose us" which i found to be a lovely answer but when they found they couldnt convince me to believe what they wanted they then went into attack mode and held a grudge. so be it. i dont mind. i just wish that people would read things slowly and multiple times sometimes. thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
We don't want this thread to deteriorate.

To be fair to nicolepsy, she DOES raise questions that the uninformed public asks. Its like when people ask me questions about Native Americans that make me want to roll my eyes... but there are people who know next to nothing about APBT's other than heresay and what the media portrays.

So, we have to let her voice her concerns. And learn to attack the issue, not the person.

On the other hand, nicolepsy, if your mind is closed, just state that your mind is made up and NOTHING is going to change your opinion and then people will slowly stop responding to your posts. But please don't give in to the frustration by asking someone if they can read. That only exacerbates the situation.

I worked with a guy who said his friend fed his "pit" gun powder with raw hamburger meat to make him mean. True story. Those are the stories that make people fear pit bulls.

I went to the vet today, and noticed a lot of LOST posters. I mentioned that there was an unusual amount and the vet asst. said that usually means someone is operating a pit bull kennel and are "dognapping" dogs to train their pits. Sad, but true fact of our world today.

I also told the vet about this thread. He said pits are not genetically predisposed to be biters or attack without provocation, but due to the breeding of pits for fighting, some of the them don't cut the mustard and are left to stray.
Once in a while he hears of a pit bull stray that was rescued by someone goes off, but it is rare.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-24-2007 at 02:56 AM..

Old 11-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Hahaha!!! And I'm sure the dog's owner never took any pictures of it! They showed pictures of two pugs, the one that was attacked and the guys other Pug. But they didn't show a picture of the so-called "pit bull"?
what is your point? im sorry if some people dont take a million photos a day like you seem to. the guy that owned the dog was out of town or something so how could they even get a pix? why do you laugh at everything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs